Announcement Block
As of 12/1/2021, a major update of the forum software was accomplished

Update: 3/7/2024: The Eagles email account at GoDaddy no longer works. I have set up a gmail account as a workaround: eaglesinternational.email at gmail.com

Registration is open to the public (*) and free from any cost or obligation. Please allow up to 36 hours for your application to be processed. If you have problems registering, please email me at: eaglesinternational.email at gmail.com
(*) spambots will be deleted -- only legitimate public applications will be processed.

Reminder: the "quick links" menu offers you the best navigation of this forum -- you need to be registered and logged in to see that menu.

Cooling Fan Drives,Hyd vs Belt

This is a public forum to discuss Eagle related technical issues. If you are having a problem with your Eagle, this is the place to find help.
van
Club Member
Club Member

Cooling Fan Drives,Hyd vs Belt

Post by van »

I'd like to hear from the members ,any pros and cons for each system.It has been said before that alot of hydraulic units were replaced with a belt drive system. My ? is, are there any of you guys still running hydraulic fan drives with any success ?I really don't want to go thru the expense of switching to a belt set up if I can use what I already have.I already know the system has a leak (possibly at the hydraulic pump shaft seal) and might well be the cause of my over heating problem ,Have replaced the radiator,the thermostats are good (tested),water pump is good also.that only leaves out the Thermostatic valve and the switching valve,which I have no clue where to locate them(think I'm missing a few pages).I talked to a Prevo owner who has a similar Hyd fan system (bad switching valve)and eliminated the switching valve and allowed the fan to run at speed all the time ,and claims it works fine like that .Any thoughts on this as always will be greatly appreciated . :)
Sunchaser Art
Board Member
Board Member
FMCA #: F351294
Bus Model: 1988 Eagle 15

Re: Cooling Fan Drives,Hyd vs Belt

Post by Sunchaser Art »

Van-

No problems with my hydraulic system. . .my thermostat switch is disconnected, I've eliminated the A/C fan side of the hydraulics, and I replaced the filter. I run a consistent 180-degrees unless I hold it at 75 mph or better on a hot day or get into a climb with low turbo boost, then the temp will gradually climb to 190. When I see the temp start to climb, I put on lighter shoes and back outta the right pedal!

Art
Art Wales
1988 Eagle 15
6V92/740
Riverside County, CA
van
Club Member
Club Member

Post by van »

So Art what you are saying is the fan runs all out constantly?
oops double posted
Last edited by van on Thu Apr 09, 2009 8:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
van
Club Member
Club Member

Post by van »

So Art what you are saying is the fan runs all out constantly?I got no problem with the fan running that way,especially with my heavy foot LOL.That's good news,I heard that the electrostatic valve(switching valve)are around 1200 bucks to replace.You are the second person I know that is running his hydr fan that way with reasonable success.Harry Fry ,from the Fry Bros band runs his Hyd fan set up that way in his Prevost ,and claims it runs better than it did with the valve installed,interesting,thanks Art