Announcement Block
As of 12/1/2021, a major update of the forum software was accomplished

Update: 3/7/2024: The Eagles email account at GoDaddy no longer works. I have set up a gmail account as a workaround: eaglesinternational.email at gmail.com

Registration is open to the public (*) and free from any cost or obligation. Please allow up to 36 hours for your application to be processed. If you have problems registering, please email me at: eaglesinternational.email at gmail.com
(*) spambots will be deleted -- only legitimate public applications will be processed.

Reminder: the "quick links" menu offers you the best navigation of this forum -- you need to be registered and logged in to see that menu.

Model 10 Window and air bag suspension discussion

This is a public forum to discuss Eagle related technical issues. If you are having a problem with your Eagle, this is the place to find help.
jcb
Bus Model: 1981 Eagle Model 10

Re: Model 10 Window

Post by jcb »

Yes, Walter, the double bag set-up designed by Perley on my drive axle is working great. I seriously can not tell any difference. I only have the set up on the drivers side rear wheel yet , so I can’t testify to the ride in one that has them on both sides. I will say though, that I won’t hesitate to put it on the other side if and when I need it. I don’t have a design for the front, so if one of those fails, I’ll be figuring that one out. You can contact Perley J Benson through Gacebook....,just type his name into the search engine. He’ll get back to you. He’s very proud of his system, as well he should be. It’s the most simplistic design I’ve seen, and though it is a bit of a chore.......not a major one, and I could see how one person could conceivably do it. I wouldn’t, but you could. I know there are a few who want to sell you a new Torsilastic, and I respect that, and emphasize with the rationale........but for me, bagging it was the only sensible choice. Parts were purchased at NAPA, and steel was purchased at the ALRO STEEL public outlet. Plates are already cut, but you’ll need a good metal saw too.
Jim Cummings
1983 Model 10
8V71
Auto Trans
Tour Bus Conversion Ex-Senator Coach
http://www.thejimcummingsband.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
jcb

Post by jcb »

Walter and Jim,

Here is the video Scott Crosby posted of my install. It’s not as complete as I would have expected, but gives a good idea of the process. I’m happy to help should you ever need it on your bus.
https://youtu.be/CVjCTw8RSvk
Jim Cummings
1983 Model 10
8V71
Auto Trans
http://www.thejimcummingsband.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
DoubleEagle
Club Member
Club Member
Bus Model: 1975 Model 05 Eagle
1982 Model 10 Eagle
1984 Model 10 Eagle
1994 Model 15-45 Eagle

Post by DoubleEagle »

Jim, thanks for posting the video, it explains the highlights well enough. My main concern with this type of setup is the welding of the square tube to the Torsilastic. I don't see how you avoided doing damage to the rubber compounds inside. If I were to do this arrangement I think I would fashion a round bracket that could be bolted together around the tube of the Torsilastic. Perhaps there was no reason to worry about the condition of the rubber because the Torsilastic was completely shot? Another concern is whether it would be rebuildable as a Torsilastic in the future, if it was sent to Sulastic in Texas, or the outfit in Mexico? Have the welds held up well so far?
Walter
Dayton, Ohio
1975 Silvereagle Model 05, 8V71, 4 speed Spicer
1982 Eagle Model 10, 6V92, 5 speed Spicer
1984 Eagle Model 10, 6V92 w/Jacobs, Allison HT740
1994 Eagle Model 15-45, Series 60 w/Jacobs, Allison HT746
jcb

Post by jcb »

HiWalter,
First.....sorry I don't see your posts here immediately......always running to keep up at my business.
Anyway, let's address your points.
1- Yes, I know the video is not a complete one, but Scott seemed to be interested in just highlighting it. As it was two miserable 95 degree days in the middle of the hottest time of year, I can't blame him. Took me a few days to recover, glad to get it done, but it was a .....well you know.
2- Yes, it was a concern to avoid either damaging or starting a fire internally in the Torsilastic. Perley had mentioned it in passing, and while we were welding, I realized that melting rubber likely was not a good thing. So, we did it in spaces, and gave it plenty of time to cool in between welds. But, a couple of points here....first, after 2 years of adjusting, fretting, and getting madder by the day.......I'd had enough of fooling with it. Things go bad. That's the way it is. So I didn't much care what I did to the aged out, totally shot Torso. i suppose I could tear it out, send it to Mexico, have to re-mortgage my house, and probably have a nervous breakdown during the process....but I bagged it, and I'm totally happy I did. I'll never have to screw with it again. AND, I absolutely cannot tell the least bit of difference in the ride.
3- The welds are holding up fine, though I plan on checking everything in the spring just in case. It's important to Rustolium the whole thing up asap, so that it doesn't start rusting under there.
4- I like your idea of formulating a bracket, and there is a post here on the forum that shows a CAD drawing of one that a fellow designed, but never built. Check it out. It's well done. It looks like there are a number of people who have designed and built different ways of installing bags on these Eagles. Everyone has a different opinion. But, saying that....my reasoning was/is twofold. First, Perley's design was the simplest, and most cost effective design for my purposes. Second, I neither have the help or ability to be tearing out half or all of the rear end of this Model 10 to begin with , AND this beast is 35 years old with a few million miles and a whole lot of other issues to be pumping thousands and thousand of dollars into something that would sell for $15,000 if I was lucky. Since it was one of the Senator Leased Tour Buses, it is worth saving to be a curiosity, and I do use it for short runs with my band, but just doesn't make the least bit of sense to load immeasurable and unreasonable amounts of money into it. Don't get me wrong, I've now had 3 of the Eagles, and every one had it's own set of issues, and I love it....but sometimes even someone like me has to be sensible about this stuff. And that's kind of all it really is......stuff.
Next challenge is to deal with a failing FRONT torso, replace the front window,repair a few rusted frame sections, find and fix a plethora of engine leaks, replace hoses, figure out why the steering is wandering, check the steering column welds,fix the leaking air pump, take out the huge ONAN generator and haul it to a repair shop,new water system pump, fix the Sat system,re-index the left bogie,and get the old bugger painted.....but that's a subject for another very long post.
Take care Buddy, and Merry Christmas!!
jc
Jim Cummings
1983 Model 10
8V71
Auto Trans
DoubleEagle
Club Member
Club Member
1982 Model 10 Eagle
1984 Model 10 Eagle
1994 Model 15-45 Eagle

Post by DoubleEagle »

Jim, thanks for all the details, it looks like you have plenty of things to fix, about normal for old buses. If indeed the torsilastic was not providing any support, and was resting on the stop, and it sank back down after being adjusted, you had little to lose by welding (except starting a fire). The other styles of airbags I have seen in the center over the axle, may or may not be better than this arrangement, but in the case of the airbags in the Eagle manual, they were intended as a supplemental arrangement to provide extra leveling lift. I would still lean toward fashioning a rounded mount that bolts on. The quality of the welds in your setup will be crucial, I hope they hold on. I would eyeball them often until they develop a track record. Was it stick welding, or MIG?

As far as your steering wander goes, it could be misalignment, play in the steering box, loose tie rod ends, or worn king pins. Start with the cheapest first. The torsilastic adjustment in the front can affect the front geometry as well. My Model 05 was wearing the tires on the outside edge when I first got it, but after I adjusted all the torsilastics, that problem went away.

I need to replace (or bag) the driver side rear on my Senator 84. My intention is to take one off my parts Eagle and just whip it in. The problem is it's either too cold or too hot when I have time to do it. I need a bigger whip, I'm getting older and lazier. :o
Walter
Dayton, Ohio
jcb

Post by jcb »

Hello again Walter,

Update:  Just replaced/fixed the rear post on the air bag system. Has broken (along with ruined inner tire) 3 times. Hopefully, I just hired an excellent welder, and we can make it last longer. Your suggestion of a "sleeve" is absolutely the way to go.....and I will do that route as soon as I build up the scratch and care again. This time it was in a campground and 3 days of grinding/fixing/stressing/welding and surely upsetting the rest of the campground. I hope it lasts until I re-do it. Overall, it's an excellent system.....but the weak link is the tube welding. You called it right.

Later,
Jim
Jim Cummings
1983 Model 10
8V71
Auto Trans
beltguy
Site Admin
Site Admin
FMCA #: F246286
Bus Model: 1985 Eagle 10 with Series 60 and Eaton AutoShift 10 speed transmission (SOLD)

Re: Model 10 Window and air bag suspension discussion

Post by beltguy »

Jim, thanks so much for the update.  I took the liberty to adding the air bag discussion to the subject line and put an editorial note on the first post. 

I would sure like to see what modifications were made to the original air bag conversion.  Also, have you now done both sides?

Jim
Jim Shepherd
Evergreen, CO
'85 Eagle 10 with Series 60 & Eaton AutoShift 10 speed transmission SOLD
2005 Dodge 2500 with 5.9 Cummins and 6 speed manual 2022 Sunset 28 foot trailer
Bus Project pages: http://beltguy.com/Bus_Project/busproject.htm
Blog: https://beltguy.com/Travelogue/
Email: eaglesinternational.email at gmail.com   NOTE this email box is only for general correspondence related to the forum and not technical advice.  Technical questions will not receive a response.
jcb

Post by jcb »

Jim,

No..... doesn't need it yet. Have to deal with the same problem on the front drivers side. Still figuring that out, since I'm a little burned out with it for a bit. Just spent 2 months on it everyday, and need a break. I'll keep you informed....and thank you for all you do.

Jim
Jim Cummings
1983 Model 10
8V71
Auto Trans
DoubleEagle
Club Member
Club Member
1982 Model 10 Eagle
1984 Model 10 Eagle
1994 Model 15-45 Eagle

Post by DoubleEagle »

Jim, this is a case where I'm not glad I was right. Those welds were suspect to me when they were first done. I don't think it's too late to fashion a bracket to encircle the Torsilastic and weld that to the air bag support. I realize that you needed to get something done at the time, but it might have been more cost effective to have replaced the Torsilastic. Currently I have to replace the Torsilastic on the driver side rear as well on my ex-Senator Coach. I just recently removed the whole axle from the 1982 Model 10 I have to repair a failed axle on a fellow Veteran's Eagle in upper peninsula Michigan. I plan on taking out the Torsilastics to use now that they are fully exposed. The whole process of taking out the axle by myself with mostly hand tools is documented thoroughly on Scott's Bus Grease Monkey forum site. Here are a few pictures:
002.jpg
002.jpg (104.84 KiB) Viewed 1268 times
The first picture shows the twenty ton jack that was necessary to seperate the Torsilastic from the axle because of forty years of corrosion. I chained a beam across both Torsilastics and put the jack between it and the axle. The second shows one of the the chain hoists I used to lower the axle down. I tried posting more pictures, but apparently they are too big.
006.jpg

Walter
Dayton, Ohio
DoubleEagle
Club Member
Club Member
1982 Model 10 Eagle