Announcement Block
As of 12/1/2021, a major update of the forum software was accomplished

Update: 3/7/2024: The Eagles email account at GoDaddy no longer works. I have set up a gmail account as a workaround: eaglesinternational.email at gmail.com

Registration is open to the public (*) and free from any cost or obligation. Please allow up to 36 hours for your application to be processed. If you have problems registering, please email me at: eaglesinternational.email at gmail.com
(*) spambots will be deleted -- only legitimate public applications will be processed.

Reminder: the "quick links" menu offers you the best navigation of this forum -- you need to be registered and logged in to see that menu.

About leveling...

This is a public forum to discuss Eagle related technical issues. If you are having a problem with your Eagle, this is the place to find help.
bsimmons
Bus Model: 1972 Model 5 Silver Eagle

About leveling...

Post by bsimmons »

I don't have the resources to purchase or build a leveling system at the moment (nor the skill I suspect). We've suffered through without leveling at all so far. What would you guys suggest as a way to level out my Model 5? I've read people use boards (sounds sketchy) and I've seen lots of other RVs use various jacks and lego-like leveling blocks.

Seems like a jack system would do the least harm to the suspension. If that's so, where would be the best points under the bus to seat them?
rusty
FMCA #: F341087
Bus Model: 1972 05 completed 2003
1994 15/45 in progress

Re: About leveling...

Post by rusty »

The easiest is to use boards if you are not to far off of level. Some times it is a bit of a challenge to drive up on the boards. If you use jacks and are not lifting the bus to high behind the front and back wheels will be fine.
Wayne
beltguy
Site Admin
Site Admin
FMCA #: F246286
Bus Model: 1985 Eagle 10 with Series 60 and Eaton AutoShift 10 speed transmission (SOLD)

Post by beltguy »

As Wayne said, the structure behind the front wheels and behind the rear wheel is very strong. When you look at them you will see what we are talking about.

Both Wayne and I (and probably others) have fabricated our own hydraulic leveling systems. Wayne uses his quite a bit - mostly when parked to take a load off the torsilastics. I have only used mine when I service the bus (to jack it up) and when I was changing engines. We have not found any parking that is so bad we could not deal with it for a night or so.

Some folks have added air bags to both the front and drive axles - primarily to augment the torsilastics. However, the bags can be used to level the bus.

Jim
Jim Shepherd
Evergreen, CO
'85 Eagle 10 with Series 60 & Eaton AutoShift 10 speed transmission SOLD
2005 Dodge 2500 with 5.9 Cummins and 6 speed manual 2022 Sunset 28 foot trailer
Bus Project pages: http://beltguy.com/Bus_Project/busproject.htm
Blog: https://beltguy.com/Travelogue/
Email: eaglesinternational.email at gmail.com   NOTE this email box is only for general correspondence related to the forum and not technical advice.  Technical questions will not receive a response.
DoubleEagle
Club Member
Club Member
Bus Model: 1975 Model 05 Eagle
1982 Model 10 Eagle
1984 Model 10 Eagle
1994 Model 15-45 Eagle

Post by DoubleEagle »

You guys forgot to tell him how many thousands of dollars it cost to put those levelers in. ;)
Walter
Dayton, Ohio
1975 Silvereagle Model 05, 8V71, 4 speed Spicer
1982 Eagle Model 10, 6V92, 5 speed Spicer
1984 Eagle Model 10, 6V92 w/Jacobs, Allison HT740
1994 Eagle Model 15-45, Series 60 w/Jacobs, Allison HT746
bsimmons
Bus Model: 1972 Model 5 Silver Eagle

Post by bsimmons »

So 2x6's should do the trick then?
DoubleEagle
Club Member
Club Member
1982 Model 10 Eagle
1984 Model 10 Eagle
1994 Model 15-45 Eagle

Post by DoubleEagle »

bsimmons wrote:So 2x6's should do the trick then?
Maybe, if they are cut at a bevel and stepped up gradually. You might have trouble driving up on them otherwise with that high-geared manual.
Walter
Dayton, Ohio
luvrbus
Club Member
Club Member
FMCA #: F262917
Bus Model: 05

Post by luvrbus »

You really don't have much of a choice now but to build your own,I understand Big Foot will no longer install levelers on a Eagle any longer,they were around $4000.00 installed on Doyles Eagle.
I had 64,000 lbs HWH installed on my Eagle at HWH and by the time they got through running a beam across the front and beefing the rear it was almost $8,000.00 in 2001.
Keep your eyes open some times in Quartzsite I see the systems from a RV for $500.00 new in the box and you can make those work,about the only time I used mine was to take weight of the suspension in the shop
frodnew
Bus Model: 1989 Model 15, Silver Eagle, 40'

Post by frodnew »

Eventually I'm going to have to make some for my bus too. Does anyone have any blueprint/napkin plans of the ideal length, width, height for each of the models or is it a one size fits all leveling system?
What did you use for connecting the boards to each other and keeping them together?
Did you use special grips on the bottom or cut serrated edges so they don't slip?
Does anyone have photos they could attach?
This is a great subject that I enjoy speaking to others about because I've never been down this road before. The stories they tell of how you can roll a can of Coke across the floor or ending up on one side of the bed in the morning are pretty funny... till it happens to me. :-/
beltguy
Site Admin
Site Admin
FMCA #: F246286
Bus Model: 1985 Eagle 10 with Series 60 and Eaton AutoShift 10 speed transmission (SOLD)

Post by beltguy »

I built my own system. If you go to my project pages I have some detail there. I am in the process of re-writing those pages, but currently the discussion starts here: http://beltguy.com/Bus_Project/busproject4.htm. Please note that the photos are thumbnails and can be enlarged.

Quite a while ago I made a table of components for this system. I have attached that document:
Component Table.doc
(10 KiB) Downloaded 446 times
I don't know if the components I list are still available, but you can check them out. The most important decision is the choice of cylinders and Northern still carries them: https://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools ... 92044-1007. I am very happy with these units.

For the cylinders, one of my concerns was to make sure the rod was of sufficient diameter to be stable when extended since our buses see some side load.

Most folks use a central hydraulic supply system. There are three options to supply the hydraulic pressure: engine driven pump, 12V pump and 120/240 electric motor driven pump. I tried one 12V pump (I think the one listed) and it did not have enough pressure. I currently use a dual engine hydraulic pump that supplies my PS system from one section and my charge air cooling fan from the other section. I have quick connect fitting in my charge air system and can hook up my jack system when needed.

I have never used my jack system for leveling. I have used it extensively for engine removal and servicing the bus on the under side.

Jim
Jim Shepherd
Evergreen, CO
'85 Eagle 10 with Series 60 & Eaton AutoShift 10 speed transmission SOLD
2005 Dodge 2500 with 5.9 Cummins and 6 speed manual 2022 Sunset 28 foot trailer
Bus Project pages: http://beltguy.com/Bus_Project/busproject.htm
Blog: https://beltguy.com/Travelogue/
Email: eaglesinternational.email at gmail.com   NOTE this email box is only for general correspondence related to the forum and not technical advice.  Technical questions will not receive a response.
DoubleEagle
Club Member
Club Member
1982 Model 10 Eagle
1984 Model 10 Eagle
1994 Model 15-45 Eagle

Post by DoubleEagle »

I find it interesting that several people have indicated that they do not use the hydraulic levelers for leveling as much as jacking the coach up to work on it, or take the load off the torsilastics. I have two sets of new trailer landing gears (Jost Magnums) that I got real cheap (under $300 for all) at an auction that I think might work as levelers. The catch with them is that only one side has the low gear setting for cranking up a loaded trailer (the two stands are connected by a drive shaft). It seems that they would be excellent for jacking the coach up for servicing, and would be very secure and stable. One stand would be enough to lift the front. Weight-wise, they would probably be less than a hydraulic system (the master side is 90 lbs., the slave side is 80 lbs.), and it could be a manual crank system, or driven by an electric motor. The sentiment that torsilastics benefit from having the load taken off while parked for long periods might not be accurate. My 1982 Model 10 that I bought as a parts vehicle, sat in the same spot for fourteen years, and did not loose any height or function at all. (In fact, after getting some wires replaced and getting the prime back in the fuel system, I started it up and drove it 75 miles, shaking out rust particles all the way). :o
Walter
Dayton, Ohio