Announcement Block
As of 12/1/2021, a major update of the forum software was accomplished

Update: 3/7/2024: The Eagles email account at GoDaddy no longer works. I have set up a gmail account as a workaround: eaglesinternational.email at gmail.com

Registration is open to the public (*) and free from any cost or obligation. Please allow up to 36 hours for your application to be processed. If you have problems registering, please email me at: eaglesinternational.email at gmail.com
(*) spambots will be deleted -- only legitimate public applications will be processed.

Reminder: the "quick links" menu offers you the best navigation of this forum -- you need to be registered and logged in to see that menu.

Manual to Power Steering Conversion

This is a public forum to discuss Eagle related technical issues. If you are having a problem with your Eagle, this is the place to find help.
Dreamscape
FMCA #: F391238
Bus Model: 1968 Silver Eagle Model 01

Manual to Power Steering Conversion

Post by Dreamscape »

I have had this power steering box since I have owned the bus. It was hidden in a bay and I have been hauling it around ever since.

Would this box be a likely candidate to install in our 01? If so what is needed to install it as far as mounts go? What power steering pump would work the best driven off the 8V71? What steering wheel system should I look for?

I wanted some opinions so I can start collecting the necessary parts.

Edit below

Dan,

I see that my manual says that the HF64 was an option for the 01. After doing some more research in checking the differances between the two, it looks like the steering column shaft is on the oposite end. Maybe I can't use my HFB70 afterall.

Can you please verify for me before I proceed.

Thanks,

Paul
Paul Lawry
Dreamscape
1968 Eagle 01 #7443
Silver 8V92 HT 740

Dreamscape Build Blog: https://dreamscapesilvereagle.wordpress.com/
SmoothJazz

Re: Manual to Power Steering Conversion

Post by SmoothJazz »

Paul,

I am not tht familiar with the box you have. I would install a HFB64 or a TAS65 steering gear. Both of these are more common and have zero free play in the steering gear.

The HF64 steering gear had a 1/4 inch free play built into the steering gear which made a coach a little harder to handle. I don't believe there was an option for power steering on the 01 Eagles.

Dan
Daniel Lenz
Brownsville, Texas

The work of an unknown good man is like a vein of water flowing hidden underground, secretly making the ground greener.
Songman
Club Member
Club Member
FMCA #: F404262
Bus Model: 1993 Silver Eagle Model 15-45

Post by Songman »

My 20 already has power steering but there is a little bit of play in it. Is that adjustable? I have no idea what unit is in it.
Dale Houston
1993 Eagle 15-45
Nashville, TN
SmoothJazz

Post by SmoothJazz »

The NJT Eagle M-20's had the TAS-65 steering gear. There is only an adjustment for setting the internal stops. If you have play in the steering, it could be a number of other things such as worn tie rod ends at the drag link, intermediate tube, or outer tie rod ends. I would check all of the other parts of the steering system before thinking about the steering gear.
Daniel Lenz
Brownsville, Texas

The work of an unknown good man is like a vein of water flowing hidden underground, secretly making the ground greener.
Songman
Club Member
Club Member
FMCA #: F404262
Bus Model: 1993 Silver Eagle Model 15-45

Post by Songman »

Thanks Dan. It is not bad but it is something I want to look at. I figure I probably need front shocks too.
Dale Houston
1993 Eagle 15-45
Nashville, TN
SmoothJazz

Post by SmoothJazz »

Make sure you get the double action shocks for the front. It will help a great deal to level the coach out quicker from dips in the road.
Daniel Lenz
Brownsville, Texas

Dreamscape

Post by Dreamscape »

We need to have a sticky with part numbers, like for the dual action shocks. I think that would be a big help when locating information that isn't in Da Book. At least not in my book.

Whacha think?
Paul Lawry
Dreamscape
1968 Eagle 01 #7443
Silver 8V92 HT 740

van
Club Member
Club Member

Post by van »

Boy What a great ride down to cliffords today but the whooptie doos headed down to needles Ca.made me deflate the air seat so's i could shoot video of the trip(which is posted),I think I could use those double action shocks.craig first told me of them when I was back in Mo coming home

Van
Dreamscape

Post by Dreamscape »

Van,

Isn't Needles a great place! :lol:

I lived there for about six months in 92, got hot as he!! there. Then I moved to Lake Havasu. The only thing there is the London Bridge! The lake water was hotter than a bathtub! :shock:
Paul Lawry
Dreamscape
1968 Eagle 01 #7443
Silver 8V92 HT 740

Dreamscape

Post by Dreamscape »

Back to the subject at hand.

Where would I find information on the Ross HFB70 I have? I have checked all the web sites and I can't find out the specs anywhere.

I just don't want the one I have turn into a boat anchor!
Paul Lawry
Dreamscape
1968 Eagle 01 #7443
Silver 8V92 HT 740