Announcement Block
As of 12/1/2021, a major update of the forum software was accomplished

Update: 3/7/2024: The Eagles email account at GoDaddy no longer works. I have set up a gmail account as a workaround: eaglesinternational.email at gmail.com

Registration is open to the public (*) and free from any cost or obligation. Please allow up to 36 hours for your application to be processed. If you have problems registering, please email me at: eaglesinternational.email at gmail.com
(*) spambots will be deleted -- only legitimate public applications will be processed.

Reminder: the "quick links" menu offers you the best navigation of this forum -- you need to be registered and logged in to see that menu.

Puzzling Engine Issue

This is a public forum to discuss Eagle related technical issues. If you are having a problem with your Eagle, this is the place to find help.
Florida Eagle
FMCA #: F463073
Bus Model: 1989 Silver Eagle/Model 20

Puzzling Engine Issue

Post by Florida Eagle »

Hi guys,

I have a puzzling (to me) problem with my 1989 6v92T that began about 6 weeks ago. It follows the same pattern each time. Engine starts fine and runs great/normal for about 15-20 minutes. Then the engine loses power and seems to “miss” somewhat. Speed decreases to 25-30. Will not go faster no matter what I try. This period lasts for about 10 minutes. Then the engine seems to resolve the problem and bus slowly picks up speed to normal and thereafter runs fine for remainder of trip. Next day, pattern repeats. Thoughts?

Steve
Steven
1989 Silver Eagle, NJT Model 20
Detroit Diesel 6V-92TA
(Converted NJ Transit Bus)
Bus & Car
Bus Model: 2011 Fiat Van, my daily driver.

Re: Puzzling Engine Issue

Post by Bus & Car »

Automatic or manual?

If automatic, DO NOT TRY THIS!!!

If manual, next time this happens and it is safe to do this (at least 50 MPH on an open flat straight road in highest gear plus little traffic), put gearbox in NEUTRAL. Release the clutch and turn engine off but leave ignition on. Let it coast for at least 15 seconds and restart engine. Coast at idle for at least ten more seconds and put her in gear.

If nothing changed, you have most likely an electronic problem somewhere, like in the engine management computer or a sensor sending bad info to the computer. Oil pressure and coolant temperature sensors are good places to start looking but don't forget things like the throttle position sensor and the mass airflow sensor.. Understand this is NOT a cure and does not normally solve the problem that causes this behavior. It's just a way to make your driving easier until you get the problem resolved.

If automatic, is it a DDEC (electronic) engine and gearbox? It may be going into a 'limp mode' for awhile, likely for a bad sensor as above.

In both cases, replacing the bad sensor or computer will likely solve the problem. Worse yet, it may expose other elcetronic problems.

Good Luck!!!
Stay Fine As A Porcupine!!!///Reste Trés Bien Comme Un Porc-Épic!!!
Florida Eagle

Post by Florida Eagle »

Thanks! It is an automatic. A sensor issue of some type is a good place to start. Appreciate your thoughts and time!
Steven
Detroit Diesel 6V-92TA
luvrbus
Club Member
Club Member
FMCA #: F262917
Bus Model: 05

Post by luvrbus »

That is a 748 in NJ Transit if you suspect a limp mode just pull over and turn the switch off and it will clear the limp mode but check your fluid
Florida Eagle

Post by Florida Eagle »

Thanks for reply. How & where would I turn off switch?
Steven
Detroit Diesel 6V-92TA
thomasinnv
Bus Model: 1998 MCI 102-DL3
11.1 Series 60 w/ Allison B500

Post by thomasinnv »

Master switch...shut engine off and restart

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk
Florida Eagle