Announcement Block
As of 12/1/2021, a major update of the forum software was accomplished

Update: 3/7/2024: The Eagles email account at GoDaddy no longer works. I have set up a gmail account as a workaround: eaglesinternational.email at gmail.com

Registration is open to the public (*) and free from any cost or obligation. Please allow up to 36 hours for your application to be processed. If you have problems registering, please email me at: eaglesinternational.email at gmail.com
(*) spambots will be deleted -- only legitimate public applications will be processed.

Reminder: the "quick links" menu offers you the best navigation of this forum -- you need to be registered and logged in to see that menu.

Dim Turn Signals

This is a public forum to discuss Eagle related technical issues. If you are having a problem with your Eagle, this is the place to find help.
richwriter
FMCA #: F425251
Bus Model: 1981 Silver Eagle Model 10

Dim Turn Signals

Post by richwriter »

My turn signals on the bus are too dim and since I pull the juice for our towed from the back of the bus our towed lights are also too dim.

I’ve checked the wires and circuits (I have a wiring diagram in the manual that came with the bus) and it seems that the problem is what they call the “Variable Load Flasher”). I say that because, although I have full battery power 12+ volts going to the above mentioned “Flasher” I only have 3-9 flashing volts coming off the other side with the turn signal switch on.
Then the current goes through a “Relay” switch (one for the right and one for the left). And that’s the same voltage I’m seeing at the turn signal bulbs and the same voltage that is going to my towed lights. Which explains why the lights seem so dim.

So, the first question is:
1. What is a “Variable Load Flasher”? I understand what a “flasher” is, it’s the “Variable Load” part that I don’t understand.

2. Why would you use a “Variable Load Flasher” AND then send that current through a Relay switch? A Relay Switch I understand is used to control a high amp circuit with a low amp switch. The low amp switch would be the turn signal switch on the column.

The Variable Load Flasher seems to be controlling the Relay Switch.
But this arrangement doesn’t seem to be working correctly. Because only 3-9 Volts is getting through the Relay Switch to the turn signal lights (for the bus and the towed). But that’s the same voltage that is coming from the “Variable Load Flasher” so the Relay Switch doesn’t seem to be the problem.

3. Is it normal for there to be such a huge voltage drop through a “Flasher”? Or does that indicate that the “Variable Load Flasher” is worn out?

We need to leave in a couple days so I’m running out of time to solve this problem.

Thanks for your help.

Richard & Annette McCullough

richwriter
1981 Eagle 10 #20211
6V92T Allison 740
http://www.write-better-fiction.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
beltguy
Site Admin
Site Admin
FMCA #: F246286
Bus Model: 1985 Eagle 10 with Series 60 and Eaton AutoShift 10 speed transmission (SOLD)

Re: Dim Turn Signals

Post by beltguy »

Richard, this is a bit beyond my experience scope, but because of your schedule, I thought I would give you my first take on the problem. I have attached a copy of an Eagle Maintenance Manual page. If I read the page correctly (sorry wiped out tonight), the relay feeds the flasher rather than the other way around.
Turn signal wiring description.pdf
(73.97 KiB) Downloaded 545 times
Stepping back a minute, I have made the assumption that your front panel is essentially stock. If so, I would try taking one of the other mini-ISO relays out of another circuit and put it in either the right or left TS relay socket as a test. My guess is that it will not make a difference.

Next, I would buy a replacement flasher and try it. The flasher should not have anything in the circuitry that would reduce voltage (as designed). My guess is the flasher is bad.

Jim
Jim Shepherd
Evergreen, CO
'85 Eagle 10 with Series 60 & Eaton AutoShift 10 speed transmission SOLD
2005 Dodge 2500 with 5.9 Cummins and 6 speed manual 2022 Sunset 28 foot trailer
Bus Project pages: http://beltguy.com/Bus_Project/busproject.htm
Blog: https://beltguy.com/Travelogue/
Email: eaglesinternational.email at gmail.com   NOTE this email box is only for general correspondence related to the forum and not technical advice.  Technical questions will not receive a response.
richwriter
FMCA #: F425251
Bus Model: 1981 Silver Eagle Model 10

Post by richwriter »

Thanks for the reply Jim,

I have that same page in my manual and I have read it over and over, as well as tracing the lines on the schematic.

And it seems to me that the power runs from the battery then through the flasher and then to the relays (one each for the right and left side) where it is contained (so to speak) until the turn signal switch on the steering column is moved. Effectively activating one relay or the other, which close that respective switch allowing the current to flow to the turn signal lights on that side.

My “Variable Load Flasher” is definitely bad. When I opened it up the points are so fried there is almost nothing left.

And I’ve been searching for two days for a replacement.

Finally thought I found one that would work, a Grote 44730 alternating flasher.

But after driving for 4 hours (there and back) to get it. I hocked it up and it doesn’t work.

I’m getting really, really frustrated at this point.

And I’m not sure what to do.

Richard & Annette McCullough

richwriter
1981 Eagle 10 #20211
6V92T Allison 740
http://www.write-better-fiction.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
beltguy
Site Admin
Site Admin
FMCA #: F246286
Bus Model: 1985 Eagle 10 with Series 60 and Eaton AutoShift 10 speed transmission (SOLD)

Post by beltguy »

I took a look at my flasher and it is a two spade system.

I wonder if you borrowed a two spade flasher out of your car and tried that with one of the circuits whether it would help you in the trouble shooting process.

Jim
Jim Shepherd
Evergreen, CO
'85 Eagle 10 with Series 60 & Eaton AutoShift 10 speed transmission SOLD
2005 Dodge 2500 with 5.9 Cummins and 6 speed manual 2022 Sunset 28 foot trailer
Bus Project pages: http://beltguy.com/Bus_Project/busproject.htm
Blog: https://beltguy.com/Travelogue/
Email: eaglesinternational.email at gmail.com   NOTE this email box is only for general correspondence related to the forum and not technical advice.  Technical questions will not receive a response.
akroyaleagle
Club Member
Club Member
FMCA #: F180747
Bus Model: 1978 Model 05

Post by akroyaleagle »

You will need a heavy duty truck type flasher, available at most parts stores.(or ebay) buy an extra!
May also have to check your grounds.
Joe Laird
'78 05
Sioux Falls, SD