Announcement Block
As of 12/1/2021, a major update of the forum software was accomplished

Update: 3/7/2024: The Eagles email account at GoDaddy no longer works. I have set up a gmail account as a workaround: eaglesinternational.email at gmail.com

Registration is open to the public (*) and free from any cost or obligation. Please allow up to 36 hours for your application to be processed. If you have problems registering, please email me at: eaglesinternational.email at gmail.com
(*) spambots will be deleted -- only legitimate public applications will be processed.

Reminder: the "quick links" menu offers you the best navigation of this forum -- you need to be registered and logged in to see that menu.

Allison HT 740 No reverse

This is a public forum to discuss Eagle related technical issues. If you are having a problem with your Eagle, this is the place to find help.
beltguy
Site Admin
Site Admin
FMCA #: F246286
Bus Model: 1985 Eagle 10 with Series 60 and Eaton AutoShift 10 speed transmission (SOLD)

Re: Allison HT 740 No reverse

Post by beltguy »

I know zip about the mechanical details of the Allison

However, building on Clifford's comments, if this is a sticking situation, I have to wonder what condition the transmission fluid is in. If it has not been changed in the past year or two (or?) I would consider changing it and the filter as a preventative measure.

The question becomes what fluid would you use if you decide to change it. Some folks go full bore and buy Transcend. I think Clifford has said in the past that Transcend is not necessary in an HT740. I had heard that Dextron and engine oil are acceptable.

I looked at an online owners manual for the HT740 (and other versions): http://manuals.chudov.com/M939-Series-T ... Manual.pdf
Hydraulic fluids (oils) used in the transmission are important influences on
transmission performance, reliability, and durability.
• Transmission fluid types recommended for use in the AT, MT, and HT Series
transmissions are TranSynd™, DEXRON® -III, and C-4.
• TranSynd™ is a fully synthetic automatic transmission fluid that meets new
Allison specifications for Severe Duty and Extended Drain Interval
. Please note that the tables showing fluid and filter change intervals are for
TranSynd™, Non-TranSynd™, and mixed transmission fluids.
• Some DEXRON ® -III fluids are also qualified as Type C-4 fluids. To ensure the
fluid is qualified for use in Allison transmissions, check for a DEXRON® -III or
C-4 fluid license, or approval numbers on the container, or consult the lubricant
manufacturer. Consult your Allison Transmission dealer or distributor before
using other fluid types; fluid types such as Type F, and universal farm fluids
may or may not be properly qualified for use in your Allison transmission
It appears that C-4 used to describe diesel engine oil. It appears that the current ratings are CK-4 and CJ-4 but they describe diesel engine oil.

Clear as mud?

Jim
Jim Shepherd
Evergreen, CO
'85 Eagle 10 with Series 60 & Eaton AutoShift 10 speed transmission SOLD
2005 Dodge 2500 with 5.9 Cummins and 6 speed manual 2022 Sunset 28 foot trailer
Bus Project pages: http://beltguy.com/Bus_Project/busproject.htm
Blog: https://beltguy.com/Travelogue/
Email: eaglesinternational.email at gmail.com   NOTE this email box is only for general correspondence related to the forum and not technical advice.  Technical questions will not receive a response.
Clydes Barn
FMCA #: 226731
Bus Model: 1982 Silver Eagle

Post by Clydes Barn »

W0W! Thx Jim for the solid info. I tried finding a manual and as the Forrest Gump of tech I struggle with that. But I serviced it 4500 miles ago and it's Dextron.
Mikes74eagle
FMCA #: F474888
Bus Model: 1974 eagle http://www.eaglesinternational.net/test ... &mode=view

Post by Mikes74eagle »

Just wondering if you got this issue fixed mine did the same on the way to
Sturgis last month
I have a stone Bennett shifter and it turned out to be some bad contact pins
Clydes Barn
FMCA #: 226731
Bus Model: 1982 Silver Eagle

Post by Clydes Barn »

It sort of fixed itself. I never had another problem. Next time I have it serviced I am going to have them pull the pan and polish the valves.
gpzzdrm
Club Member
Club Member
FMCA #: F251204
Bus Model: 1978 - 05 / Cummins ISM 450 / Allison HT740

Post by gpzzdrm »

Years ago, when I had a Stone Bennett shifter, I had the problem with reverse. I found the shift lever was not moving far enough to get into reverse. It was a simple adjustment. All I did was run the shifter through the gears and made sure each position was correct. Never had the problem again. I would bet the current cable shifter could have the same problem.
1978 05 Eagle with 450HP Cummins ISM / Allison HT740
Started in 1996 and still an in-progress hobby.