Announcement Block
As of 12/1/2021, a major update of the forum software was accomplished

Update: 3/7/2024: The Eagles email account at GoDaddy no longer works. I have set up a gmail account as a workaround: eaglesinternational.email at gmail.com

Registration is open to the public (*) and free from any cost or obligation. Please allow up to 36 hours for your application to be processed. If you have problems registering, please email me at: eaglesinternational.email at gmail.com
(*) spambots will be deleted -- only legitimate public applications will be processed.

Reminder: the "quick links" menu offers you the best navigation of this forum -- you need to be registered and logged in to see that menu.

Length of a bus?

This is a public forum to discuss Eagle related technical issues. If you are having a problem with your Eagle, this is the place to find help.
Kentucky Steve
Bus Model: 1969 05 number 7900

Length of a bus?

Post by Kentucky Steve »

How does the DOT measure a bus for determining the legal length. Is it measured from the frame or bumper to bumper or do they go by the furthest protruding object (like a mirror) to determine your length? Id like to add a bay and I am not sure how long I can make it and still stay under that "45" foot mark. Is there a website with all these limits listed on them??

Thanks

....Kentucky Steve .......
luvrbus
Club Member
Club Member
FMCA #: F262917
Bus Model: 05

Re: Length of a bus?

Post by luvrbus »

Steve, they measure bumper to bumper plus any overhang if you get a jerk
Clifford
Kentucky Steve

Post by Kentucky Steve »

Are forty five footers really forty five feet or are they 44 feet and some change, leaving room to play with the rules............really .....I have no ideal..but I would hate to have to get out the sawsall so they would let me on my way.....lol.......?

Thanks
Kentucky Steve

Clifford, about the lead, do you think covering the whole floor is worth its weight to sound proofing gain. I don't mind doing it if I can be sure I wouldn't be over weight when I get done. Are the prev's using 4 lb lead from front to back???
rusty
FMCA #: F341087
Bus Model: 1972 05 completed 2003
1994 15/45 in progress

Post by rusty »

Steve, I will measure my 15/45 this weekend and let you know. If you add one bay the same as you have now it will work out to be the correct lenght.

Good Luck Wayne
Kentucky Steve

Post by Kentucky Steve »

Wayne,

I don't think that would work since I stretched the engine compartment by a foot. I just want to make sure of the length and get all I can without wondering if I am to long to be legal.

Thanks
kentucky Steve
rusty
FMCA #: F341087
Bus Model: 1972 05 completed 2003
1994 15/45 in progress

Post by rusty »

Steve you are right I will measure and get back to you.

Wayne
Kentucky Steve

Post by Kentucky Steve »

Thanks Wayne,
Any clue as to where I could pick up a roof rib outta a parted out 05. I wander if the ribs are the same in the 10s?

Thanks
....Kentucky Steve.....
SmoothJazz

Post by SmoothJazz »

Steve,

The roof bows or carlines as we call them, are the same from a Model 05 to a Model 10.
Daniel Lenz
Brownsville, Texas

The work of an unknown good man is like a vein of water flowing hidden underground, secretly making the ground greener.
Kentucky Steve

Post by Kentucky Steve »

Thanks Dan,
You or anybody know where there's a 5 or 10 with the roof peeled back that I could get a rib outta, somewhat quickly. I don't want to make a big project out of this stretch thing. I would just like to buzz, weld, and get back to skinning it.

Thanks

Kentucky Steve
luvrbus
Club Member
Club Member
FMCA #: F262917
Bus Model: 05

Post by luvrbus »

Steve, my 05 is 39ft 10in bumper to bumper 40ft with the hitch.About the lead under the floors I have 1/8 in in my bedroom but not the whole bus and Prevost uses 1/16 in for the entire bus it does cut out the road nosie.I think 1/16 is about 1 lb per sf check www.rotometals.com for the weight on different thickness. FWIW if I was building a new bus it would be lead under the floor for the entire bus

Clifford