Announcement Block
As of 12/1/2021, a major update of the forum software was accomplished

Update: 3/7/2024: The Eagles email account at GoDaddy no longer works. I have set up a gmail account as a workaround: eaglesinternational.email at gmail.com

Registration is open to the public (*) and free from any cost or obligation. Please allow up to 36 hours for your application to be processed. If you have problems registering, please email me at: eaglesinternational.email at gmail.com
(*) spambots will be deleted -- only legitimate public applications will be processed.

Reminder: the "quick links" menu offers you the best navigation of this forum -- you need to be registered and logged in to see that menu.

Length of a bus?

This is a public forum to discuss Eagle related technical issues. If you are having a problem with your Eagle, this is the place to find help.
Kentucky Steve
Bus Model: 1969 05 number 7900

Re: Length of a bus?

Post by Kentucky Steve »

Clifford,

On the lead. 1/16th lead weighs 4 lbs per square foot, which is where I came up with that 1,200 lbs over on the Mak board. 1/8th inch lead is 8 lbs per square foot which would be 2,560 lbs per the entire bus. That seems like a lot of weight to haul around but, I have no knowledge of what is and is not heavy in these beast's. Were you maybe meaning 1/64th inch lead which would be 1 lb per square foot and only add up to about 320 lbs for the whole bus. This sounds better weight wise but I am not sure which way you meant. Also would it be best to have the lead up against the bottom of the floor joist with aluminum over it or between the steel floor joist and the plywood or between two plywood layers over the floor joist? Are you as lost as me yet??

Thanks

Kentucky Steve
Songman
Club Member
Club Member
FMCA #: F404262
Bus Model: 1993 Silver Eagle Model 15-45

Post by Songman »

Dang. Now something else I gotta save up for! Get this all figured out so I can start planning.
Dale Houston
1993 Eagle 15-45
Nashville, TN
SmoothJazz

Post by SmoothJazz »

Steve,

Call Franky Goodson at Goodson Bus Sales. His number is 828-428-4102. He parts out buses occasionally and may have a carline for you.
Daniel Lenz
Brownsville, Texas

The work of an unknown good man is like a vein of water flowing hidden underground, secretly making the ground greener.
Kentucky Steve

Post by Kentucky Steve »

Thanks Dan, I will call Goodson first thing Monday morning and see what he has.

Kentucky Steve
rusty
FMCA #: F341087
Bus Model: 1972 05 completed 2003
1994 15/45 in progress

Post by rusty »

Steve, I measured my 15 I took the measuerment in the middle of the bus at the bottom of the center window brace. It measured 44ft 11 inches. My caps are not on so if you add for them the lenght will be about 45ft. The bumpers do not stick out past that point. I was told they measure the width and length at the main structure and not to things that can be taken off. If you measure mirrors and side lights you will be over 102 wide and 45ft long. If you are uncomfortable you can make your frame 44ft 10 inches and be below 45ft. I am sure if you get a law officer that just got kicked out of his house it will be hard to be right about anything :lol:

Good luck Wayne
89eagle15
FMCA #: F396415
Bus Model: 1989 Eagle 15

Post by 89eagle15 »

Steve,
I've used mass loaded vinyl for sound attenuation. I purchase it at a local insulation company, Pacific Insulation. It lies down real easy and has better deadening qualities than lead. It is just under 1/8” thick and comes in a 4’ roll. It also weighs less. Standard mastics work on it as well but I’d see what the folks recommend where you purchase it. You might want to look at it as an alternative.

Larry
Kentucky Steve

Post by Kentucky Steve »

Thanks Wayne,

I think I will go with the 44ft 10 inch mark to be safe. Again thank you for the time to measure for me.

.......Kentucky Steve........

Just a little bummed out over our Cardinals losing today :( :(
Kentucky Steve

Post by Kentucky Steve »

Larry,
What is "mass loaded vinyl"? I never heard of it. I will gladly look at any and all alternatives as long as they are close to the lead. I didn't know there was something better than lead? Of course better could be better in different ways I guess. The lead would be over 3 grand for the whole bus so that leaves lots of room for research.... :D .... Then there is the weight factor which is probably the scariest to me as the lead will add a lot of weight in which I will have no way to reverse the decision to use it once it is done. Clifford I hope you chime back in here on this.

Thanks

Kentucky Steve
luvrbus
Club Member
Club Member
FMCA #: F262917
Bus Model: 05

Post by luvrbus »

Steve, I only been around the MLV a few times and that was in homes I don't know if it would hold up under vibaration or not.I know if it ever breaks you loose all the sound deading and I wonder about cutting holes if that would affect the sound or not.It is also heavy 2 lbs per sf I think for the 1/4 inch and I don't think it will deaded the sound as good as lead, the link Cody gave on the MAK board states the product is almost as good as lead.If I was doing it I would use the 1/64 lead sandwiched between 2 layers of plywood.I'll see if I can find some photos for you taken at Vogue when they were converting a MCI bus. You would think if a product is as good and cheaper the convertors would use it.If you use lead in a home for sound deading when selling it you must disclose that lead has been used that is the reasoning for the MLV

Clifford
Kentucky Steve

Post by Kentucky Steve »

Thanks Clifford,
I think what I will do is to use the 1/8 inch lead over the floor over the engine and also over the back steel wall and then start working my way forward with the thinner layers of lead till I get down to the 1/64 inch lead. I will be pour foaming all of the areas between the floor joist also so I think I will be covered that way.

Thanks also to Larry,
Larry I am not brave enough to use the MLV on the floor as of now. I do think though that that would make a great liner for the walls so I am coinsidering it for use around the walls. I just need to research the comparison to dual pane windows.

Thanks again everybody for helping me here.

.........Kentucky Steve.............

Now I just need some more spring....had snow flurries yesterday.......where's SPRING!!!!!