Announcement Block
As of 12/1/2021, a major update of the forum software was accomplished

Update: 3/7/2024: The Eagles email account at GoDaddy no longer works. I have set up a gmail account as a workaround: eaglesinternational.email at gmail.com

Registration is open to the public (*) and free from any cost or obligation. Please allow up to 36 hours for your application to be processed. If you have problems registering, please email me at: eaglesinternational.email at gmail.com
(*) spambots will be deleted -- only legitimate public applications will be processed.

Reminder: the "quick links" menu offers you the best navigation of this forum -- you need to be registered and logged in to see that menu.

Fuel tank problem for ericbsc

This is a public forum to discuss Eagle related technical issues. If you are having a problem with your Eagle, this is the place to find help.
akroyaleagle
Club Member
Club Member
FMCA #: F180747
Bus Model: 1978 Model 05

Fuel tank problem for ericbsc

Post by akroyaleagle »

Eric,
If I understand your post correctly you seem to only get 85 gallons out of your tank.

Pull the stand tube out (Its next to the gauge) You will probably find that it has rubbed on a baffle and has a hole in it that starts sucking air after 85 gallons. Mine would suck 90 gallons. Solder up the hole an Voila! another problem cured. Took me running out of fuel 3 times to discover this.

Also spend the money and replace the gauge while you have access. It is a long tube with two piano wires that a wafer floats on. It seems kinda flakey to me but mine was about 20 years old when I replaced it and still worked but got snagged on the wires sometimes and wouldn't show full or go below a half tank.

Trust me if you have access do this stuff now. Don't wait until you have to tear out a bunch of built in cabinets or a shower for access. Better, put some floor in the cabinet that is easily removed to allow future access.

By the way, mine has 22 gallons of unusable fuel. The stand tube doesn't go all the way to the bottom of the tank. You'd think a guy that flew commercially all his life would think about that wouldn't you. I know that from experience also.
Joe Laird
'78 05
Sioux Falls, SD
ericbsc
FMCA #: 12345678
Bus Model: 1973 Eagle 05

Re: Fuel tank problem for ericbsc

Post by ericbsc »

I have replaced the gage and sending unit. Both seem to work correctly now. I kept having to prime to get it started then realized when I went to replace the sending unit that it was almost bone dry!!! I assume from that that the tube is good and pulling to the botom. I checked it when I pulled out the tanks and it is fine. Before I drained the tanke the gage read 3/4 full I looked in the sending hole and fuedl was up to about the bottom of where the filler neck bolts on. I drained it into a plastic tote with a 250 gal cap. It has marks on the side indicating the amount. Looks loki I drained about 80-85 gal. If that was 3/4 I assumed another 30-35 gal to full. I nmay be wrong?
Eric Brown
Spartanburg, SC
1973 05
Series 60 allison 4000MHP
akroyaleagle
Club Member
Club Member
FMCA #: F180747
Bus Model: 1978 Model 05

Post by akroyaleagle »

Eric,

The tanks should hold 147 gal.
Mine only showed 3/4 full when it was full also before I repaired it.
I doubt that your stand pipe removes all the fuel. It should like a couple inches reaching the bottom.
Joe Laird
'78 05
Sioux Falls, SD
van
Club Member
Club Member

Post by van »

Eric,mount an electric primer fuel pump after the primary ,also I would make sure that there is no debris in the supply line.I had a collapsed supply line and had to prime all the time also,installed new supply line and a primer pump ,no problems since .Helps when changing filters,hit the primer switch for one minute and your done.good luck.