Announcement Block
As of 12/1/2021, a major update of the forum software was accomplished

Update: 3/7/2024: The Eagles email account at GoDaddy no longer works. I have set up a gmail account as a workaround: eaglesinternational.email at gmail.com

Registration is open to the public (*) and free from any cost or obligation. Please allow up to 36 hours for your application to be processed. If you have problems registering, please email me at: eaglesinternational.email at gmail.com
(*) spambots will be deleted -- only legitimate public applications will be processed.

Reminder: the "quick links" menu offers you the best navigation of this forum -- you need to be registered and logged in to see that menu.

Air Bag Retrofit 1990 Eagle 15 (Drive Axle)

This is a public forum to discuss Eagle related technical issues. If you are having a problem with your Eagle, this is the place to find help.
beltguy
Site Admin
Site Admin
FMCA #: F246286
Bus Model: 1985 Eagle 10 with Series 60 and Eaton AutoShift 10 speed transmission (SOLD)

Re: Air Bag Retrofit 1990 Eagle 15

Post by beltguy »

I think part of the difference of opinion is whether the air bags supplement the Torsilastics or are used for all of the suspension load. I am not sure which is best, but I would lean towards supplement if the Torsilastics are in decent shape.

Now for the real challenge: want to tackle a design for the bogey axle? :o :shock: That is the one that makes the most sense to me, but the space makes it very difficult. If a person could come up with a design for that axle, I think there is a decent market.

Jim
Jim Shepherd
Evergreen, CO
'85 Eagle 10 with Series 60 & Eaton AutoShift 10 speed transmission SOLD
2005 Dodge 2500 with 5.9 Cummins and 6 speed manual 2022 Sunset 28 foot trailer
Bus Project pages: http://beltguy.com/Bus_Project/busproject.htm
Blog: https://beltguy.com/Travelogue/
Email: eaglesinternational.email at gmail.com   NOTE this email box is only for general correspondence related to the forum and not technical advice.  Technical questions will not receive a response.
JeffreyBryanMeek
Bus Model: '90 Model 15
8V92TA
Smooth Sided

Post by JeffreyBryanMeek »

Jim, I agree, the opinions do differ. Most of the information I have seen supports the theory of a supplemental bag. For my bus it will be almost all of the suspension. As far as the bogeys are concerned It's not a huge deal either. Just a matter of doing the engineering. A cantilever would make more sense than anything else though. I will post the finished cad drawing in a few minutes. The CNC is cutting parts as I type this and should be done in about 45 minutes. Thank you for your input.
JeffreyBryanMeek
8V92TA
Smooth Sided

Final Drawing. These have now been cut.
Final Drawing. These have now been cut.
JeffreyBryanMeek
8V92TA
Smooth Sided

The completed structure to be attached to the bus side. The axle side should be done before the end of today.
The completed structure to be attached to the bus side. The axle side should be done before the end of today.
JeffreyBryanMeek
8V92TA
Smooth Sided

I was asked about bogey air bags. I will be starting the CAD drawings on them tomorrow morning. I'll probably start a new thread for them.
beltguy
Site Admin
Site Admin
FMCA #: F246286
Bus Model: 1985 Eagle 10 with Series 60 and Eaton AutoShift 10 speed transmission (SOLD)

Re: Air Bag Retrofit 1990 Eagle 15 (Drive Axle)

Post by beltguy »

Jeffrey, looking great!!!! I assume the slots are for welding the plates to existing tubing.

I will change the title of this thread to indicated it is for the drive axle and then you can start a new one for the bogey.

Jim
Jim Shepherd
Evergreen, CO
'85 Eagle 10 with Series 60 & Eaton AutoShift 10 speed transmission SOLD
2005 Dodge 2500 with 5.9 Cummins and 6 speed manual 2022 Sunset 28 foot trailer
Bus Project pages: http://beltguy.com/Bus_Project/busproject.htm
Blog: https://beltguy.com/Travelogue/
Email: eaglesinternational.email at gmail.com   NOTE this email box is only for general correspondence related to the forum and not technical advice.  Technical questions will not receive a response.
JeffreyBryanMeek
8V92TA
Smooth Sided

Jim you are exactly correct. We'll "plug" weld the slots. I also did and tab and slot connection on all the pieces. Insert tab A into tab B, etc. That will may construction much easier for potential other DIYers out there wanting to do an air bag on there own rig. I will offer this kit as a "parts" package to be welded at the end user level.
JeffreyBryanMeek
8V92TA
Smooth Sided

Mock up before paint. BTW it is upside down'
Mock up before paint. BTW it is upside down'
eagle1
Club Member
Club Member
FMCA #: f208485
Bus Model: 1984 eagle model 10 #408217

Post by eagle1 »

how much for a model 10 kit? thanks mark
JeffreyBryanMeek
8V92TA
Smooth Sided

Mark, thank you for the interest. I don't have an exact $$ yet. Although it will be much cheaper that any other kit. And we try our best to keep the quality of our project top notch.