Announcement Block
As of 12/1/2021, a major update of the forum software was accomplished

Update: 3/7/2024: The Eagles email account at GoDaddy no longer works. I have set up a gmail account as a workaround: eaglesinternational.email at gmail.com

Registration is open to the public (*) and free from any cost or obligation. Please allow up to 36 hours for your application to be processed. If you have problems registering, please email me at: eaglesinternational.email at gmail.com
(*) spambots will be deleted -- only legitimate public applications will be processed.

Reminder: the "quick links" menu offers you the best navigation of this forum -- you need to be registered and logged in to see that menu.

Rust Bullet, or POR 15

This is a public forum to discuss Eagle related technical issues. If you are having a problem with your Eagle, this is the place to find help.
ericbsc
FMCA #: 12345678
Bus Model: 1973 Eagle 05

Rust Bullet, or POR 15

Post by ericbsc »

Need to paint the old ac area between the bogies. I have used por 15 on the rest of the frame but ran out. Has anyone used both for comparison?
Eric Brown
Spartanburg, SC
1973 05
Series 60 allison 4000MHP
Gary LaBombard
Club Member
Club Member
FMCA #: F185090
Bus Model: 1973 Model 05 Eagle

Re: Rust Bullet, or POR 15

Post by Gary LaBombard »

Eric,

Everyone knows my opinion of Rustbullet so I won't bore you with more of it again, I have never used the Por-15 but do know once the Rustbullet is cured and the older it gets the harder it gets you can't hardly scratch it with a nail. You have to grind it off to get it off, but let others tell you of their results especially if they have used both and decide for yourself from others experience.

Hope to see you at Palmetto Cove in April with the Ole Eagle.
Gary
Owner of the "Rustless Money Pit" 1973 Model 05 Eagle.
http://busconverter101.com for instructional video
Eaglesinternational bb'd best site for Eagle owners to receive information.
Gary LaBombard
Club Member
Club Member

Post by Gary LaBombard »

Eric,
I probably should include a few things of importance to consider on Rustbullet;

1) Fumes very toxic to breath without using Respirator at all times when painting. Recommend wearing a cheap ole paint suit and safety glases also when enclosed painting especially.

2) Preparation of surface to be painted needs only scrapping off loose rusty or old painted surface. Old paint must be bonded in good condition for rustbullet to be painted over it. I normally remove all old paint to be sure, if it is bare rusty metal I only wire brush / scrape off the loose material. This stuff really bonds to rust?? Funny stuff.

3) Always cover bare body parts, arms etc, when painting, this stuff is hard to get off and putting zylene on body parts to remove rustbullet not recommended. I found a product called (Daysaver) works real good, we bought them from Public Grocery store and it removes this paint off hands and face safely. Only a recommendation, do not use straight paint thinner of any kind on your body.

(4) You can spray paint or paint with brush this paint, painting with sprayer is best as the finish looks like a powercoat finish I know you will be happy with. Very tough surface material when dried and it gets harder and harder as it cures.

5) Plan to paint 3 coats, need to have about (.006) coverage in paint thickness when painting is done for a life time of rustfree surface.

6) Besure to put temporary bolts in threaded holdes to be painted or this stuff will fill them up and putting a bolt through after the paint dries will be impossible, you will have to retap, this also is just a tip.

7) Remove all oil from surface to be painted using (Dawn Dish Soap) and wiped off with rag or paper work towel. I recommend doing this twice to new tubing in particular to remove maching surface left to help prevent rusting. Be sure painted surface is dry of all water, clean one day, paint the next to be sure. Biggest enemy to rustbullet when being applied is any kind of moisture or water.

8) Clean your paint gun immediately after you are done using. Or it will be a bummer when dry, impossible infact.

Be sure to get more information from others on this product to make the right decision considering you have used the por-15 before.

Good Luck Eric

Gary
Kentucky Steve
Bus Model: 1969 05 number 7900

Post by Kentucky Steve »

Eric,

I say Rust Bullet for sure. Once you try it you will never use anything but it again. Get you a quart, and just to repeat what has been said here do not let the over spray get on anything of value. You can put it on everything but the kids and it will be there forever. I have left things laying around the bus like welding hoods, safety glasses, and the like and If you don't get the Zyleen out quick enough forget it. Believe us you will love it. HTH

....Kentucky Steve ...........
van
Club Member
Club Member

Post by van »

Hey guys ,I love this stuff already and haven't even used it yet,does it come in colors or only in the one shade?
ericbsc
FMCA #: 12345678
Bus Model: 1973 Eagle 05

Post by ericbsc »

They told me you can get any color as long as it is silver. Just kiddn, comes silver only. What I did with the por 15 was top coat with auto enamel at about 8-16 hrs. talked to the tech guy at RB abd he said the same. If you wait for a full cure all the pores will close and you will have to scuff it to bond. I ordered enough to do the area where the factory air was. Very poor design by the way!!! Steel tubing with alum. inside and out with insulation between. Condensation between the two caused a little cancer. Got it all cut out after removing tanks. Brings up another question. I had filled tanks to 3/4 by gage. I replaced sending unit and by stick level looked right. Book says 147 gal. I removed no more than 85 (guessing( which makes ne think that 115-125 would be the max? Anybody checked that?

P.S Van, I want to know more about that 135hp glide. I was thinking about taking mine to 110 from 96, but have been told the 110's have issues at this point. What can you get out of a 103?
Eric Brown
Spartanburg, SC
1973 05
Series 60 allison 4000MHP
van
Club Member
Club Member

Post by van »

Hi Eric,that engine is no longer in the bike any more,we took it out because it was deadly on wet pavement straight or curved.I will tell you this,it was a 131 cube motor built by R&R cycle for Hyperformance inc at a cost of nearly $10,000 back in 04,had them build it in my cases.they still have plenty of engines available or head and cam combos,the bore was4.25"and the stroke was4.625"compression @11:1.also if you are interested in big poney's here's a link you'd like
http://www.kingofcubes.com/
Last edited by van on Tue Mar 24, 2009 8:23 am, edited 1 time in total.
Gary LaBombard
Club Member
Club Member

Post by Gary LaBombard »

Eric or anyone else thinking of using Rustbullet,

I forgot one thing. When orderning the paint, there is two choices of paint to order, the (Industrial Gold Color Can) which is real, real thick or the one you want to really use and spray is the (Automotive - or Silver Can), besure to specify what grade of paint you want.

Also again, be sure to coat 3 coats to have about (.006) in thickness. Cheating with one or two coats will not keep the nice shiny gray / silver color and also a chance of rust still appearing down the road is possible if you cheat.

Enough of that.

Gary