Announcement Block
As of 12/1/2021, a major update of the forum software was accomplished

Update: 3/7/2024: The Eagles email account at GoDaddy no longer works. I have set up a gmail account as a workaround: eaglesinternational.email at gmail.com

Registration is open to the public (*) and free from any cost or obligation. Please allow up to 36 hours for your application to be processed. If you have problems registering, please email me at: eaglesinternational.email at gmail.com
(*) spambots will be deleted -- only legitimate public applications will be processed.

Reminder: the "quick links" menu offers you the best navigation of this forum -- you need to be registered and logged in to see that menu.

Power steering lines

This is a public forum to discuss Eagle related technical issues. If you are having a problem with your Eagle, this is the place to find help.
Sparky
Club Member
Club Member
FMCA #: 406128
Bus Model: 1988 Eagle 20

Power steering lines

Post by Sparky »

Hello all,
We are new to this group and are very excited to finally get involved. I have read most all of the posts on the site and am amazed at the wealth of information that everyone has to share. So I have one issue that I could use some help with. We have a 1988 model 20 and lastweekend the power steering went out. I traced the problem to a blown hydraulic hose that runs from the pump on the top of the motor to the front of the bus. Does anyone know if there are any couplings in this line that would allow me to replace just a section of this line or do I have to replace all 40' of it. I have already removed both of the rear acces panels in the floor and do not see anything there. But I am looking for any sugestions. Thanks in advance.

Sparky
The Church's
1988 Model 20
6V92 with 5 speed manual
Dreamscape
FMCA #: F391238
Bus Model: 1968 Silver Eagle Model 01

Re: Power steering lines

Post by Dreamscape »

I don't have a 20 but one question, is it the high or low pressure. I doubt it would be spliced. If it were me I'd replace the total length, especially if it's old and be done with it for a long time. Go to a good Parker shop and they'll fix you right up, take in the old so they can match it up for size and length.

~Paul~
Paul Lawry
Dreamscape
1968 Eagle 01 #7443
Silver 8V92 HT 740

Dreamscape Build Blog: https://dreamscapesilvereagle.wordpress.com/
luvrbus
Club Member
Club Member
FMCA #: F262917
Bus Model: 05

Post by luvrbus »

Sparky, if it a regular model 20 both the return an the supply hoses are 1 piece on the New Jersey model 20 it's anyone guess

good luck
clifford
Boomer
Club Member
Club Member
FMCA #: F352905
Bus Model: 1981 Eagle M10. Stretched, widened, raised to M15/45 specs. Cummins ISM 450, Allison World transmission. Mid entry door.

Post by Boomer »

Normally the power steering hoses connect to copper pipes at the bulkhead that run forward from there. But '20's were a different breed of cat. Somebody familiar with 20's will probably chime in here.
Sparky
Club Member
Club Member

Post by Sparky »

Thanks everyone. It looks like I will just replace the entire run. Maybe both the send and return. Paul you mention a local Parker shop. I am not familiar with that. We have a truck repair shop in town. I am assuming that they should be able to help me with this?
The Church's
1988 Model 20
6V92 with 5 speed manual
Dreamscape
FMCA #: F391238
Bus Model: 1968 Silver Eagle Model 01

Post by Dreamscape »

Parker is a name of hydraulic hose and fittings, they usually have a store in the area. Your shop should know where to take the hose and get the correct length and type of fittings. They might even have a hose machine and the fitting crimpers. I say Parker because I have used that brand in the block industry for many years and have had great luck with the quality of hose, and we use a 3,000 psi type as big as 2".

Good Luck,

~Paul~
Paul Lawry
Dreamscape
1968 Eagle 01 #7443
Silver 8V92 HT 740

Dreamscape Build Blog: https://dreamscapesilvereagle.wordpress.com/
Eagle
Club Member
Club Member
FMCA #: F182862
Bus Model: 1985 Eagle model 10

Post by Eagle »

Give Orva Norris a call at Jefferson Bus and Truck 800-813-9367. He is the Eagle Guru.
Songman
Club Member
Club Member
FMCA #: F404262
Bus Model: 1993 Silver Eagle Model 15-45

Post by Songman »

luvrbus wrote:Sparky, if it a regular model 20 both the return an the supply hoses are 1 piece on the New Jersey model 20 it's anyone guess

good luck
clifford
Hey now! Don't be digging on our New Jerseys! haha

I agree that I would change it all. If one part of an old hose fails you have to figure that the rest of it is in about the same shape.

When I lived in Nashville we had a local NAPA store that had a full service hose shop and could make any hose you needed. I don't think that is a normal NAPA service though. Maybe just that one shop.
Dale Houston
1993 Eagle 15-45
Nashville, TN
Sparky
Club Member
Club Member

Post by Sparky »

Now that you mention it I think our Napa store in town does make hydraulic lines. One thing I noticed when I opened up the back access compartments is that the lines are all tie wrapped together. I hope they are not that way all the way down that tray in the bus.
The Church's
1988 Model 20
6V92 with 5 speed manual
Sparky
Club Member
Club Member

Post by Sparky »

Well, I was able to remove the damaged power steering line on Sunday after about 6 hrs of work. That was alot more difficult than I originally thought. I have never seen that many tie wraps on anything. :shock: I have one question though. At each of the locations that this line ran into or out of the tray that is under the floor it was sealed with some type of silicone or something. It was very strong but still flexible. Does anyone know what this substance is. I will need to reseal around the new hose when I get it installed. Thanks
The Church's
1988 Model 20
6V92 with 5 speed manual