Announcement Block
As of 12/1/2021, a major update of the forum software was accomplished

Update: 3/7/2024: The Eagles email account at GoDaddy no longer works. I have set up a gmail account as a workaround: eaglesinternational.email at gmail.com

Registration is open to the public (*) and free from any cost or obligation. Please allow up to 36 hours for your application to be processed. If you have problems registering, please email me at: eaglesinternational.email at gmail.com
(*) spambots will be deleted -- only legitimate public applications will be processed.

Reminder: the "quick links" menu offers you the best navigation of this forum -- you need to be registered and logged in to see that menu.

eagle will not start

This is a public forum to discuss Eagle related technical issues. If you are having a problem with your Eagle, this is the place to find help.
eaglebus8920
Club Member
Club Member
FMCA #: F294729
Bus Model: 1989 Eagle Model 20
40 ft
6v92 DDEC II Allision HT 748R
6" Roof Raise, 2 slides outs , center door entry.

Re: eagle will not start

Post by eaglebus8920 »

Thanks

no active codes only history code was low coolant and that is when i lost coolant from bad radiator
beltguy
Site Admin
Site Admin
FMCA #: F246286
Bus Model: 1985 Eagle 10 with Series 60 and Eaton AutoShift 10 speed transmission (SOLD)

Post by beltguy »

I think that I have read that there is a fuse to the injectors to each head on some engines. It is probably unlikely that, if you have these fuses that both would go bad.

You say that you sprayed some ether. Did it sound any different when you tried to start the engine? Did you spray while the engine was rotating (safest)?

If there was no difference with the ether, that might suggest you are not getting air. Any chance that an animal/bird built a nest in the intake system? Long shot, but who knows?
Jim Shepherd
Evergreen, CO
'85 Eagle 10 with Series 60 & Eaton AutoShift 10 speed transmission SOLD
2005 Dodge 2500 with 5.9 Cummins and 6 speed manual 2022 Sunset 28 foot trailer
Bus Project pages: http://beltguy.com/Bus_Project/busproject.htm
Blog: https://beltguy.com/Travelogue/
Email: eaglesinternational.email at gmail.com   NOTE this email box is only for general correspondence related to the forum and not technical advice.  Technical questions will not receive a response.
luvrbus
Club Member
Club Member
FMCA #: F262917
Bus Model: 05

Post by luvrbus »

Those are SID codes System Identification numbers means nothing for trouble shooting the 203 if you look on your cartridge you see the 203 I know you have checked the coolant level in the surge tank, behind the big pulley on the cam is the crank position sensor be sure a critter hasn't made a nest there
eaglebus8920
Club Member
Club Member
40 ft

Post by eaglebus8920 »

Is it possible that I may have one battery that is bad and I am not turning the engine over fast enough to make it fire.. Right now I am at a loss on what could be wrong
beltguy
Site Admin
Site Admin
Bus Model: 1985 Eagle 10 with Series 60 and Eaton AutoShift 10 speed transmission (SOLD)

Post by beltguy »

Probably time to step back and take a deep breath.

We have not clarified which DDEC version you have. My guess is DDECII based on your model year. Knowing your version will help us a bit. Update: I just checked your profile and it is a DDECII Also, it says you are from the St. Louis area.

Here is what I would do:

1) Install the FuelPro that you have. This will allow you to easily prime the engine and check the quality of the fuel. It is a pretty easy job and well worth it.

2) Use a digital voltmeter to check the battery voltage while the engine is being cranked. DDEC ECMs need at least 12.0 volts to operate correctly. You can also check resting battery voltage for each battery when you disconnect the cables.

3) It would probably be worth it to buy a hydrometer to check each cell of your start batteries. That will sort out a bad battery fairly quickly.

4) Check to see if you have fuses for each bank of injectors. It appears that many DDECII engines had these fuses. If you find them, check them with an ohm meter.

5) Disconnect and clean all connections to the ECM. A bad/marginal connection will really mess you up.

6) Check to make sure you don't have a blockage in the air intake. The easiest way is to disconnect the flexible connection to the turbo and try to start the engine.

Keep us posted and maybe we will think of something else.

Jim
Jim Shepherd
Evergreen, CO
Email: eaglesinternational.email at gmail.com   NOTE this email box is only for general correspondence related to the forum and not technical advice.  Technical questions will not receive a response.
beltguy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by beltguy »

I did some searching and found a troubleshooting guide online. Here is the link to the page that talks about "engine cranks but will not start": http://constructiontractors.tpub.com/TM ... 280546.htm.

Pretty technical, but it might give you some thoughts or let you work with someone who would feel comfortable preforming the checks.

BTW, you have not mentioned if the "check engine" and "stop engine" lights come on when you turn on the "ignition" power. They should be lit for a few seconds and then go out. If they don't light that may be a clue. If the do light I suspect they will go out since you don't have an active code.

Just some more stuff to confuse you more ;)

Jim
Jim Shepherd
Evergreen, CO
luvrbus
Club Member
Club Member

Post by luvrbus »

I don't think you have a good prime screw a gauge in the top of the primary it should read 5 to 10 lbs if the pump is working and go to about 25 lbs when trying to start.One thing I would do the first thing is remove the air horn and hit the starter and make sure the blower is turning that blower shaft did break

The Fuel/Pro is a good system but I could never see the advantage for one on a 2 stroke myself I will be happy to send you my DDEC ll trouble shooting manual 600 pages of reading :D lots of bs in one
beltguy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by beltguy »

Between Clifford and I, we will keep you busy. :D

I think both of us are leaning heavily to a no-fuel situation. That should be your priority.

Your clue will be whether the engine makes any attempt to start (as opposed to just turning over). Even if you have a clogged intake (not too likely) or low ECM voltage, the engine should at least sound like it is trying.

On my DDEC III/IV I tried to start it one time with the batteries pretty low. It did start but really ran bad. I suspect that would be the case with DDEC II

Jim
Jim Shepherd
Evergreen, CO
luvrbus
Club Member
Club Member

Post by luvrbus »

Try the override and see if it fires
eaglebus8920
Club Member
Club Member
40 ft

Post by eaglebus8920 »

3 new batteries installed. Now getting some white smoke from the exhaust,, Have cleaned connectors to the ecm. Engine will not start..