Announcement Block
As of 12/1/2021, a major update of the forum software was accomplished

Update: 3/7/2024: The Eagles email account at GoDaddy no longer works. I have set up a gmail account as a workaround: eaglesinternational.email at gmail.com

Registration is open to the public (*) and free from any cost or obligation. Please allow up to 36 hours for your application to be processed. If you have problems registering, please email me at: eaglesinternational.email at gmail.com
(*) spambots will be deleted -- only legitimate public applications will be processed.

Reminder: the "quick links" menu offers you the best navigation of this forum -- you need to be registered and logged in to see that menu.

Copper air lines

This is a public forum to discuss Eagle related technical issues. If you are having a problem with your Eagle, this is the place to find help.
Kentucky Steve
Bus Model: 1969 05 number 7900

Copper air lines

Post by Kentucky Steve »

Hey guys,

Does anyone know if the copper we use in our homes would be DOT approved for use as air lines in our buses. Also what about the flex copper for home use. I am sure I do not want to use the plastic at all. And what about the brass fittings are they special too?

Thanks
Kentucky Steve
rusty
FMCA #: F341087
Bus Model: 1972 05 completed 2003
1994 15/45 in progress

Re: Copper air lines

Post by rusty »

Steve, If I were a betting man I would bet they are not aproved by DOT, but I am not sure. The nylon lines that are approved by DOT are probably cheaper than copper and are probably better. The nylon will hold up to vibration better than copper, but we will not use are buses enough to wear out copper if that is what you want to use. I used nylon on my 05 and have not had any trouble with it.

Good Luck Wayne

P.S. yes the fittings are special they are DOT approved.
Dreamscape
FMCA #: F391238
Bus Model: 1968 Silver Eagle Model 01

Post by Dreamscape »

I used DOT nylon tubing when I installed my AD-9 Air Drier. I liked the way it worked out, easy to use. Also used DOT air fittings. The nylon is much more forgiving and should outlast my lifetime.

~Paul~
Paul Lawry
Dreamscape
1968 Eagle 01 #7443
Silver 8V92 HT 740

Dreamscape Build Blog: https://dreamscapesilvereagle.wordpress.com/
Kentucky Steve

Post by Kentucky Steve »

Wayne,
My concern would be with sagging over time and causing a water trap and giving a hard place to find an ice block. Yes I know if I maintain our coach right I should not see that problem but, what if. How stiff are the nylon lines? What are the pro's to the nylon other than ease of installation and the vibration resistance? How proven are they? How many years have they really been in service? I don't want to get caught up in taking a "cheap and easy" way out only to have it bite me in the butt years down the road. Of all the systems on our bus it seems as though the copper air lines system is what survived the 40 years of its life intact and still doing its job. I am all ears for better but I want to make sure I am doing it for the right reasons.

Thanks

Kentucky Steve
Kentucky Steve

Post by Kentucky Steve »

Paul,

Does Dreamscape have the copper lines in the rest of her.

Congrates on the new life style, too. :D I wish Deb and I were in the space next to you guys in our soon to be new life style too.

Have fun out there and we will see ya on the road soon.

Thanks

Kentucky Steve
luvrbus
Club Member
Club Member
FMCA #: F262917
Bus Model: 05

Post by luvrbus »

Steve, I have very little nylon tubing on the out side of my bus but I do have it on the inside like for the parking brake the nylon tubing has been it use for over 20 years now, the first time I ever it saw on a piece of equipment I thought to myself this is never going to work but it did.I dont use nylon tubing anywhere close to wiring because on my HWH jacks they used it for hyd hoses and a wire shorted out and melted the tubing causing a hell of mess.If you are going to use copper tubing buy the automotive type and use no compression fitting(problems later on) it has more flex than home type but will cost you. good luck

Clifford
Dreamscape
FMCA #: F391238
Bus Model: 1968 Silver Eagle Model 01

Post by Dreamscape »

Steve, Yes the original copper is everywhere else, like the main lines from rear to front. I do agree, it's been on our coach since it's inception. If I was starting from scratch I'd use the nylon and clamp it down where I could. It will outlast both you and me. Ask Dan what is used on the new 25's, that might help you with your decision.

So far I've only slept in it for three nights since we started. Been up in Vancouver WA since and until April 4th. Becky is the only one enjoying it along with our two kids, Terra and Yoshi. ;)

~Paul~
Paul Lawry
Dreamscape
1968 Eagle 01 #7443
Silver 8V92 HT 740

Dreamscape Build Blog: https://dreamscapesilvereagle.wordpress.com/