Announcement Block
As of 12/1/2021, a major update of the forum software was accomplished

Update: 3/7/2024: The Eagles email account at GoDaddy no longer works. I have set up a gmail account as a workaround: eaglesinternational.email at gmail.com

Registration is open to the public (*) and free from any cost or obligation. Please allow up to 36 hours for your application to be processed. If you have problems registering, please email me at: eaglesinternational.email at gmail.com
(*) spambots will be deleted -- only legitimate public applications will be processed.

Reminder: the "quick links" menu offers you the best navigation of this forum -- you need to be registered and logged in to see that menu.

Shepherd Eagle Project Page

This is a public forum to discuss Eagle related technical issues. If you are having a problem with your Eagle, this is the place to find help.
beltguy
Site Admin
Site Admin
FMCA #: F246286
Bus Model: 1985 Eagle 10 with Series 60 and Eaton AutoShift 10 speed transmission (SOLD)

Shepherd Eagle Project Page

Post by beltguy »

I have documented my Eagle conversion project at:

http://www.rvsafetysystems.com/busproject.htm.

These pages include a lot of discussion of my structural changes and my conversion to a Series 60/Eaton AutoShift 10 speed transmission. Maybe it will help folks who are starting their "adventure".

My coach is not very fancy, but it is very functional and works great for our needs Someday I will do some finish work.

Jim Shepherd
Jim Shepherd
Evergreen, CO
'85 Eagle 10 with Series 60 & Eaton AutoShift 10 speed transmission SOLD
2005 Dodge 2500 with 5.9 Cummins and 6 speed manual 2022 Sunset 28 foot trailer
Bus Project pages: http://beltguy.com/Bus_Project/busproject.htm
Blog: https://beltguy.com/Travelogue/
Email: eaglesinternational.email at gmail.com   NOTE this email box is only for general correspondence related to the forum and not technical advice.  Technical questions will not receive a response.
eaglebus8920
Club Member
Club Member
FMCA #: F294729
Bus Model: 1989 Eagle Model 20
40 ft
6v92 DDEC II Allision HT 748R
6" Roof Raise, 2 slides outs , center door entry.

Re: Shepherd Eagle Project Page

Post by eaglebus8920 »

Jim

My god the work you have put into your Ealge is amazing. I am just now starting to remove the fan system from my 89 Eagle Model 20. I am wanting to go to a right angle drive and either a pulley system or a drive shaft. I would love to talk to you about how I could convert my cooling system over. If you would like to give me some feedback I can be reached at eaglebus8920@yahoo.com.

Good job keep the faith

Duane
St. Louis, MO
Songman
Club Member
Club Member
FMCA #: F404262
Bus Model: 1993 Silver Eagle Model 15-45

Post by Songman »

Duane,
If your 20 is an NJT like mine it should have a hydraulic fan system on it. You don't want to get rid of that if it is. That is what people want to go to instead of away from. They hydraulic system takes a lot less HP away from the engine than the shaft and pulley stuff.

Norris, who used to work at Eagle back when they were still building these things, told me that I should get rid of the NJT spec radiator and go to a regular Eagle radiator though.

This is all assuming you have an NJT.

Dale
Dale Houston
1993 Eagle 15-45
Nashville, TN
beltguy
Site Admin
Site Admin
FMCA #: F246286
Bus Model: 1985 Eagle 10 with Series 60 and Eaton AutoShift 10 speed transmission (SOLD)

Post by beltguy »

Hi Duane. Thanks for the kind words. I sent you a PM, but thought I should post a reply so that my reply can be viewed by others.

As Dale pointed out, most folks keep the hydraulic fan system. I don't have any experience with hydraulic fans, but they have been used a lot in many brands of buses.

I am not sure I agree with Dale on the efficiency of hydraulic fans. Hydraulic systems, in general, are not terribly efficient (that is why they have to have cooling systems). However, the loses are not huge and, in the scheme of things is a very small percentage of what your engine is called on to do.

Belts and gears also have efficiency loses. Two sets of belts and one gear box will probably be about the same loss as the hydraulic system.

I believe some hydraulic systems have the ability to change the fan speed or shut it off when max cooling is not required. That would be a benefit. However, I can shut off my fan (air clutch) and find that I have to leave it on for all but the coldest outside temperatures (and low loads). We just don't get ram cooling.

Changing from Hydraulic to belts would be very costly and a ton of work. I don't think it would be worth it.

If this reply does not answer your questions, give me a ring:

three zero three 478 3501

Jim
Jim Shepherd
Evergreen, CO
'85 Eagle 10 with Series 60 & Eaton AutoShift 10 speed transmission SOLD
2005 Dodge 2500 with 5.9 Cummins and 6 speed manual 2022 Sunset 28 foot trailer
Bus Project pages: http://beltguy.com/Bus_Project/busproject.htm
Blog: https://beltguy.com/Travelogue/
Email: eaglesinternational.email at gmail.com   NOTE this email box is only for general correspondence related to the forum and not technical advice.  Technical questions will not receive a response.
Songman
Club Member
Club Member
FMCA #: F404262
Bus Model: 1993 Silver Eagle Model 15-45

Post by Songman »

Duane,

If you really want rid of that hydraulic fan system I will be glad to pull the stock system off of my 10 and trade you. I was planning on putting a hydraulic fan system on the 10 anyway and just lucked out when the Model 20 came with it.

My only hands on experience with a hydraulic fan system is in Don Fairchild's 8V92 powered Country Coach. The fan is thermostatically controlled to cut on and off like any electric fan would do. I've traveled all through the mountains with Don in 110+ California heat and never saw him go over 200 degrees with no extra cooling needed. Plus, the fact that the fan is not pulling directly off the engine and robbing HP, especially when a clutch fan would really be pulling, saves him HP and that translates into MPH and MPG. That is part of the reason Don is able to pull almost 9mpg out of an 8V92.

Personally, I think you should keep it, but if you want rid of it I'll be glad to trade you. And don't forget that you can run other accessories off of that hydraulic unit with no further pull on the engine as well.

Dale
Dale Houston
1993 Eagle 15-45
Nashville, TN