Announcement Block
As of 12/1/2021, a major update of the forum software was accomplished

Update: 3/7/2024: The Eagles email account at GoDaddy no longer works. I have set up a gmail account as a workaround: eaglesinternational.email at gmail.com

Registration is open to the public (*) and free from any cost or obligation. Please allow up to 36 hours for your application to be processed. If you have problems registering, please email me at: eaglesinternational.email at gmail.com
(*) spambots will be deleted -- only legitimate public applications will be processed.

Reminder: the "quick links" menu offers you the best navigation of this forum -- you need to be registered and logged in to see that menu.

Installation of SS hinges on Eagle Baggage Door hardware

This is a public forum to discuss Eagle related technical issues. If you are having a problem with your Eagle, this is the place to find help.
Gary LaBombard
Club Member
Club Member
FMCA #: F185090
Bus Model: 1973 Model 05 Eagle

Installation of SS hinges on Eagle Baggage Door hardware

Post by Gary LaBombard »

Hey Guys,
I am having trouble posting more than one photos on this post, every time I go to get another photos, my post disappears. So until I figure out how in the dickens to dock my post as I go to photo bucket for more photos I will make a couple of post and wait on instructions how to dock the original post until all photos are posted. question, is there a limit as to how many photos can be posted in an indivudal post?

Here is photo number one, this is the way the stainless hinge material is to be hung into the upper baggage door slot for the baggage door to hang verticle and flat. If the hinge is turned around with the bend to the inside your door will hang at about 10-20 deg. out. Now my hinge material was purchased from Ed Gallant, from Bostic, NC. I belive he only post occasionly on MAK and you can request he email you if you are intersted in this safety hinge to be used in conjunction with the regular NEW rubber hinge material.

The hinge is bent to bue used on a couple of bus models, so be sure to tell Ed it is for an Eagle baggage door slot. The material is normaly about 4 inches in length and you need one hinge on each end of the hinge slot anchored with safety screws on the inside. Now, If you do not remove the entire upper section of the eagle baggage slot from the bus like I did you will not be able to get this SS hinge into the slot as received without opening up the middle of the hardware slot longer to install the SS hinges. I do not recommend that, what I do recommend is that you cut the hinge material in half and if you have to enlarge the entrance slot to install the hinge it will be minimal. I believe installing 1/2 of the hinge on each end to be sufficient when anchored in place to fully assist in support and take the full pressure off the normal rubber hinge material used. Boy I hope you all understand all this mumbo jumbo alright. It is only intended to inform you of potential problems if installed incorrectly.

If I had put mine in wrong I bondo'd over the entire top support bracket and would of been really upset to try fix this so you get my drift. If you have a situation as simple as this pass it on to us all as a reminder, we will all be grateful if is is used by any of us doing ther same repairs. I believe this SS hinge to be the safest feature thought of as I have had one of my baggage doors collapse behing my legs when leaning inside of my bus and I was stuck there for maybe 20 minutes in the most severe pain you can imagine. I did not work on my bus again for 3-4 weeks, consider doing this if your hinge material is showing signs of wear and rotted from the sun etc. You will no longer have to worry about this, ever I believe. I hope this all helps you out. I will post photos of the new smooth doors I have made with all the hardware installed when they are done, maybe a week or so the most, I HOPE!!

Here is photo number one, I will post this photo then try to edit after with another photos after it is posted to our bb'd. I gotta work on my computer skills.

Gary
Last edited by Gary LaBombard on Fri Feb 27, 2009 3:36 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Owner of the "Rustless Money Pit" 1973 Model 05 Eagle.
http://busconverter101.com for instructional video
Eaglesinternational bb'd best site for Eagle owners to receive information.
Dreamscape
FMCA #: F391238
Bus Model: 1968 Silver Eagle Model 01

Re: Installation of SS hinges on Eagle Baggage Door hardware

Post by Dreamscape »

Gary, Open up another window with the pics, always leave your post open in another window. Put your pictures anywhere you want them in your post. Dale helped me remember that because I'm so used to clicking on a link and another window pops up, not here. Anyway, Thanks for sharing all of your ideas, they are worth the effort!

Hope I didn't confuse you too much, ;)

~Paul~
Paul Lawry
Dreamscape
1968 Eagle 01 #7443
Silver 8V92 HT 740

Dreamscape Build Blog: https://dreamscapesilvereagle.wordpress.com/
Gary LaBombard
Club Member
Club Member
FMCA #: F185090
Bus Model: 1973 Model 05 Eagle

Post by Gary LaBombard »

Hey Paul,
Thanks for the help, I figured it out and now can relax my colon. I hope this is useful, any questions please feel free to email me or any kind of contact is fine.

I will photograph the entire assembly of my door, (Being Done Alone) to show you how it can be done, but don't if you have friends. Always love your friends, give them hugs every time you can.

Thanks Wayne and Paul again.

Gary
Owner of the "Rustless Money Pit" 1973 Model 05 Eagle.
http://busconverter101.com for instructional video
Eaglesinternational bb'd best site for Eagle owners to receive information.
rusty
FMCA #: F341087
Bus Model: 1972 05 completed 2003
1994 15/45 in progress

Post by rusty »

Gary Thank You for taking time to post this process. I realy like the way this site is becoming a great place for all of us to learn from.

Stay safe Wayne