Announcement Block
As of 12/1/2021, a major update of the forum software was accomplished

Update: 3/7/2024: The Eagles email account at GoDaddy no longer works. I have set up a gmail account as a workaround: eaglesinternational.email at gmail.com

Registration is open to the public (*) and free from any cost or obligation. Please allow up to 36 hours for your application to be processed. If you have problems registering, please email me at: eaglesinternational.email at gmail.com
(*) spambots will be deleted -- only legitimate public applications will be processed.

Reminder: the "quick links" menu offers you the best navigation of this forum -- you need to be registered and logged in to see that menu.

Miter Box

This is a public forum to discuss Eagle related technical issues. If you are having a problem with your Eagle, this is the place to find help.
buscrazyinFL
Club Member
Club Member
FMCA #: F385289
Bus Model: 1972 Eagle 05
Vin # 8851

Miter Box

Post by buscrazyinFL »

My miter box has been leaking oil on top and I think it is because when I bought it the fill tube cap was missing and the mechanic put one on that he had, but I don't think it was the right one. It wouldn't come off at all,so I broke off the cap then I took the fill tube off and bought a new one at Lowes. The pipe is a simple black iron pipe. My ? is, should the gears in the miter box be coverd with gear oil while it is sitting still? I mean, in a bath if that makes sense. I'm asking because when I took off the fill tube and I looked inside, there didn't seem to be enough oil in there. According to the dip stick it does have sufficient oil, but I'm not completely certain the dip stick is accurate. Also, I was told to use 40 wt gear oil is that correct? I was going to use Lucas gear oil, would synthetic gear oil be better?

The old tube and cap

The new tube

Manny & Darlene's
1972 Silver Eagle 05
VIN # 8851
8V71 / HT740 4 Speed Automatic
rusty
FMCA #: F341087
Bus Model: 1972 05 completed 2003
1994 15/45 in progress

Re: Miter Box

Post by rusty »

Manny, I don't have a stock miter box in fact mine is a prevost. If I understand you, you want to replace the breather with to pipe. The breather cap lets air in and out of the box as it expands with heat. If you don't have that you will blow seals. I don't think the gears have to be covered with oil when they turn they throw oil all over the parts that need oil. I run synthetic oil in my box because I believe in the stuff. I will check the weigth of oil and pass it on to you. One thing to think about is synthetic will find any loss seals you have and leak out.

Hope this helps Wayne
beltguy
Site Admin
Site Admin
FMCA #: F246286
Bus Model: 1985 Eagle 10 with Series 60 and Eaton AutoShift 10 speed transmission (SOLD)

Post by beltguy »

Manny, like Wayne, I have a different box on mine because of the engine conversion. As Wayne pointed out, the box needs to breathe.

My box is an industrial box that came with what appears to be a fitting with a very small hole in it. It might have some sort of valving. I was not happy with the fact that the breather was on the top and got a lot of dirt on it from travelling in dusty areas. My thought was that it might allow the dust enter the box as it cooled off.

The breather was a standard pipe fitting. I made a copper tube with one full loop with the opening pointed down. The tube has about an 8 inch riser. I figure that is good enough to keep most stuff out of the box and still let it breathe.

Jim
Jim Shepherd
Evergreen, CO
'85 Eagle 10 with Series 60 & Eaton AutoShift 10 speed transmission SOLD
2005 Dodge 2500 with 5.9 Cummins and 6 speed manual 2022 Sunset 28 foot trailer
Bus Project pages: http://beltguy.com/Bus_Project/busproject.htm
Blog: https://beltguy.com/Travelogue/
Email: eaglesinternational.email at gmail.com   NOTE this email box is only for general correspondence related to the forum and not technical advice.  Technical questions will not receive a response.
Boomer
Club Member
Club Member
FMCA #: F352905
Bus Model: 1981 Eagle M10. Stretched, widened, raised to M15/45 specs. Cummins ISM 450, Allison World transmission. Mid entry door.

Post by Boomer »

Hey Manny

The book calls for straight HD 30# or 40# engine oil depending on climate. I believe your Morse box should be filled with 3 qts. You might have to drain the box and refill with new oil to get the right oil level. If your seals are leaking, that would be the time to replace them. If Silver Eagle or Jefferson Bus does not have the original dipstick/vent, new or used, there is an alternative that I think will work and that is the dipstick/vent that is used on the Superior Gearbox that Prevost uses. The part number is 550812. I have one, I will email you a picture of it. Or....if you feel ambitious you could drill and tap the case and install a sight glass. You must properly vent the gearbox though or it will blow the seals. You could put any type of vent in the top, or the old standby curled 1/4" copper tubing that us old timers used to use. Good luck, Mark
Boomer
Club Member
Club Member
Bus Model: 1981 Eagle M10. Stretched, widened, raised to M15/45 specs. Cummins ISM 450, Allison World transmission. Mid entry door.

Post by Boomer »

By the way, that old dipstick looks like something off a power steering reservoir or something. It might have been venting but it looks like the dipstick is nowhere near long enough to me.
luvrbus
Club Member
Club Member
FMCA #: F262917
Bus Model: 05

Post by luvrbus »

Manny, I will try and help you out if can the beather goes on top of the cover where the 1/8 pipe plug is located 2 inchs above the cover to prevent oil from blowing out.The dipstick is 9 inches long sets 2 inches above the housing with the full mark 1 inch up on the stick and no the gears are not covered in grease with your stick you probably have to much oil there is about 1 to 1 1/2 inches of oil in the bottom of the case. Now is when I wish I post a photo for you good luck.PS my manual calls for Hypoid GL-5 sa3 85 /90 above 10 degrees and 80/90 below 10 to - 15 degrees

Clifford
Boomer
Club Member
Club Member

Post by Boomer »

I took the info from the Trailways Eagle M5 and M10 Inspection and Troubleshooting manual. Not positive about the correct quantity of oil, the printing is of poor quality. It looks like 3 qts, anybody got a better quality manual? It does say engine oil, 40 weight for warm climes. The Prevost dipstick is 5 1/2" long and the tube extends 1 1/2" above the top of the case.
buscrazyinFL
Club Member
Club Member
FMCA #: F385289
Bus Model: 1972 Eagle 05
Vin # 8851

Post by buscrazyinFL »

Thank you guys for the info. I was going to work on this project today but my day went South. I went to work on a safe and it took longer than it should have, what can I say, it was an imported safe (and it was JUNK).

As far as my miter box is concerned, it has a dip stick tube with a dip stick in it, and then it has another tube with the silver cap (see earlier picture). That's the one I was going to cap off...glad now I didn't. I didn't realize it had to breathe. Would the dip stick tube and dip stick have allowed enough air for it to breathe? I will try to take more pictures tomorrow?

Here is a picture that Boomer emailed to me. Notice that the filler tube is plugged, but it only has a dip stick tube (and not the other filler tube). Can I do the same thing?????

Manny & Darlene's
1972 Silver Eagle 05
VIN # 8851
8V71 / HT740 4 Speed Automatic
rusty
FMCA #: F341087
Bus Model: 1972 05 completed 2003
1994 15/45 in progress

Post by rusty »

My breather is simple like Jims. I screwed in a barb fitting and atached a hose about 3/8 inside diameter. I ran it up about 12 inches and then back down to about the bottom of the miter box. It has worked just fine for 6 years.

Good Luck Wayne
Dreamscape
FMCA #: F391238
Bus Model: 1968 Silver Eagle Model 01

Post by Dreamscape »

On our 01 we have just the dip stick, no breather. The tube and the dip stick let enough air in by itself. I can't post a picture because I'm not at home.

~Paul~
Paul Lawry
Dreamscape
1968 Eagle 01 #7443
Silver 8V92 HT 740

Dreamscape Build Blog: https://dreamscapesilvereagle.wordpress.com/