Announcement Block
As of 12/1/2021, a major update of the forum software was accomplished

Update: 3/7/2024: The Eagles email account at GoDaddy no longer works. I have set up a gmail account as a workaround: eaglesinternational.email at gmail.com

Registration is open to the public (*) and free from any cost or obligation. Please allow up to 36 hours for your application to be processed. If you have problems registering, please email me at: eaglesinternational.email at gmail.com
(*) spambots will be deleted -- only legitimate public applications will be processed.

Reminder: the "quick links" menu offers you the best navigation of this forum -- you need to be registered and logged in to see that menu.

Rust Bullet

This is a public forum to discuss Eagle related technical issues. If you are having a problem with your Eagle, this is the place to find help.
van
Club Member
Club Member

Rust Bullet

Post by van »

Hi folks,what is rust bullet and where can I get my hands on some .I have seen it used on a few restored buses and now I see that kentuckysteve has used it also ,any info ,advice ?Steve ?

thanks in advance as always

van
beltguy
Site Admin
Site Admin
FMCA #: F246286
Bus Model: 1985 Eagle 10 with Series 60 and Eaton AutoShift 10 speed transmission (SOLD)

Re: Rust Bullet

Post by beltguy »

Hi Van. Rust Bullet is some great stuff. I learned about it from Gary LaBombard. I used it on the engine compartment of the bus after I double tubed the frame for strength. Also used it for some of the utility bed/custom topper for my service van.

I made the terrible mistake of spraying the paint without my fresh air mask. Was sick for several days.

When you get it on your hands, it does not come off for several days.

Their site is: http://www.rustbullet.com/

I believe that you have to order it from them. I used the original silver version. Price is high ($156 for four quarts).

Jim
Jim Shepherd
Evergreen, CO
'85 Eagle 10 with Series 60 & Eaton AutoShift 10 speed transmission SOLD
2005 Dodge 2500 with 5.9 Cummins and 6 speed manual 2022 Sunset 28 foot trailer
Bus Project pages: http://beltguy.com/Bus_Project/busproject.htm
Blog: https://beltguy.com/Travelogue/
Email: eaglesinternational.email at gmail.com   NOTE this email box is only for general correspondence related to the forum and not technical advice.  Technical questions will not receive a response.
Kentucky Steve
Bus Model: 1969 05 number 7900

Post by Kentucky Steve »

Van,

Rust Bullet is just the best thing to put rust, in check, that's on the market, in my opinion that is. Have you heard of por 15?? Well Rust bullet beats it in my opinion. Rust Bullet cures from the inside out and expells air as it cures. I cant say enough good about it. I will find a link to it for you to read up on it. This stuff addhears to metal so well it will stick the paint can lid to the ring "permantlly". One side note though. DO'NT let it settle on anything you dont want it on. This stuff has to wear off of your skin......Gary Labombard turned me on to it and he has painted everything with it and knows Rust Bullet better than I. It gets its color from shards of alluminumumumum (I know) that is in it, and that's what makes it look like it . 90 % of my frame is new and I trusted Rust Bullet enough to protect it. I will let you read up on it via the link here. Its only available thru thier site as far as I know.

........................ http://rustbullet.com ...................

.............................Kentucky Steve .....................
van
Club Member
Club Member

Post by van »

thanks JIM and Steve for the links that is amazing I never knew about this stuff :o ,I love a new resource,thanks again fellas

Van
Kentucky Steve
Bus Model: 1969 05 number 7900

Post by Kentucky Steve »

Jim,
We were posting the same time. I wanted to come back to this thread to add that I made the same mistake as you (not putting on my respirator) last week. I had gotten in some small washers from SilverEagle and got in a hurry to paint them so I could hang my differential back under the bus. I was outside in about a 5 mph wind and still I got sick also. I think that it is the fact that water makes it set instantly and that must be what it does in our lungs. Just thought I'd come back in here with another warning. I hope Gary will jump in here also.

..................Kentucky Steve ................
Gary LaBombard
Club Member
Club Member
FMCA #: F185090
Bus Model: 1973 Model 05 Eagle

Post by Gary LaBombard »

Well guys I can't add too much more here than what hasn't already been said by Jim and Steve. It pleases me that they love this product as much as I and what I will add here is just a little safety things you should always remember when using this product. To see the testing results against many other rust preventitive products go to their website as posted by Steve & Jim. Now for a couple of things to remember when using this, do not be a hot shot and think your lungs can only be harmed by Kyroptonite.

1) always, always use a respirator when you are mixing or spraying this paint even if you are in the open air outside. The fumes can be overwhelming and very dangerous as stated on their cans and instructions you will receive with each order. Note: When I say respirator, I mean the kind with canisters that you pull air through and they cover your mouth and nose completely. DO NOT TRY TO THINK THE PAPER PAINT MASKS WORK, YOU WILL BE GOING TO THE HOSPITAL WITH A VERY FAST HEART RATE LIKE JIM DID BEFORE I WARNED HIM. "THIS IS THE MOST IMPORTANT THING TO ALWAYS, ALWAYS REMEMBER"!!

2) Always make sure you have completely stirred the paint before use to properly mix the aluminum thoroughly in the paint or you will have a discoloration that will look greenish after time of the pretty silver paint color you first paint on your metal.

3) This paint works good on NEW metal but even better on rusty metal that makes the additives in the paint do their job as designed. Be sure new metal has the protective film from manufacturing on it removed. I found that a spray bottle of (Dawn Dish Soap) and some paper towels will remove most of this coating very easily. Leave the Dawn Dish soap on the new metal a few minutes but do not let dry, wipe off, do twice to be sure you have it nice and clean. Also be sure this surface is dry from the cleaning before painting, Rustbullet does not like water to cover or even be painted on any surface should it be raining out side. It picks up moisture and makes a mess. Use this on nice days and not rainy days. After it has dried I don't care if you throw the painted metal in a septic tank, you will not hurt it, but not during application of the painting!!

4) On rusty metal, just scrape or wire brush the loose rust off areas you want to paint. Oh, be sure the metal under the rust is of thickness worth salvaging, test this with a sharp awl or a couple burps of a air hammer with a sharp tool on it. If either tool brakes through the outer metal into the center, replace the metal. The Rustbullet is not a metal thickness builder.

5) Be sure to always wear protective clothing on your arms and wear safety glasses to protect splashing from mixing this paint. If this paint gets on you I guarantee you will look like the tin man on the Wizard of Ozz for no less than 8 days. Use extreme care.

6) I recommend using the (silver or automotive) selection of Rustbullet as it is somewhat thinner than the Gold cans which is very difficult to spray paint. The silver has to have a nozzle opening of 1.8-2.0mm to spray right out of the can. Do not dilute unless absolutely necessary, if you have to add 1/2 oz. of (xylene from Low's or HD) to paint just to make thin enough to spray.

7) count on spraying 2-3 coats of rust bullet to get the thickness recommended for a lifetime of protection. You need to have the paint about (.006) in total thickness to do this, it is very difficult to get this thickness on one or two sprays without making runs.

8) If you allow the paint to thoroughtly dry over 7 days, you will have to scruff up the rustbullet applied with 150 grit paper to have the shinny surface bond to the new paint. The best thing to do is have your metal all ready to paint, then to test when to do all three coats of paint just take a pair of rubber gloves you will wear on and when the glove does not stick to the paint in any way, paint another coat. Do this 3 times and forget about rust forever again. Great on metal posts going in the ground or metal mail box poles.

9) Oh, very important here also, do not paint in windy circumstances out side. Beside being dangerous to you the applicator person, this paint drifts very easily and can easily land on another automobile, house or worse yet your neighbors property, kids, wife or animals!! Wear a Paint suit if spraying confined or large painting surfaces!!

10) Be sure to read all the instructions received with Rustbullet product even if you are an experienced painter, there is safety information there that could save your life and having the correct safety equipment should always be your highest priority for a successful application of this product.

Well I hope you have not fallen asleep reading this.

I also hope it helps and good luck. Remember-Safety, Safety first, ALWAYS!!

Gary
Owner of the "Rustless Money Pit" 1973 Model 05 Eagle.
http://busconverter101.com for instructional video
Eaglesinternational bb'd best site for Eagle owners to receive information.
luvrbus
Club Member
Club Member
FMCA #: F262917
Bus Model: 05

Post by luvrbus »

Gary, man it's good to see your post I thought you would never come through, got tired of of my Emails huh,you have so much to offer send Dale a link to your web site I don't know how I gave up after 2 days
Gary LaBombard
Club Member
Club Member

Post by Gary LaBombard »

Cliff & Paul,
There is no way I could get tired of emails from guys like you and with the projects I have going on I will do all I can to participate. I enjoy posting and contributing and really look forward to receiving knowledge to assist me when I finally have no more rust like KY-Steve. Now there is a bus conversion to be proud of as well.

Write me emails any time you wish, that goes for any of you who know my missions to help as a busnut.

Gary
Dreamscape
FMCA #: F391238
Bus Model: 1968 Silver Eagle Model 01

Post by Dreamscape »

Hi Gary,

It is great to have you posting here! We are looking forward to hearing more from you. Your knowledge and workmanship will help keep this board going strong.

This is a great place for us Eagle Owners to really talk about our projects without any fear of bashing.

Paul
Paul Lawry
Dreamscape
1968 Eagle 01 #7443
Silver 8V92 HT 740

Dreamscape Build Blog: https://dreamscapesilvereagle.wordpress.com/
Gary LaBombard
Club Member
Club Member

Post by Gary LaBombard »

Paul,
This is why I am posting on this bb'd, I have missed posting a lot, I get lengthy but I try to solve problems for others so they do not have to even think hardly if they have a problem I can solve. I feel comfortable again.
Gary