Announcement Block
As of 12/1/2021, a major update of the forum software was accomplished

Update: 3/7/2024: The Eagles email account at GoDaddy no longer works. I have set up a gmail account as a workaround: eaglesinternational.email at gmail.com

Registration is open to the public (*) and free from any cost or obligation. Please allow up to 36 hours for your application to be processed. If you have problems registering, please email me at: eaglesinternational.email at gmail.com
(*) spambots will be deleted -- only legitimate public applications will be processed.

Reminder: the "quick links" menu offers you the best navigation of this forum -- you need to be registered and logged in to see that menu.

how long to build an Eagle?

This is a public forum to discuss Eagle related technical issues. If you are having a problem with your Eagle, this is the place to find help.
norcal_kyle

how long to build an Eagle?

Post by norcal_kyle »

so i have a different type of question for you guys, but still very Eagle related:

i remember last year at some point i was ordering a part from Dan at Silver Eagle and we got to talking for a few minutes and he told me that back when he was working at the factory, it took Eagle 17 days to build a bus from start to finish(i think it was 17, but im only about 80% on that).

im very curious as to what the process was during those 17 days. a play-by-play, if you will. you know, "first they welded the frame together, then painted it, let that dry for XX hours, the next day the axles were installed......" you get the idea.

i know it seems random but id really like to know.

maybe dan can chime in?

kyle
SmoothJazz

Re: how long to build an Eagle?

Post by SmoothJazz »

Kyle,

It actually took 21 days from start to finish assuming all material was in each station when needed. Here is a brief synopsis of how the produstion line was run.

Station 0

This station is where they welded up all the sub frame assemblies such as bulkheads, side frames, roof frame, etc.

Station 1

This station is where they assembled the frame in the main frame jig and also wiped the frame down to prepare it for primer coating. When the coach frame was removed from the main jig, it had the suspension and srive axle installed.

Station 2

This station was a paint booth where the actually primed the entire frame.

Station 3-9 referred to as the Joining area.

These stations installed the air brake system, electrical system, roof skins, front and rear crown, silver siding and upper aluminum siding and interior floor. They also insulated the bus. Keep in mind that there were many other stations along the line that assembled the doors and electrical wiring harnesses that fed the production line. They also installed the HVAC system and radiator.

Station 10, Paint

The coach was painted half way through the production line. This cut down on the man hours it took to prep the bus for paint since there was now windows or trim on at this point. Eagle could literally have a bus masked up in 20 minutes and prepped for prime coat in another hour.

Station 11

This station installed all of the exterior windows and trim such as rain gutters and waist band trim

Station 12 Engine build up.

This is where they installed the engine and transmission which would already be built up with all of the accessories and hoses.

Station 13-16, Finishing

These stations focused more on the interior of the coach installing rubber flooring interior panels, dash, seats, etc. They also installed the tires and rims. When the bus came out of station 16 it would run on its own power.

Station 17, Final Barn

In the final barn, they checked the weight and balance, alignment, put the bus on the dynomometer to check engine horsepower, shift points on the transmission, brake balance test on each axle, etc. They also checked all of the wiring, torques, and troubleshooted any problems that may arise. They also cleaned the interior from all debris and prepped for delivery. They also road tested the coach several times. The coach was water tested for leaks and undercoated. They also had a paint booth in the final barn for and paint touch ups that may be needed.

This is all very brief, but it gives you a general idea of how the production line worked. Any questions, ask away.

Dan
Daniel Lenz
Brownsville, Texas

The work of an unknown good man is like a vein of water flowing hidden underground, secretly making the ground greener.
Harvester
Bus Model: 1990 Eagle Model 15

Post by Harvester »

Thanks Dan,
You have a great memory?
Harvester
1990 Eagle -Model 15
Connelly Springs, NC
Harvester
Bus Model: 1990 Eagle Model 15

Post by Harvester »

Thanks Dan,
You have a great memory?

I must have a nervous finger..........Two post, same message.
norcal_kyle

Post by norcal_kyle »

dan,

thanks! that was exactly what i was wondering about. we've all seen how our friends take these buses apart and put them back together, but i was curious how Eagle did it.

another question: as Eagle introduced different models, lengths, and widths of coaches, did the process pretty much stay the same till the end? i mean, on the production line, could they build 15-45's right along side of 20's? or was there modifications that needed to be done to the line?

and lastly........any pictures lying around? :D

kyle
EAGLE78550
Bus Model: 1989 Eagle Model 15-45 Entertainer "Gertrude" from the movie "The Rocker "

Post by EAGLE78550 »

I have a ton of pictures ....most all are from the Redden archives ...and then my own pictures ....I dont know if I would be able to scan and post them as they are copyrighted....but mine I could scan and post ....if you do some web search for Redden archive stuff he made some videos about the Eagle plant with great footage ....
I do the difficult everyday ...the impossible just takes a little longer.
SmoothJazz

Post by SmoothJazz »

Kyle,

All models were built along side each other. Most of the differences were in the weld up area where they had all the jigs to produce all models.
Daniel Lenz
Brownsville, Texas

The work of an unknown good man is like a vein of water flowing hidden underground, secretly making the ground greener.
beltguy
Site Admin
Site Admin
FMCA #: F246286
Bus Model: 1985 Eagle 10 with Series 60 and Eaton AutoShift 10 speed transmission (SOLD)

Post by beltguy »

I looked up the Redden site. Here is the link: http://www.reddenarchives.com/DVD/eagle.html

I wish I had the money to order the two videos ($45.95).

It would sure be fun to watch them at our next rally (hint hint).

Eagle78550, how many pictures do you have? If you have a lot, maybe one of us could put together a CD that could be made available to help add to the assistance fund of Eagles International.

Jim
Jim Shepherd
Evergreen, CO
'85 Eagle 10 with Series 60 & Eaton AutoShift 10 speed transmission SOLD
2005 Dodge 2500 with 5.9 Cummins and 6 speed manual 2022 Sunset 28 foot trailer
Bus Project pages: http://beltguy.com/Bus_Project/busproject.htm
Blog: https://beltguy.com/Travelogue/
Email: eaglesinternational.email at gmail.com   NOTE this email box is only for general correspondence related to the forum and not technical advice.  Technical questions will not receive a response.
van
Club Member
Club Member

Post by van »

Jim,good lookin out bud ,does any one here own a copy of the video already?maybe they could elaborate as to the quality and the content?Wish I had the dough too :roll: