Announcement Block
As of 12/1/2021, a major update of the forum software was accomplished

Update: 3/7/2024: The Eagles email account at GoDaddy no longer works. I have set up a gmail account as a workaround: eaglesinternational.email at gmail.com

Registration is open to the public (*) and free from any cost or obligation. Please allow up to 36 hours for your application to be processed. If you have problems registering, please email me at: eaglesinternational.email at gmail.com
(*) spambots will be deleted -- only legitimate public applications will be processed.

Reminder: the "quick links" menu offers you the best navigation of this forum -- you need to be registered and logged in to see that menu.

Charge rate

This is a public forum to discuss Eagle related technical issues. If you are having a problem with your Eagle, this is the place to find help.
Eagle Andy
Club Member
Club Member
FMCA #: F299044
Bus Model: 1968 SE Model 05

Charge rate

Post by Eagle Andy »

Hi Guys and Gal's Ok I have a ? about trace inverters/ chargers . I checked Battries today and all seems well right at 6.50 on the house and 12.61 on the two starter .. How low do the batteris have to get before the charger kicks in . I checked the charge rate on my remote and it shows o.oo and the battrey charge shows 12.8 . Do I need to have the inverter turned on for the charger to work. Iam really trying to learn this stuff. So be gentle . Thanks Andy
Andy Wright 68 Silver Eagle Model 5 8V92 #7481
rusty
FMCA #: F341087
Bus Model: 1972 05 completed 2003
1994 15/45 in progress

Re: Charge rate

Post by rusty »

Andy, No help here but I will watch this as I would like to know.

Good Luck Wayne
Sunchaser Art
Board Member
Board Member
FMCA #: F351294
Bus Model: 1988 Eagle 15

Post by Sunchaser Art »

Andy-

Sounds like your batteries are about up to speed. My charge rate is about 13.8 (according to the gauge on my inside panel), whether it's in bulk or float charge. The inverter does have to be on if it's going to charge (I'm not sure what model you have, but some have a "charge" only selection on the panel. I'm not sure how your interter is wired, but when you first turn it on, it may bulk charge the batteries and draw 10-15 amps AC (depending on the shore line size if you have a manual adjustment for that), then slow down to a trickle (2-3 amps AC). I found the best teacher for some of these systems is to grab the manual, a cold beer (or two), and start screwing around with buttons to see what happens!

Good luck,

Art
Art Wales
1988 Eagle 15
6V92/740
Riverside County, CA
Eagle Andy
Club Member
Club Member

Post by Eagle Andy »

Hey Art , Thanks for the tip. I have no manuel but I know it's 2000 watt trace 25th FMCA anniversary model. I have a remote in the coach and buttons on the inverter in the basement. On the remote it has on/off button, Battery voltage button, Charge rate button ,Source HZ button and Peak V button. I went out and looked at the inverter and on the side it say's 2.5 KW impluse phase FLT power inverter. Now when I plug the Bus in to shore power I have 110 power but no charger or reading's on the panel . When I hit the power button I get all the reading's when I push any of the buttons. and I get a charge rate. So Iam thinking I need the inverter on to charge the battries. Am I missing something or is that the way it supposed to work . Thanks for any help in this matter . Andy
Sunchaser Art
Board Member
Board Member

Post by Sunchaser Art »

Andy-

I couldn't find anything on that particular model of inverter; the only humble thought I can offer is to monkey around with the buttons. I'll bet Dick Wright at Wrico in Oregon could help you out (541) 744-4333.

As a thought (and these come rare), perhaps you could disconnect all of the batteries and connect a known low charge state battery to the inverter (not a defective battery with a dead cell or bulging case, though). Then power up and see if the inverter indicates a charge rate.

Art
Art Wales
1988 Eagle 15
6V92/740
Riverside County, CA
Eagle Andy
Club Member
Club Member

Post by Eagle Andy »

Hey Art , Thanks for the advice. I took the advice of the beer and pushing buttons and figured it out. My charge rate is right at 13.8 and things work real well once you understand how things work. lol once again I have to thank the guys whom love there toy's as much as I do .

Thanks Andy
Sunchaser Art
Board Member
Board Member

Post by Sunchaser Art »

Once again my theory proves correct: never under estimate the power of a cold beer!!

Glad you figured it out.

Art
Art Wales
1988 Eagle 15
6V92/740
Riverside County, CA