Announcement Block
As of 12/1/2021, a major update of the forum software was accomplished

Update: 3/7/2024: The Eagles email account at GoDaddy no longer works. I have set up a gmail account as a workaround: eaglesinternational.email at gmail.com

Registration is open to the public (*) and free from any cost or obligation. Please allow up to 36 hours for your application to be processed. If you have problems registering, please email me at: eaglesinternational.email at gmail.com
(*) spambots will be deleted -- only legitimate public applications will be processed.

Reminder: the "quick links" menu offers you the best navigation of this forum -- you need to be registered and logged in to see that menu.

Trailer Hitch Thoughts??

This is a public forum to discuss Eagle related technical issues. If you are having a problem with your Eagle, this is the place to find help.
luvrbus
Club Member
Club Member
FMCA #: F262917
Bus Model: 05

Re: Trailer Hitch Thoughts??

Post by luvrbus »

Yep, that is the way to build one mine is like that with the bolts going through the frame in factory holes.Art don't make the mistake I did on the first one not paying any attention I lined mine up with the center of the engine LOL

Clifford
Songman
Club Member
Club Member
FMCA #: F404262
Bus Model: 1993 Silver Eagle Model 15-45

Post by Songman »

Art, your engine layout is like mine. The engine is very near the rear of the bus. I just went out and took a look at my hitch and it would not be bad for a small car. I think I might redo the ends to have a bit more weight in them. I don't know that the single bolt going into the welded plate has as much strength as I would like.

One thing I like about my hitch is the added support running down under the engine crossmember. As Clifford said, the hitch is centered on the engine instead of on the bus. I don't know if this was accidental or intentional, as Jim pointed out.
hitch1.jpg
hitch1.jpg (83.58 KiB) Viewed 2105 times
hitch2.jpg
hitch2.jpg (70.92 KiB) Viewed 2105 times
hitch3.jpg
hitch3.jpg (90.7 KiB) Viewed 2105 times
Dale Houston
1993 Eagle 15-45
Nashville, TN
luvrbus
Club Member
Club Member

Post by luvrbus »

Dale,centering on the engine is a easy mistake to make with the bumper off I found out later that a few of my friends make the same mistake.with the hitch setting on top of the rail with a 3/4 grade 8 bolt 1 bolt on each side it will hold just fine that one bolt will pull the engine rail apart.My pickup has a 24k 5th wheel hitch and has 4- 1/2 bolts holding it scary huh

Clifford
Songman
Club Member
Club Member
FMCA #: F404262
Bus Model: 1993 Silver Eagle Model 15-45

Post by Songman »

Clifford, what about the way mine is bolted to the welded on tab? You think that is okay if the bolt is Grade 8? I will probably never be towing anything bigger than a Jeep.
Dale Houston
1993 Eagle 15-45
Nashville, TN
luvrbus
Club Member
Club Member

Post by luvrbus »

Dale, the short welded tab with a 3/4 bolt through is not going to bend or break if you had a tab 6 inches long and the bar didn't go all the way across the frame side to side that would be a different story.I would go any where with your hitch nothing wrong with it other than off center

Clifford
Dreamscape
FMCA #: F391238
Bus Model: 1968 Silver Eagle Model 01

Post by Dreamscape »

Dale,

I agree with Clifford, it won't break unless you try to tow a tank! :lol:

I have heard some who have made their hitch off center so they could see their toad with their mirrors. Don't have any experience with it but it makes some sense.

At least you have a receiver, I don't and I need to redo it!
Paul Lawry
Dreamscape
1968 Eagle 01 #7443
Silver 8V92 HT 740

Dreamscape Build Blog: https://dreamscapesilvereagle.wordpress.com/
Sunchaser Art
Board Member
Board Member
FMCA #: F351294
Bus Model: 1988 Eagle 15

Post by Sunchaser Art »

Well, thanks for everyone's thoughts and pictures. I'm putting some plans together and I'll send pics of what I come-up with. . .and I'm sure Cindy will be posting them on the Sunchaser website (one day, I'll get her to post a project thread).

I found an extended width Class 3 RV hitch (76" wide), and I think with a little bit of 1/4" stock and the trusty arc welder, I might be able to fry something up. Once I get finished, I think we'll take the car out for a drag to Yuma sometime near the end of March. If you happen to see a maroon color Honda sedan out in a ditch somewhere near Yuma, please call me and let me know where it is!!

Art
Art Wales
1988 Eagle 15
6V92/740
Riverside County, CA
beltguy
Site Admin
Site Admin
FMCA #: F246286
Bus Model: 1985 Eagle 10 with Series 60 and Eaton AutoShift 10 speed transmission (SOLD)

Post by beltguy »

Art. I am anal about towing. I have a big concern that tow cables or chains are attached to the trailer hitch. If we turn out to be less than the world's best welder, and the hitch comes loose, everything gets left behind. I have made a 3/8 thick strap that bolts to the large engine mount bolts. I bolt a 3/8 grade 70 (transportation grade) chain to that strap and connect it to the hitch plate that you attach the cables to. Just an extra safety measure.

Speaking of safety cables, the ones that you get with a Roadmaster 10K tow bar are 1/4 inch diameter and only have 6K BREAKING strength. I do not consider that to be acceptable for my 9K pound service truck. I have ordered 5/16 grade 70 chain (4700 pound working and 18,800 breaking) and heavy duty clevis slip hook with a latch for each end). I am bolting 1/2 inch grade 70 chain to the frame of the truck (not tow bar hardware). The safety chain will be a pain, but I really do not want the truck to get loose and kill someone.

A good source for of the chain, hooks, etc is: http://www.safelandindustrial.com/App/s ... rorder.asp

For your Honda, the tow cables will be fine, but you might still want to consider a set of safety chains from the frame to the hitch.

Jim
Jim Shepherd
Evergreen, CO
'85 Eagle 10 with Series 60 & Eaton AutoShift 10 speed transmission SOLD
2005 Dodge 2500 with 5.9 Cummins and 6 speed manual 2022 Sunset 28 foot trailer
Bus Project pages: http://beltguy.com/Bus_Project/busproject.htm
Blog: https://beltguy.com/Travelogue/
Email: eaglesinternational.email at gmail.com   NOTE this email box is only for general correspondence related to the forum and not technical advice.  Technical questions will not receive a response.
Two Feathers
Club Member
Club Member
FMCA #: F234821
Bus Model: 1978 Eagle 05
1990 Eagle 15

Post by Two Feathers »

I don't see what you guys are worried about. I lost my Dodge 4x4 when I first got my bus. I trusted the hitch without even inspecting it. It turns out that when Pacific Diesel rebuilt the engine the hitch was not re-installed. Angola coach prepared to deliver the coach only to find out they could not hook up their tow car. They called the mechanic at 11:00 at night to come to their shop and install the hitch. They were on the road by 1:00 AM. They towed their tow car from Florida to New Mexico. I hooked up my truck and hauled it to Quartzsite. On the way home I lost the truck in eastern Arizona. The whole hitch assembly, saftety chains and all pulled of TACK WELDS, and went out into the desert with my truck at 75 MPH. I drove an additional 26 miles before I discovered it was gone. You talk about a MOBILE ANGIOPLASTY. Every vein in my body swelled up thinking I might have killed someone. The Arizona State Patrol found it with searchlights. No one was injured. It did take out 14 steel posts and a quarter mile of barbed wire. The truck was not damaged.

I guess I will always frett a little over how the hitch is constructed. Oil Field Stout is my choice.

Dave
1990 Eagle 15 Under Construction
Cummins M-11 Celect Plus
Allison 746, T drive axle
luvrbus
Club Member
Club Member

Post by luvrbus »

Dave, they go to right if you are in the right hand lane it is the left lane that worries me.I lost a Dodge D 50 one time because the Blue OX broke lucky for me I was in the right lane and just had to pay for a few signs and fencing.No fancy tow bars for me anymore I use a 60 dollar one made from real iron and like you say it is oil field tough.I have a cheap battery powered backup alarm on mine that grounds and goes off if I have a break away now

Clifford