Announcement Block
As of 12/1/2021, a major update of the forum software was accomplished

Update: 3/7/2024: The Eagles email account at GoDaddy no longer works. I have set up a gmail account as a workaround: eaglesinternational.email at gmail.com

Registration is open to the public (*) and free from any cost or obligation. Please allow up to 36 hours for your application to be processed. If you have problems registering, please email me at: eaglesinternational.email at gmail.com
(*) spambots will be deleted -- only legitimate public applications will be processed.

Reminder: the "quick links" menu offers you the best navigation of this forum -- you need to be registered and logged in to see that menu.

Controlling a fire under a bus??? .....

This is a public forum to discuss Eagle related technical issues. If you are having a problem with your Eagle, this is the place to find help.
Kentucky Steve
Bus Model: 1969 05 number 7900

Controlling a fire under a bus??? .....

Post by Kentucky Steve »

Jim,

I have been aiming to get ahold of you on this matter for a while now.
I have gotten my frame repair done now and I am starting to think ahead on some of the systems I will need to rough in before the sheet metal goes on and this is one I know nothing about and from the looks of your knickname you may be the man with all my answers ....lol........ Right now my ? is what areas do I need to think about frame mounted exstengitires on. (where's the spell check....lol....) I know of the obvious like the gen compartment and maybe over the motor but????? I am just not sure of anything except the fact that I do need to address this with the right knowledge. Any input here from everybody would be helpfull. Thanks

........................Kentucky Steve ......................
luvrbus
Club Member
Club Member
FMCA #: F262917
Bus Model: 05

Re: Controlling a fire under a bus??? .....

Post by luvrbus »

Jim, be sure and tell Steve how to stop fire on the outside of a motor home you know if you don't tell with this new board Bob Ward will and I might LOL

PS we have photos
beltguy
Site Admin
Site Admin
FMCA #: F246286
Bus Model: 1985 Eagle 10 with Series 60 and Eaton AutoShift 10 speed transmission (SOLD)

Post by beltguy »

First to Clifford's rude comment :D . At a MAK rally a few years ago I hung my banner on the outside of a motorhome we were using at the time. Unfortunately, I hung the banner over the heater outlet and burned a pretty good size hole in the banner. Bob Ward was the first to see it and ran tours by the motorhome to make sure everyone saw my burned banner :shock:

Now to the question. If you go to a wrecking yard you will find four common burn areas in "modern" motorhomes/buses: engine, tire, generator, and refrigerator (flue).

In general, tire fires are the result of either driving with a dual tire under-inflated, or overheated brakes. Both are driver error in my opinion.

Refrigerator fires are reasonably common. Dometic and Norcold have both had numerous recalls that involved the possibility of fire. About the best way to deal with that kind of fire is to use a Halon fire bottle with a temperature sensitive head. These are small versions of what NASCAR uses in their cars. It would be placed in the flue area.

Electrical fires are not very common anymore.

That leaves engine and generator fires. I have written three articles on the subject for Bus Conversion magazine. I have them posted on our website. The two most related articles are:

http://www.rvsafetysystems.com/Fire%20article.htm
http://www.rvsafetysystems.com/Bus%20Co ... 202008.pdf

I would be glad to answer specific questions if you have them.

Jim
Jim Shepherd
Evergreen, CO
'85 Eagle 10 with Series 60 & Eaton AutoShift 10 speed transmission SOLD
2005 Dodge 2500 with 5.9 Cummins and 6 speed manual 2022 Sunset 28 foot trailer
Bus Project pages: http://beltguy.com/Bus_Project/busproject.htm
Blog: https://beltguy.com/Travelogue/
Email: eaglesinternational.email at gmail.com   NOTE this email box is only for general correspondence related to the forum and not technical advice.  Technical questions will not receive a response.
Kentucky Steve
Bus Model: 1969 05 number 7900

Post by Kentucky Steve »

Jim,

Thanks for the info. I will read and study it several times in the next couple of months then I will get with you to make sure I am on the right track. I am not sure how I have over looked all that great info on your site before. Thanks again

.............Kentucky Steve .............