Announcement Block
As of 12/1/2021, a major update of the forum software was accomplished

Update: 4/20/2024: The Eagles email account at GoDaddy no longer works. I have set up a gmail account as a workaround: eaglesinternational.email@gmail.com (This link seems to work for my outlook email, but may not work for other email platforms. If it does not load, copy and paste the link in your platform.)

Registration is open to the public (*) and free from any cost or obligation. Please allow up to 36 hours for your application to be processed. If you have problems registering, please email me at: eaglesinternational.email@gmail.com
(*) spambots will be deleted -- only legitimate public applications will be processed.

Reminder: the "quick links" menu offers you the best navigation of this forum -- you need to be registered and logged in to see that menu.

Starter problems

This is a public forum to discuss Eagle related technical issues. If you are having a problem with your Eagle, this is the place to find help.
Sparky
Club Member
Club Member
FMCA #: 406128
Bus Model: 1988 Eagle 20

Starter problems

Post by Sparky »

We are having some strange problems with the start on our bus. We had the starte re- built 2 years ago and about 2000 miles ago. Then the end of last summer we started to have problems with it again. It sometimes would not turn over at all and some times it seemed to stick and continue running even after the motor did not start. So I took it to a different local shop than had re built it the first time and they relaced the solenoid and plunger and a few other things that I did not remember. So that was about 2 months ago and about 200 miles. Since it has been rebuilt it has started sticking again some times and then tonight I was able to start the bus up fine at home and we stopped at the grocery store on the way to our site. I shut it down for about 20 minutes. Then when we tried to head out it would not turn over at all. I tried to jump out the start circuit to see if it was a problem with the wiring to the starter,but it does not even try to turn the motor over. It sparks a little but it almost seems like it is seized up. I don't know if it is related but the low voltage light is one when I first turn on the key to start the bus. But once it is running it goes out. So tomorrow morning I will be taking out the starter again so I can get it back to the shop that re built it and try to get our bus out of the store parking lot that it is currently sitting in. Does anyone have any ideas why we might be having so much trouble with our starter. This is getting really old having to remove that starter. It is really not that light. :o

Thanks Scott
The Church's
1988 Model 20
6V92 with 5 speed manual
Dreamscape
FMCA #: F391238
Bus Model: 1968 Silver Eagle Model 01

Re: Starter problems

Post by Dreamscape »

If it only sparks a little, it sounds like you don't have enough power to fire it. Check all leads, grounds etc, make them sparkle. What condition are your batteries? Might also have them checked if suspect. How many batteries and what type?

I had a similar scenario and found that I had one bad battery. Bought one and then added another to make three Group 31's. She spins fast now and fires every time. This is after I had my starter rebuilt twice, from lack of enough energy to the solenoid. It would spin, sometimes faster then slower. That was 4 years ago.

That sucker is heavy, so I'm glad it seems to participate in our journey's!
Paul Lawry
Dreamscape
1968 Eagle 01 #7443
Silver 8V92 HT 740

Dreamscape Build Blog: https://dreamscapesilvereagle.wordpress.com/
John Mellis
Board Member
Board Member
FMCA #: F406126
Bus Model: 1982 Eagle 10

Post by John Mellis »

I 2nd Paul on checking ALL connections. You'd be surprised how much difference this will make. You might even think about new cables. Once I changed all my cables, cutout switches, & made sure everything stayed clean all I have to do now is touch the start switch & we're off. I too had what seemed to be a weak or non participating starter. Not no more...
John & Tara Mellis
Bowman, SC
1982 Eagle Model 10 DD 6V92 Allison Auto
It's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years...
luvrbus
Club Member
Club Member
FMCA #: F262917
Bus Model: 05

Post by luvrbus »

You can replace the old heavy 42mt starter with a new light weight 39mt reduction type for 239.00 with exchange from Blanchard Electric or little over 300 no exchange then your problems are both solved weight and current draw.
People changing to 2 group 31 batteries for the starting kills the 42mt that is a 900 amp starter and 10 hp motor fwiw.

good luck
Clifford
Boomer
Club Member
Club Member
FMCA #: F352905
Bus Model: 1981 Eagle M10. Stretched, widened, raised to M15/45 specs. Cummins ISM 450, Allison World transmission. Mid entry door.

Post by Boomer »

You might check out the new high speed Mitshubishi starters. Way, way lighter and faster. We changed our fleet over from Delco as soon as they came out, what a difference. Factory standard on all Class 8 trucks and Prevost now. Check out at http://www.specmystarter.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Half the weight of a Delco and 3 year 350,000 mile warranty.
Sunchaser Art
Board Member
Board Member
FMCA #: F351294
Bus Model: 1988 Eagle 15

Post by Sunchaser Art »

Scott-

It sounds like you might want to start with a quick voltage check, both static and under load. If you have a low voltage indication without it even cranking, it's probably really tanking when you try and crank the engine.

If it were me, I'd probably check the voltage at the battery connections, and if you have good voltage and minimal drop there, move the leads to the next connection closer to the starter.

Low voltage will tear-up a starter and solenoid. . .the starter problems might just be a symptom of a low voltage problem.

Have fun and let us know what you figure out!

Art
Art Wales
1988 Eagle 15
6V92/740
Riverside County, CA
luvrbus
Club Member
Club Member

Post by luvrbus »

The Delco 39 MT is the same type starter weighs 24 lbs I just checked on Doc's new Prevost with a D13 Volvo engine it has a Delco 39MT with soft start
67eaglenewbie
Bus Model: 1967 Silver Eagle Conversion 01 with a 05 front cap

Post by 67eaglenewbie »

is the starter your talking about clifford

http://www.diesel-machine.com/Delco_Sta ... ARTER.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

John B
luvrbus
Club Member
Club Member

Post by luvrbus »

That it's John not a bad buy with no core a 42 will cost that much to rebuild

good luck
Clifford
Sparky
Club Member
Club Member
FMCA #: 406128
Bus Model: 1988 Eagle 20

Post by Sparky »

Well it turns out that the problem was in the starter it self. I ended up taking it out and running it over to the shop that re built it last. As he put it up on the bench to do a quick test he said " now this is 24 volts right?" I said no this is 12 volts. He replied are you sure and I laughed and said yes why? Well long story short when I brought it in last time for him to rebuild it he just replaced the solinoid with the same 24volt one that was on it. Turns out the first person that rebuilt the starter about a year or so ago must have assumed it was a 24 volt starter and put on a 24 volt solinoid. I didn't think to check before putting it back in the bus and we took off. It only lasted about a year and not many miles. So needless to say the shop that rebuilt it this last time felt really bad that they had put the wrong parts on it so they did not charge me to change it again. He did open up the last 24 volt solinoid that he took off our starter and found that in the short few months that it had been on it had pretty much welded the plunger open. So it was exactly a low voltage situation like you all thought. It was just a wrong part looking for voltage we did not have. With any luck we will be problem fee on our trip to Washington DC in about 3 weeks. And I am not sure of the brand but he did show me one of these starters that are much lighter too. He had one sitting in the shop. I think I will replace it with one of those the next time. Hopefully a long time from now. Thanks again for all of the adivce.

Safe travels

Scott
The Church's
1988 Model 20
6V92 with 5 speed manual