Announcement Block
As of 12/1/2021, a major update of the forum software was accomplished

Update: 3/7/2024: The Eagles email account at GoDaddy no longer works. I have set up a gmail account as a workaround: eaglesinternational.email at gmail.com

Registration is open to the public (*) and free from any cost or obligation. Please allow up to 36 hours for your application to be processed. If you have problems registering, please email me at: eaglesinternational.email at gmail.com
(*) spambots will be deleted -- only legitimate public applications will be processed.

Reminder: the "quick links" menu offers you the best navigation of this forum -- you need to be registered and logged in to see that menu.

Transmission Swap

This is a public forum to discuss Eagle related technical issues. If you are having a problem with your Eagle, this is the place to find help.
travlinman
Bus Model: PD4106

Transmission Swap

Post by travlinman »

Hey Guys,

At the top of my list of Eagles to purchase is a Model 10 with a Series 60 and a 740 Transmission. Would it be possible to swap that 740 for a World or Autoshift transmission ? How much would that set me back to purchase the transmission and have it done? Thanks for your input!

Steve
beltguy
Site Admin
Site Admin
FMCA #: F246286
Bus Model: 1985 Eagle 10 with Series 60 and Eaton AutoShift 10 speed transmission (SOLD)

Re: Transmission Swap

Post by beltguy »

Hi Steve. The World can be made to bolt to the Series 60 with no problem. Making it talk to the Series 60 might be a bit more difficult. I believe that it talks to the engine via SAE J1939 protocol. If that is the case, the Series 60 would need to be a late DDEC III. My DDEC III would not activate the J 1939, and I had to upgrade to a DDEC IV (about $1600). It would also requre an electronic cable that would run to the front.

I am pretty sure the World is shorter than the HT740 by a couple of inches or so, thus length would not be a problem. You would need a new drive shaft, and plumbing to hook to the cooling system (probably not much involved). The transmission hangs off the back of the engine, so there is no mount to make.

Three or four years ago, you could not find used World transmissions. New ones were said to be over $20K. I have heard of folks finding used ones for less than half that.

Getting someone to do the job and buying the transmission would be at least $10K and probably double that.

I am stretching a bit for this answer. Hopefully someone with direct experience will be able to add to, or correct my statements.

Sorry I don't have better news.

PS, at the Eagle Rally in Quartzsite, there should be some folks with better knowledge that do not get involved with Internet forums. If you call me during the rally (1/15-17), I can ask around.

Jim
Jim Shepherd
Evergreen, CO
'85 Eagle 10 with Series 60 & Eaton AutoShift 10 speed transmission SOLD
2005 Dodge 2500 with 5.9 Cummins and 6 speed manual 2022 Sunset 28 foot trailer
Bus Project pages: http://beltguy.com/Bus_Project/busproject.htm
Blog: https://beltguy.com/Travelogue/
Email: eaglesinternational.email at gmail.com   NOTE this email box is only for general correspondence related to the forum and not technical advice.  Technical questions will not receive a response.
Hal
Club Member
Club Member
FMCA #: f128731
Bus Model: 1974 05 Eagle

Post by Hal »

Jim, can't understand why the DDEC III had a problem talking to the world trans, it should have no problem. The Worlds are much easier to make work than the 740's mech transmissions.
As for fitting them to a 10, you may have to do a little work on the left frame as the Worlds are a little wider, but not really much is involved. The wiring is not too difficult but if you can find a complete package you will be MUCH, MUCH happier. Hal
Songman
Club Member
Club Member
FMCA #: F404262
Bus Model: 1993 Silver Eagle Model 15-45

Post by Songman »

I was offered an HD4060 for $8500 with no exchange just a couple of weeks ago. I'm a long way from needing that and can go a long way on my conversion for $8500 but that is a good deal. The HD4060 is the truck version of the bus B500. The biggest difference is the depth of the pan... and some HD4060s have a PTO drive.
Dale Houston
1993 Eagle 15-45
Nashville, TN
Boomer
Club Member
Club Member
FMCA #: F352905
Bus Model: 1981 Eagle M10. Stretched, widened, raised to M15/45 specs. Cummins ISM 450, Allison World transmission. Mid entry door.

Post by Boomer »

Personally I would not advise going with the hydraulic transmission. Yes, the electronic is a lot more money, but I do not believe you will ever be happy with the 740, especially if you ever get to drive a newer coach with the WTEC. I bought my ISM and HD4560 as a mated pair, minus the control harnesses. There were no issues in physically fitting the package into my M10. The biggest issue was obtaining and wiring up the engine/trans. controls. The transmission controls can be obtained from St. Claire Technologies, who I believe still manufacture the harnesses for Allison Transmission. If I remember correctly I paid about 750 for my trans. and shifter harnesses through my local DDA distributor. I let them measure all the break outs and order from St. Claire so I would not get stuck with the cost if I designed the harness incorrectly. Because I did not have a transmission ECU, I had to buy a new one and I had it programmed for the coach application. I now have my own custom ECU program code in the DDA files. It was a lot of money but worth it. Mine drives and shifts just like a brand new Prevost. By the way, the HD4560P that I have, although a "truck" transmission is nearly identical to a B500 in every way. Don't know for sure, but the converter is probably about the only difference. The ratios are the same. Yes, you can make a 740 work with a S60 as Jim says, his information is excellant, as always. But you have to overcome the shift modulation issue. You can partially achieve this with some parts and directions from some of the Allison Watch Bulletins, but you will probably wind up forever shifting the transmission manually to achieve any kind of shift quality at all. Better to invest the $3,500 or so you would pay for a used 740 into the cost of a B500. You will be much happier in the long run. Just my humble opinion based on a few years of experience running both types. Hope this helps.
beltguy
Site Admin
Site Admin
FMCA #: F246286
Bus Model: 1985 Eagle 10 with Series 60 and Eaton AutoShift 10 speed transmission (SOLD)

Post by beltguy »

Hal, I may have made a bad assumption about the World with a DDEC III. My assumption was that they communicated via a J1939 protocol. That is the way my AutoShift communicates with the engine.

My DDEC III ECM did not have the J1939 port acitvate (normal if it is not needed). I took the ECM into the DD dealer and they said no problem to turn it on. They had to contact the main computer at DD home office for them to check the ECM number and send computer "signal" to the local dealer to turn the option on. I watched them try several times, including several calls to the home computer folks and they simply could not get the port activated. I really don't think they were pulling the wool over my eyes.

Everything the techs could read and were told by the home office is that DDEC III should have J1939 capability, but not mine.

I went to the parts department and got a DDEC IV ECM ($$$$$$) and they programmed it with no problem.

BTW, Steve (started this thread) has just purchased a beautiful GM 4106 :(

Jim
Jim Shepherd
Evergreen, CO
'85 Eagle 10 with Series 60 & Eaton AutoShift 10 speed transmission SOLD
2005 Dodge 2500 with 5.9 Cummins and 6 speed manual 2022 Sunset 28 foot trailer
Bus Project pages: http://beltguy.com/Bus_Project/busproject.htm
Blog: https://beltguy.com/Travelogue/
Email: eaglesinternational.email at gmail.com   NOTE this email box is only for general correspondence related to the forum and not technical advice.  Technical questions will not receive a response.
Don Fairchild
FMCA #: F359765
Bus Model: 1995 Gillig Country Coach

Post by Don Fairchild »

Steve.

Dale and I have a 1981 model 10 that we can install a 60s or a 8V71 or 92 and either a HT740, HD4060 or a 9spd autoshift for you.

Don