Announcement Block
As of 12/1/2021, a major update of the forum software was accomplished

Update: 3/7/2024: The Eagles email account at GoDaddy no longer works. I have set up a gmail account as a workaround: eaglesinternational.email at gmail.com

Registration is open to the public (*) and free from any cost or obligation. Please allow up to 36 hours for your application to be processed. If you have problems registering, please email me at: eaglesinternational.email at gmail.com
(*) spambots will be deleted -- only legitimate public applications will be processed.

Reminder: the "quick links" menu offers you the best navigation of this forum -- you need to be registered and logged in to see that menu.

auto shut down question?

This is a public forum to discuss Eagle related technical issues. If you are having a problem with your Eagle, this is the place to find help.
van
Club Member
Club Member

auto shut down question?

Post by van »

Hi all,need a little info regarding the auto shut down system. Is there a way to manually overide the system once activated?,Are all models the same or different?I am a little familiar with the wiring ,just need to know what makes what do what?(makes sense ?) :? and when? thanx
beltguy
Site Admin
Site Admin
FMCA #: F246286
Bus Model: 1985 Eagle 10 with Series 60 and Eaton AutoShift 10 speed transmission (SOLD)

Re: auto shut down question?

Post by beltguy »

Hi Van. We probably need a little more information here.

[b]Update: Oops, I just noted from your signature that you have a MUI engine. However, I will leave the DDEC comments (for reference information for those that have DDEC engines) in place and add a bit more to my MUI comments[/b].

I will assume you are talking about a DDEC engine. If that is the case, we can talk about the engine shut down scheme in general. Each DDEC version has some slight differences, but if it is a DDEC III or higher, they are mostly the same.

The DDEC has several sensors that can either shut the engine down or de-rate the engine. Obviously, over temp (high limit) and oil pressure will cause both engine check and engine shut down lights to come on and will shut the engine down. Sensors like low coolant will cause the engine the engine check light to come on and may be programmed to show the engine stop light, but I don't think it will shut the engine down.

In the case of engine temperature, I think most DDECs are programmed to de-rate the engine if the temperature is not at the limit, but is over the low limit.

As far as I know, all DDEC engines should have an "override" push switch that will allow you to get to the side of the road. You have to hold the switch down to keep the engine running.

Some of the engine shut down parameters can be programmed, but most can not.

We can give you a more detailed answer if you give us the specific issue you are concerned about and the DDEC version you have.

For a mechanical engine, I believe that the two sensors that shut the engine down ar water temp and oil pressure. I don't know of any way to override the shut off switches other than to put a switch in the circuit and that would not be a good thing to do. That protection is there for a reason. As you know two strokes will crack a head at the drop of a hat and you want your engine to shut down before that happens.

I am not an expert on MUI engines (or anything for that matter :D ), so I expect you will get a better answer from someone else.

Jim
Jim Shepherd
Evergreen, CO
'85 Eagle 10 with Series 60 & Eaton AutoShift 10 speed transmission SOLD
2005 Dodge 2500 with 5.9 Cummins and 6 speed manual 2022 Sunset 28 foot trailer
Bus Project pages: http://beltguy.com/Bus_Project/busproject.htm
Blog: https://beltguy.com/Travelogue/
Email: eaglesinternational.email at gmail.com   NOTE this email box is only for general correspondence related to the forum and not technical advice.  Technical questions will not receive a response.
luvrbus
Club Member
Club Member
FMCA #: F262917
Bus Model: 05

Post by luvrbus »

Van, not all have the shut down for oil and water just the lights for warning looking at yours it doesn't have the shut down only the warning.Look in the DD manual for shut down systems wiring and I have the wiring diagrams in the model 15 manuals I have for the s60,6v92 and the 8v92 Good luck

Clifford
Songman
Club Member
Club Member
FMCA #: F404262
Bus Model: 1993 Silver Eagle Model 15-45

Post by Songman »

I don't know about an auto shut down for oil and water, but mine has an auto shut down if it gets too low on fuel. :lol:
Dale Houston
1993 Eagle 15-45
Nashville, TN
luvrbus
Club Member
Club Member
FMCA #: F262917
Bus Model: 05

Post by luvrbus »

Dale, that is one feature they all have came standard from the factory Good Luck
Clifford
van
Club Member
Club Member

Post by van »

Thanks guys,I would have looked myself ,but :cry: thanks (clifford :) for checkin fer me :) .so the wires coming from the sender(will try to include picture)will only activate the dash warning light ;)?

This picture taken after the bus made it home(late june08)

This shows how the wires were cut . any ideas as to why that would have been done? doesn't make sende to me why it would be disconnected just to keep the high temp light from illuminating (had bad radiator) :? Is there a relay that would trigger the shut down skinner valve? :?