Announcement Block
As of 12/1/2021, a major update of the forum software was accomplished

Update: 3/7/2024: The Eagles email account at GoDaddy no longer works. I have set up a gmail account as a workaround: eaglesinternational.email at gmail.com

Registration is open to the public (*) and free from any cost or obligation. Please allow up to 36 hours for your application to be processed. If you have problems registering, please email me at: eaglesinternational.email at gmail.com
(*) spambots will be deleted -- only legitimate public applications will be processed.

Reminder: the "quick links" menu offers you the best navigation of this forum -- you need to be registered and logged in to see that menu.

Rear Axle Brake Shoes

This is a public forum to discuss Eagle related technical issues. If you are having a problem with your Eagle, this is the place to find help.
Dreamscape
FMCA #: F391238
Bus Model: 1968 Silver Eagle Model 01

Rear Axle Brake Shoes

Post by Dreamscape »

Hi Guys,

Where is the best supplier you have found for brake shoes? Also are there any particular types that work the best to stop these bohemoths!

I checked our beloved Silver Eagle site and didn't find anything, suppose I should call and talk with Dan, but it's before they open there doors. Maybe they have a weekly special! ;)

I assume that on the 01 the shoe is the same size as the 05 because that's the only maintenance manual I have to compare to. Seems 01 manuals are unobtainium.

I need to start saving now and do the research on what works best!

Thanks a bunch!
Paul Lawry
Dreamscape
1968 Eagle 01 #7443
Silver 8V92 HT 740

Dreamscape Build Blog: https://dreamscapesilvereagle.wordpress.com/
luvrbus
Club Member
Club Member
FMCA #: F262917
Bus Model: 05

Re: Rear Axle Brake Shoes

Post by luvrbus »

Paul, not trying to cost Dan a sale but save you money the guys over in Odessa can reline you shoes may sure you get bus lining they are different from trucks good luck
Dreamscape
FMCA #: F391238
Bus Model: 1968 Silver Eagle Model 01

Post by Dreamscape »

Are ths linings welded? I thought they were a bolt on type. Gosh I sure wish I had the knowledge you guys have. Sheeesh!

In doing research I see truck and transit but only bus they refer to is a school bus. Nothing so far in even commercial coaches.

I'll call and see what I can find out. Maybe even a shop here in little Abilene that does it, dunno.
Paul Lawry
Dreamscape
1968 Eagle 01 #7443
Silver 8V92 HT 740

Dreamscape Build Blog: https://dreamscapesilvereagle.wordpress.com/
beltguy
Site Admin
Site Admin
FMCA #: F246286
Bus Model: 1985 Eagle 10 with Series 60 and Eaton AutoShift 10 speed transmission (SOLD)

Post by beltguy »

Paul, there are several different levels of brake lining hardness (more complex than just hardness). I got in a hurry to get some for my drive axle (oil on linings) and bought some from the local truck part vendor (they do a ton of class 8 truck linings). What a mistake. The brakes squeal like crazy and I don't think that they stop all that well.

My understanding is that Eagle used a quite "soft" lining. I think that Jefferson Bus carries the linings. I hope Dan lets us know about Silver Eagle.

Clifford, after my experience, I think I would want to get the linings from someone who knows and can replicate what Eagle used.

Even thought mine have very low mileage, I hope to change them out this winter (if nothing else to get rid of the squeal).

I am quite sure that these size brakes are not bonded. Everything I see is riveted.

Jim
Jim Shepherd
Evergreen, CO
'85 Eagle 10 with Series 60 & Eaton AutoShift 10 speed transmission SOLD
2005 Dodge 2500 with 5.9 Cummins and 6 speed manual 2022 Sunset 28 foot trailer
Bus Project pages: http://beltguy.com/Bus_Project/busproject.htm
Blog: https://beltguy.com/Travelogue/
Email: eaglesinternational.email at gmail.com   NOTE this email box is only for general correspondence related to the forum and not technical advice.  Technical questions will not receive a response.
luvrbus
Club Member
Club Member

Post by luvrbus »

Jim, that is point i was trying to make to Paul, there is a difference in truck and bus lining all coaches use the soft lining not just Eagle, one the largest brake and brake parts shops in the USA is located in Odessa TX on 2nd street.Another thought for Paul if he needs drums is go ahead and up grade to the wide brakes.I did a few years back and a world of difference in stopping the beast the 01 and 05 are not knowed for great brakes good luck
beltguy
Site Admin
Site Admin
FMCA #: F246286
Bus Model: 1985 Eagle 10 with Series 60 and Eaton AutoShift 10 speed transmission (SOLD)

Post by beltguy »

Hi Clifford. Apparently I have confused folks. I guess what I was trying to say is that they need to be very careful WHO they use to re-do their shoes.

In Denver, Drive Train Industries is HUGE. I have to believe they do bus shoes as well as truck shoes. However, they did not seem to have a clue.

The other issue I am concerned about is what level of shoe one asks for. For example, if you go to the Meritor website (http://www.meritorhvs.com/Product.aspx? ... nav_str=na), you will see about a dozen options. Which one is the best for an Eagle? None of the descriptions say that they are for buses (some say school bus).

My view of the typical brake shoe provider is that they would not have a clue which is best for our application.

There are some parts for Eagles that probably need to be a pretty close replacement for the original. An example would be shocks. The front shocks are specailly valved for the original application. I would include brakes in that category.

I can only hope that Dan jumps on here and gives us some guidance.

When you mention wider drums, for some reason, I thought only the 01 Eagles had an issue. You have included 05s. Is that universal, or just some models? Since you did not mention 10s or other models, I assume there is not a wider option for us.

Jim
Jim Shepherd
Evergreen, CO
'85 Eagle 10 with Series 60 & Eaton AutoShift 10 speed transmission SOLD
2005 Dodge 2500 with 5.9 Cummins and 6 speed manual 2022 Sunset 28 foot trailer
Bus Project pages: http://beltguy.com/Bus_Project/busproject.htm
Blog: https://beltguy.com/Travelogue/
Email: eaglesinternational.email at gmail.com   NOTE this email box is only for general correspondence related to the forum and not technical advice.  Technical questions will not receive a response.
luvrbus
Club Member
Club Member

Post by luvrbus »

Jim, your bus being a Houston Metro it may already have the wide drums mine were 5 inch on the front and 8 in on the rear and I am thinking they 4 inch on the boggie that maybe a little off but I have 10in on the rears and 6in on the steer and bogie now Dick Kaiser did the upgrade for me in Eugene Or. Southern OR Diesel did one on the 37 ft model 05 for the doctor and charged him 9 grand and his bus did not have a bogie mine was about 6gs with other work like a front end rebuild

Clifford