Announcement Block
As of 12/1/2021, a major update of the forum software was accomplished

Update: 3/7/2024: The Eagles email account at GoDaddy no longer works. I have set up a gmail account as a workaround: eaglesinternational.email at gmail.com

Registration is open to the public (*) and free from any cost or obligation. Please allow up to 36 hours for your application to be processed. If you have problems registering, please email me at: eaglesinternational.email at gmail.com
(*) spambots will be deleted -- only legitimate public applications will be processed.

Reminder: the "quick links" menu offers you the best navigation of this forum -- you need to be registered and logged in to see that menu.

Devil's Backbone... can Poop Chute be nearby?

This is the place to tell about all the cool places your Eagle takes you. Hopefully there will be lots of great pictures that will help us all plan future trips.
TexasBorderDude
Club Member
Club Member
FMCA #: new
Bus Model: 1978 Eagle 05

Devil's Backbone... can Poop Chute be nearby?

Post by TexasBorderDude »

Yep! That's right 14% Grade!!!! Just traveled the Devil's Backbone (Rte 12) in Utah on the way to Bryce Canyon. What a day! Only about 120 miles today, but what a workout! I stopped at the summit (9,300 feet) and started the gen set and air compressor; blew out the air filter...(I'd just cleaned it 3 weeks ago) and none too soon... encountered the 14% grade and powered up at full throttle 1600 rpm and 4 (that's f-o-u-r) mph. Didn't overheat and my ole 8V71N could've done it all day... but I couldn't have!
Dreamscape
FMCA #: F391238
Bus Model: 1968 Silver Eagle Model 01

Re: Devil's Backbone... can Poop Chute be nearby?

Post by Dreamscape »

Those 8v71's are a good engine! Glad you stopped to take a breather, looks like a white knuckle drive or pucker factor to me at 14%!

Be safe, BTW a great picture and you're pulling the trailer to boot! How much does it weigh?

Thanks for the report Doyle!
Paul Lawry
Dreamscape
1968 Eagle 01 #7443
Silver 8V92 HT 740

Dreamscape Build Blog: https://dreamscapesilvereagle.wordpress.com/
luvrbus
Club Member
Club Member
FMCA #: F262917
Bus Model: 05

Post by luvrbus »

Doyle that is not bad being as heavy as you are (the bus).Now tell us about the trip down that grade we been there LOL

Clifford
TexasBorderDude
Club Member
Club Member

Clifford, as you noted I've got GREAT BRAKES! and I needed every bit of them. I left it in 2nd and when the rpm;s got to 2300 or so I braked hard for a short spell. I used max trailer brakes (which I usually don't) and she just came on down just fine. At the bottom of one stretch I checked temps and one drum was over 400 degrees. Yeah, the pucker factor was right up there on that first hill. When I stopped at the top and took that picture of the bus and the sign, I thought..."what the hell have I done now????"

dg
luvrbus
Club Member
Club Member
FMCA #: F262917
Bus Model: 05

Post by luvrbus »

Doyle, bet Coffee slept through the deal LOL you might stop at Smiths DD in Boise and have your Jake's fixed and save those great brakes you have because you still have some good grades ahead of you. good luck and drive safe my friend.

Clifford
Dreamscape

Post by Dreamscape »

Hey Doyle, Did you have to take any meds after you hit the bottom, liquid or otherwise? I'll be that was a joy ride to forget! :shock:

Where are you headead?
Paul Lawry
Dreamscape
1968 Eagle 01 #7443
Silver 8V92 HT 740

TexasBorderDude
Club Member
Club Member

Clifford, if she slept through it, you couldn't tell it by me! Coffee, who's Coffee??? I'm too damn busy!

Paul, Salt Lake, Boise then over to Oregon. Finally getting a break from the heat, although Zion was in the 90's... I know; you don't want to hear it! That's cool relative to lots of you!

dg
Dreamscape

Post by Dreamscape »

Where in Oregon? We have a member that lives in Canby, just outside of Woodburn between Portland and Salem off I-5, Two Eagles, Ray Sell. Another busnut friend of mine lives in Vancouver WA, Doug1968 on the BCM Board. And I'm sure there are a bunch more.
Paul Lawry
Dreamscape
1968 Eagle 01 #7443
Silver 8V92 HT 740

MrBreeze
Club Member
Club Member

Post by MrBreeze »

I Have A Question For You....How Is Towing A Trailer With Your Eagle.??.I Want To Also Tow A Trailer Like Yours.I Have A Couple Hot Rods And Heavy Tools And Stuff Like That.

It Would Seem That The Rear Would Hang Down A Lot With A Heavy Trailer.??.Every EAGLE I Have Seen Hangs A Little At The Rear.
Is This A Problem.?

I Have Been Told...NO PROBLEM.You Wont Even Know Your Pulling A Trailer.(Piece A Cake)

Any Comments Would Be Great.

Thanks.
10-4
JOHN 8-)
John & Stephanie
1972 Silver Eagle 05 8V71 4 Speed Man.(TRAILWAYS)
1984 Eagle 10 45 Foot... 60 Series / B500