Announcement Block
As of 12/1/2021, a major update of the forum software was accomplished

Update: 3/7/2024: The Eagles email account at GoDaddy no longer works. I have set up a gmail account as a workaround: eaglesinternational.email at gmail.com

Registration is open to the public (*) and free from any cost or obligation. Please allow up to 36 hours for your application to be processed. If you have problems registering, please email me at: eaglesinternational.email at gmail.com
(*) spambots will be deleted -- only legitimate public applications will be processed.

Reminder: the "quick links" menu offers you the best navigation of this forum -- you need to be registered and logged in to see that menu.

Fly Away

This is the place to tell about all the cool places your Eagle takes you. Hopefully there will be lots of great pictures that will help us all plan future trips.
BoxcarOkie

Fly Away

Post by BoxcarOkie »

I am looking at the Harvest Bus string and it has my juices flowing, I want to get out on the road and fly! I want to be westbound and down, six on the floor, the other foot out the door, in the smart aleck lane, styling down the boulevard.

Before gainful employment corrupted my life, I used to delight in long solo drives back to the Midwest to check up on the Rust Belt of America. Now I find that I am relegated to writing letters to the editor, to have them edited for content, brevity and perhaps, temporary insanity.

Reading E-mails from AT&T that state: “Your telephone bill is ready; please check online at ……. “ as if I was anxiously expecting that and/or waiting in great anticipation for it.

Or …. “In order to register your new domain name, it will be necessary for YOU to provide US with this, and that, yadda-yadda, blah-blah.’

Check please!

What do you do when the dream comes around, and offers your heart a chance to move on. With no guarantees or no safety net. Trust what you feel to take that first step. Just close your eyes, and reach for the moment … Before it slips by.

Here is your second chance … Take it and fly.

The air is thin tonight, so thin that it carries a train whistle on the night air, some six miles here to the house. I can hear a local freight pulling the hill at Crossroads, threading its way thru town; her moaning whistle is cutting the night wind much like a sharp knife. Her lonely cry fills my night, as if she were here with me in my very own backyard.

Such a mournful sound, and for a moment, I wonder who it is that is riding this rattler, where are they headed. But those thoughts quickly pass, like a thief in the night, I am left again to my vices. To hold onto my distant dream. Watch it form shape and then take wings. Been awhile since I have had a rush, felt something different and unique. I feel a need to relax, take a breath, mellow out, learn how to not major in minor things.

The quiet time of the morning, and everyone is asleep in their beds. Tucked away, safe, insulated from the cool night air. A time for reflection, deep inner thoughts, of the things that could have been. Here I sit. Thinking about High Dollar buses and a full tank of fuel, of getting away to the great American Highway.

Living my life in quiet desperation in the wee hours of the night. Silently yearning for the smell of fresh diesel in the morning, vividly recalling screaming down some two-lane with the window down, the whine of the rubber meeting the asphalt in the corridors of my mind.

Hangin’ onto the premise of the “Good Old Days.”

That time, when youth and inexperience was not an issue, I had plenty of time on my hands, a big slurpy in the drink holder next to my seat, ample supplies of change in my pocket for fuel. A new road ahead of me.

As reality slowly creeps back in, I find myself secretly dreaming of one of those “good jobs.” Where you drive a $1.8 Million motor home and deliver it to the customer and get paid for doing it. Where you make a goodly amount of money and don’t have to do a lot of work. Quick stepping down some two-lane in Florida in the wintertime.

Oh well, Ceste Le’ Vive as the Canadians would say (Such Is Life). Some men Dream … Some men Plan …. And then God smiles. La Vita Loca as they say south of the border (This Crazy Life).

The weight of the world, the need to survive, has made me believe that I have no rights. Out of the blue, I need someone to offer me a place of refuge. As warm as the sun … Just close your eyes and reach for the moment … Before it slips by.

Here is your second chance …. Take it and fly.

Good-Gosh, I want to run away! Where is the chocolate milk and the cookies please, placate my spirit, I am drowning here and I don’t know what to do. Take me away to the beach, where I meet beautiful people, who appreciate me and respect me for my feelings. A place noticeably void of barking dogs. Sirens. Road Rage, where folks genuinely smile, who wave at you with all of their fingers …

Sometimes, during the middle of the day, I would be allowed to lie down for a nap, for no apparent reason. Or perhaps sneak down to the local watering hole for a much needed, albeit ill advised Margarita. Some conversation with a beautiful, well tanned, interesting woman, walk barefooted in the sand.

So long from America’s Heartland, Oklahoma, where the Twisters make lazy circles in the sky, and the wind lifts up red dust to get in your eye, a slow paced sort of place where we don’t drive on the shoulders and do our best to follow the right path.

Now that was refreshing …. There is Thirty-one minutes of my life, I will never get back.

Harvester, come on by and pick me up, I am ready to go!

Life Is Short … Enjoy The Ride.

BCO
No I didn't say that ... Must have been some other guy.
ldsrr91@gmail.com
http://boxcarokie.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://boxcarokie.com/eagle-bus-life/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://boxcarokie.com/eagle-bus-photos/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Harvester
Bus Model: 1990 Eagle Model 15

Re: Fly Away

Post by Harvester »

B C O, we would love to have you ride with us. You could just sit and Quote your musings and we would love it.
We will be in Md., Pa., Del. and Va. this weekend.
Would it be out of the way for us to pick you up on the way?
The Best to you and yours,
Jim