Announcement Block
As of 12/1/2021, a major update of the forum software was accomplished

Update: 3/7/2024: The Eagles email account at GoDaddy no longer works. I have set up a gmail account as a workaround: eaglesinternational.email at gmail.com

Registration is open to the public (*) and free from any cost or obligation. Please allow up to 36 hours for your application to be processed. If you have problems registering, please email me at: eaglesinternational.email at gmail.com
(*) spambots will be deleted -- only legitimate public applications will be processed.

Reminder: the "quick links" menu offers you the best navigation of this forum -- you need to be registered and logged in to see that menu.

I guess I got off lucky on my titling and registration

This is the place to tell about all the cool places your Eagle takes you. Hopefully there will be lots of great pictures that will help us all plan future trips.
JimGnitecki
Club Member
Club Member
FMCA #: 407798
Bus Model: 1979 Eagle Model 5

I guess I got off lucky on my titling and registration

Post by JimGnitecki »

I guess I got off lucky.

I bought my Eagle in Florida last month, paid the sales tax to the dealer there after he assured me that Texas and Florida had reciprocity and would not try to hit me for the sales tax again, paid around $10 for a 30 day "in transit" permit, and drove the bus home almost uneventfully (almost . . . that's another thread :D ).

Once back at home in Texas, I called the local county tax assessor's office (they handle titling, registration, and sales tax on vehicles here in Texas). I asked specifically what I needed to bring in. The clerk said:
- The existing out-of-state title document
- Proof of a TEXAS safety inspection (not a Florida one, no matter how good it was)
- Proof of isurance
- Check book (how much? Depends sir, on a number of things . . . )

So, I went and got a Texas safety inspection. Miraculously, everything that had worked in Florida continued to do so. I thought I was all set.

I carefully scouted the tax assessor's office parking lot, and determined IN ADVANCE that if I had been stupid enough to enter it without the scouting, I would likely never have returned from its tight confines and multiple grass islands, none of which was designed to accept 40 foot vehicles with marginal rearward vision. I parked on the street.

I entered, introduced myself, and prayed.

Things went fairly swimmingly until the clerk asked me for proof of the weight of the bus. I politely mentioned that that requirement appeared to have been overlooked by the clerk on the phone. If she HAD mentioned it, I would have brought it, since I DID have it weighed on a certified CAT scale on the trip home from Florida. This in-person clark said that it was unfortunate I had not been told to bring the weight slip in, as the weight was needed since Texas registration fees are based upon vehicle weight! I was about to resignedly drive the bus home and back again to the assessor's office, when it occurred to me to ask: WHICH weight was needed: actual or GVWR. She said GVWR (since they don't care what a dump truck for example weighs EMPTY, they want the potential MAXIMUM weight.

That's when I said, no problemo! I happen to have the GVWR metal tag for the bus in its dash glove compartment, since it had been detached from a wall during the conversion of the bus and had not ever been reinstalled. She said "Great!".

Things went swimmingly again for a couple of minutes, until we got to the personalized license plate part of the procedure. I am not vain, but I simply have trouble remembering my license plate number, so I wanted something I could remember. She said "Fire away with your preferred ones, and I can tell you right now which ones are taken and which one are not, as our system is live and realtime."

Well, after we determined that all "the good ones" like Eagle1, Eagle3, Eagle5, etc were all taken, and after she re-emphasized that a TOTAL of 6 characters (including any speaces) were the maximum, I had to settle for something far less lofty and romantic than "Eagle1", namely "JimBus". And, they even produced the plate as "JIMBUS", since the legacy computer system used by the clerk does NOT recognize upper versus lower case fonts. Sigh . . .

Well, she added up all the charges for titling, registration, and customized license plate, and it came to something over $300! She DID assure me that "next year" and every year after, it would be "only" about $250 since the titling and personalized plate charges would not repeat.

So, like I said, I think I got off lucky.
Jim Gnitecki
("Jim G")
JimGnitecki@gmail.com
1979 Eagle Model 05 reborn around 1997
BoxcarOkie

Re: I guess I got off lucky on my titling and registration

Post by BoxcarOkie »

You did just fine, trust me, when I went to tag mine, I almost had a nervous break down before it was all through.

My tag (Oklahoma) is $90 per year as I understand it, now stop and consider, this is a 26 year old coach. Kind of ridiculous huh?

BCO
No I didn't say that ... Must have been some other guy.
ldsrr91@gmail.com
http://boxcarokie.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://boxcarokie.com/eagle-bus-life/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://boxcarokie.com/eagle-bus-photos/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Dreamscape
FMCA #: F391238
Bus Model: 1968 Silver Eagle Model 01

Post by Dreamscape »

Ours is even more rediculous in little ole Abilene TX, 240 bucks a year for a 40 year old Eagle! :x Plus yearly 14.50 for the inspection sticker.

So quit complaining!!!!! ;)

Oh well, I'm always happy it passes!

Paul
Paul Lawry
Dreamscape
1968 Eagle 01 #7443
Silver 8V92 HT 740

Dreamscape Build Blog: https://dreamscapesilvereagle.wordpress.com/
Songman
Club Member
Club Member
FMCA #: F404262
Bus Model: 1993 Silver Eagle Model 15-45

Post by Songman »

I just got the registration renewal on the 20 the other day. $101 per year in crazy Kalifornia so it wasn't so bad. Would probably be a lot less in TN.
Dale Houston
1993 Eagle 15-45
Nashville, TN
BoxcarOkie

Post by BoxcarOkie »

I like it here ... I like it here ... I like it here ... I like it here ... I like it here ... I like it here ... I like it here ... I like it here ... I like it here ... I like it here ... I like it here ... I like it here ... I like it here ... I like it here ... I like it here ... I like it here ... I like it here ... I was not complaining, I was "commenting."

You get your wireless situation solved?

BCO
No I didn't say that ... Must have been some other guy.
ldsrr91@gmail.com
http://boxcarokie.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://boxcarokie.com/eagle-bus-life/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://boxcarokie.com/eagle-bus-photos/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Dreamscape
FMCA #: F391238
Bus Model: 1968 Silver Eagle Model 01

Post by Dreamscape »

I was making a funny!!!!!!!! That's why I put a wink there. ;) ;) ;)

Are we having fun yet?

Paul
Paul Lawry
Dreamscape
1968 Eagle 01 #7443
Silver 8V92 HT 740

Dreamscape Build Blog: https://dreamscapesilvereagle.wordpress.com/
JimGnitecki
Club Member
Club Member
FMCA #: 407798
Bus Model: 1979 Eagle Model 5

Post by JimGnitecki »

As I said recently in another thread on this forum:

"Never get on a bus without a lot of cash or a credit card with a generous credit limit in your wallet".

Car and pickup components, and registration fees, are geared towards "consumers".

Bus components and registration fees, on the other hand, seem geared towards the "commercial" market, where estimates generally involve 3 zeros after the number versus 1 or 2. :)
Jim Gnitecki
("Jim G")
JimGnitecki@gmail.com
1979 Eagle Model 05 reborn around 1997
MrBreeze
Club Member
Club Member

Post by MrBreeze »

Yea,This Also Has Me Worried.I Have Not Transfered My Eagles Title Into My Name Yet.I Asked The Guy I Bought The Bus From Not To Put Any Info On The Title.I SAID...Just Sign It.!!
Well He Filled The Whole Title Out....EVERYTHING.!!.Even The Purchace Price. OUCH.!! 30 Big Ones..OUCH.So,I Guess I Will Have To Pay Through The U Know What When Its Time To Get It Done.I Am Also Going To Get Screwed On The Date.Date Of Sale.
There Is A Law On This.You Have To Pay A Fine For Being Late.

YES...This Will Brake The BANK. IM SURE.!!

10-4 JOHN 8-)
John & Stephanie
1972 Silver Eagle 05 8V71 4 Speed Man.(TRAILWAYS)
1984 Eagle 10 45 Foot... 60 Series / B500
Songman
Club Member
Club Member
FMCA #: F404262
Bus Model: 1993 Silver Eagle Model 15-45

Post by Songman »

I found a receipt from the guy I bought the Model 20 from. He paid just over $4000 to change the bus from commercial to private. I think the first time is always the worst. I was glad mine was already done!
Dale Houston
1993 Eagle 15-45
Nashville, TN
luvrbus
Club Member
Club Member
FMCA #: F262917
Bus Model: 05

Post by luvrbus »

Less than 70 dollars here for first time title transfer with 2 year plates after that 55.00 every 2 years,no smog tests,no safety inspection or proof of insurance.

Clifford