Announcement Block
As of 12/1/2021, a major update of the forum software was accomplished

Update: 3/7/2024: The Eagles email account at GoDaddy no longer works. I have set up a gmail account as a workaround: eaglesinternational.email at gmail.com

Registration is open to the public (*) and free from any cost or obligation. Please allow up to 36 hours for your application to be processed. If you have problems registering, please email me at: eaglesinternational.email at gmail.com
(*) spambots will be deleted -- only legitimate public applications will be processed.

Reminder: the "quick links" menu offers you the best navigation of this forum -- you need to be registered and logged in to see that menu.

Alaska by Gary Throneberry and Wayne Schell

This is the place to tell about all the cool places your Eagle takes you. Hopefully there will be lots of great pictures that will help us all plan future trips.
rusty
FMCA #: F341087
Bus Model: 1972 05 completed 2003
1994 15/45 in progress

Re: Alaska by Gary Throneberry and Wayne Schell

Post by rusty »

Well I got a better connection to the internet today so I think I will be able to post a little easier. That doesn't mean I will post more only easier.On saturday I took the flight of a life time. We were in Telkeetna and that is the closest airport to Mount Mckinnely. I took a flight that flew around the mountain and then landed on a glacier. What a ride. We flew through notches and passes on the mountain that were breath taking in more ways than one. At times the mountain were it seemed only a few feet from the end of the wings. It was very interesting to see the two tectonic plates in action. I can't remember which is which but the different colors of rock are the two different plates. The glacier we landed on was 45 mile long. It was interesting to see all the different shape and the blue water in the pools. If you ever have a chance to take the flight don't pass it up.
DSC_0630.JPG
DSC_0639.JPG
DSC_0606.JPG
DSC_0594.JPG
DSC_0589.JPG
rusty
1994 15/45 in progress

Post by rusty »

Some more pictures. It turned out the Dave and Carol were on the glacier at the same time I was. They are in the white plane.
DSC_0670.JPG
DSC_0654.JPG
DSC_0668.JPG
DSC_0665.JPG
DSC_0655.JPG
DSC_0646.JPG
rusty
1994 15/45 in progress

Post by rusty »

Monday we were at a restaurant getting breakfast and talking about leaving Talkeetna for Anchorage And the waitress said the road was closed. Her boy friend was a fire fighter and was texting her about the sockeye fire. We decided to pickup and go down the road a bit and wait it out. We found a turn out and got out our lawn chairs and waited. After a half an hour the waitress texted Becky and said the road was open with a pilot car taking traffic one way at a time. We packed up and away we went. Got through fine. There was a lot of smoke. Got to Anchorage and I decided to wash the bus. When we got back in the refrigerator was beeping. Seems I got some water on the high temp safety switch and shorted it out. No Ref. Well We unloaded it to the freezer we have in the bay and said what now. After some searching I found a way to bypass the switch and we had a refer again without protection from a fire. I started calling RV dealers for a new switch and ran across Karens RV. They said bring it in and they would try to help. When I got there I was about third in line. I said to myself this will take all day. The manager came out and said the same thing happen to an RV the day before and he would look at it. Next thing I know he said all is well and could go on my way. He knew how to reset it. Don't Get water on the back side of a Norcold refer. If you are in Anchorage and need help see Karen's RV they are very nice people.
DSC_0687.JPG
DSC_0681.JPG
rusty
1994 15/45 in progress

Post by rusty »

Went on a train ride out of Anchorage to Grandview today. ( on the way to Seward ) Some of the most beautiful scenery we have seen so far.
DSC_0738.JPG
DSC_0733.JPG
DSC_0727.JPG
DSC_0720.JPG
rusty
1994 15/45 in progress

Post by rusty »

more
DSC_0830.JPG
DSC_0787.JPG
DSC_0774.JPG
DSC_0766.JPG
Liberty
Board Member
Board Member
FMCA #: F415412
Bus Model: 1967 Silver Eagle 01 #7211

Post by Liberty »

Well I am glad you are having a great time. I know know why you would not answer your phone when I call you while we were in AK. I am not built rugged enough to live up there. They do not have enough cell service to support both of us at the same time. We also took the train from Anchorage to Seward but we caught a ship and cruised to Vancouver then flew back via Denver to Wichita. Welcome to the oven. Good to be warm again. Stay safe
LeRoy
rusty
1994 15/45 in progress

Post by rusty »

Sorry I missed you call LeRoy. The office sent me a new phone and it does not work. Something about trying to update on roam. Some how I am getting use to not having the phone and I like it. I am a little different I like the cooler weather. Well off to find a boat and do some fishing.

Wayne
ericbsc
FMCA #: 12345678
Bus Model: 1973 Eagle 05

Post by ericbsc »

Karen said the pics were beautiful, but she really wants to see a CLOSE-UP of that Dirty white bus!!LOL
Eric Brown
Spartanburg, SC
1973 05
Series 60 allison 4000MHP
rusty
1994 15/45 in progress

Post by rusty »

No can do. We hit a road that just rotomilled the asphalt and I have enough asphalt/tar on the bus and jeep it will take a month to get it off. We went halibut fishing today when I get my strength back I will post some pictures of the wildlife that was a bonus.

Wayne
rusty
1994 15/45 in progress

Post by rusty »

We are in Homer. We parked out on the spit. Maybe someone can tell me why they call it that but none the less it is a beautiful place to park. You are parked so that through the front window you see the Cook inlet and in the distance is the Kenai mountains with a beautiful glacier. It doesn't get a lot better than this. We went Halibut fishing and are going again tomorrow along with some Salmon fishing. When we were out fishing we seen Sea otters and Orcia and Humpback whales . Hope we well see more tomorrow.We were in Homer on the longest day of the year, It never gets dark, It is a little different getting up at midnight and it is still light out. I do not have a very strong signal and it is hard to download pictures. You might have to wait a few days for that.

Wayne