Announcement Block
As of 12/1/2021, a major update of the forum software was accomplished

Update: 3/7/2024: The Eagles email account at GoDaddy no longer works. I have set up a gmail account as a workaround: eaglesinternational.email at gmail.com

Registration is open to the public (*) and free from any cost or obligation. Please allow up to 36 hours for your application to be processed. If you have problems registering, please email me at: eaglesinternational.email at gmail.com
(*) spambots will be deleted -- only legitimate public applications will be processed.

Reminder: the "quick links" menu offers you the best navigation of this forum -- you need to be registered and logged in to see that menu.

Alaska by Gary Throneberry and Wayne Schell

This is the place to tell about all the cool places your Eagle takes you. Hopefully there will be lots of great pictures that will help us all plan future trips.
rusty
FMCA #: F341087
Bus Model: 1972 05 completed 2003
1994 15/45 in progress

Alaska by Gary Throneberry and Wayne Schell

Post by rusty »

This started about 2 years ago at Arcadia at a table of folks that started talking about a trip to Alaska. I have always wanted to go so I said I would go. The only thing is everyone else wanted to go the following year and I was the only one still working. The conversion continued at other rallies and through phone calls. The group begin to thin out until it was Lin and Me, Gary and Gloria, and Tony and Becky. The other two couples postponed their plans so I could get retired and the date of May 2015 was set. At Gary's rally in Shelbyville Dave and Carol Lange got interested in going with us. They sold their flex and bought a motor home and joined the trip. The motorhome is not at all as nice as their flex but I guess that will work. We talked at other rallies and made plans. The only plan is there is no plan. We will do what ever we feel like doing. If some wants to go their own way that is great and we will met up in a few days. Many thanks to all that have given us advise about where to go and what to see. We realize there is no way to see it all but we will give it one hell-of-a-try. A special thanks to Howard Best as he was one of those at that table in Arcadia and has been to Alaska several times and shared his travel logs with us. Gary and Tony and the girls left home a couple of days ago and Lin and I left today. We will meet in Great Falls Montana on Wednesday the 27th and the fun will begin. Gary and I will try and post to this topic from time to time and let you know how things are going.

Wayne
gpzzdrm
Club Member
Club Member
FMCA #: F251204
Bus Model: 1978 - 05 / Cummins ISM 450 / Allison HT740

Re: Alaska by Gary Throneberry and Wayne Schell

Post by gpzzdrm »

This is going to be great, a really good way to use our forum. We will all be looking forward to your updates as the trip unfolds. Enjoy, and be safe.

Bill
1978 05 Eagle with 450HP Cummins ISM / Allison HT740
Started in 1996 and still an in-progress hobby.
Jim H
Board Member
Board Member
FMCA #: F407926
Bus Model: 1966 Silver Eagle 01,8v92TA,HT740, Southwestern Coach Conversion
1989 Eagle Model 15

Post by Jim H »

Have an awesome trip!!
Jim & Denise
"Casper" Eagle 01 1966
"Eagle 2" Model 15 1989
garhawk
Club Member
Club Member
Bus Model: 1989 Eagle 20 NJT

Post by garhawk »

Hi all,

Tony, Becky, Gloria and I left Tennessee May 20. Tony in his 45 Prevost. Gloria and I in our '89 Eagle 20. Dave and Carol Lang had left S. Carolina about two weeks prior for Jellystone park and some other national interests in their brand new Tiffin diesel pusher of 29 feet.

Fast forward to May 26. Tony and I are in Great Falls, Mt., Dave is 30 miles south, and Wayne is lost somewhere out in the western parts of the state. We are all talking via cell and should begin converging today and tomorrow for our full assault on Alaska! Stay tuned, I've a feeling this could get exciting.

Gary
luvrbus
Club Member
Club Member
FMCA #: F262917
Bus Model: 05

Post by luvrbus »

Enjoy 8 of us did the trip in 92 and rode the ferry coming back a trip of a lifetime for us,71 days and we didn't see all we had planned on seeing
rusty
1994 15/45 in progress

Post by rusty »

Well I found my way to Cutbank Mt. Everyone is here and all is well. These guys from the hotter climes do not have very thick blood as it is still a little cool when a thunder storm rolls through. Their blood better get a little thicker. We will see how much of Glacier is open tomorrow and head for the border on Friday. We have a little bit of Gary's heart medicine to get rid of so we don't have to pay taxes on it at the border. No problem

Wayne
blue_goose
Club Member
Club Member
FMCA #: F46002
Bus Model: 1968 Eagle 05 for 26 years #7600 Still love Eagles but now have a
1990 MCI 102C3 converted by Hoffman Coach

Post by blue_goose »

You guys have a wonderful trip. One of my friends is just ahead of you, look out for a MCI 9. Marty and Deborah were at Glacier last week. You should pass somewhere on the way.
Jack
Jack Campbell
Polk City, Florida
FMCA F46002
Eagle International Life Member
garhawk
Club Member
Club Member

Post by garhawk »

Hi folks,

It's Thursday, May 28 and hard to believe we've been gone more than a week. Time is really flying by. As Wayne said, we're all here at beautiful Glacier Mist RV campgrounds - a real home style establishment with no necktie requirements. The owner lady is very nice to us and its great to have 50 amp,sewer, water and other amenities. It turned cold late yesterday. After the required dosage of heart medicine, the girls showed their grit and prepared a delicious dinner outside with pulled pork, salad, baked beans, hot bread, strawberries & cake. Someone mentioned that it might even get better than this - how will we stand it?

On the mechanical side, we've all had one issue or another but, nothing to be a show stopper. Dave had a cooling fan control flare-up which dealer solved, Tony experienced a dump valve problem which seems to have healed itself, my alternator died but NAPA was right there to the rescue and Wayne thought he felt a slight vibe around the rear end but, after some heart medicine, it may have been only one of those damned concrete highways!

Stayed tuned folks, this is only the beginning.
rusty
1994 15/45 in progress

Post by rusty »

DSC_0454.JPG
DSC_0433.JPG
DSC_0442.JPG
We went into Glacier National Park today. The going to the sun road is closed but we went a little further north to Many Glacier Road and seen some beautiful sights. Also we were treated to two different bear sightings. One mother with three cubs and two other cubs without their mother, that was a little scary not knowing where mom was. The pictures I took of the bears did not turn out very good as the bears were in the trees.

Wayne
garhawk
Club Member
Club Member

Post by garhawk »

Bears, no one else saw one - can any of you seen any?

Gary