Announcement Block
As of 12/1/2021, a major update of the forum software was accomplished

Update: 3/7/2024: The Eagles email account at GoDaddy no longer works. I have set up a gmail account as a workaround: eaglesinternational.email at gmail.com

Registration is open to the public (*) and free from any cost or obligation. Please allow up to 36 hours for your application to be processed. If you have problems registering, please email me at: eaglesinternational.email at gmail.com
(*) spambots will be deleted -- only legitimate public applications will be processed.

Reminder: the "quick links" menu offers you the best navigation of this forum -- you need to be registered and logged in to see that menu.

Alaska by Gary Throneberry and Wayne Schell

This is the place to tell about all the cool places your Eagle takes you. Hopefully there will be lots of great pictures that will help us all plan future trips.
rusty
FMCA #: F341087
Bus Model: 1972 05 completed 2003
1994 15/45 in progress

Re: Alaska by Gary Throneberry and Wayne Schell

Post by rusty »

Sig's boat
DSC_0178.JPG
Purse netters waiting for the OK to go fishing
DSC_0183.JPG
rusty
1994 15/45 in progress

Post by rusty »

After we left Valdez we met up with Gary and Gloria at their friends Gold mine outside of Burwash Landing in the Yukon. It was very interesting to see the way Steve and Anna extracted the gold. They use a floating ( actually two ) rig. The advantage is they use less equipment then a stationary plant. They use two excavators one to feed it and the other to move the tailings. They do have a loader to do some final clean up. Another interesting thing is the ground that they mine has already been mined once and they still are getting a fair amount of gold. They also have virgin ground that they will mine someday. We did not help with the clean out that was done the day before we arrived,but we got to see them process the concentrate. With different machines and some hand panning the gold starts to show up. It is also amazing the other things they find. Copper nuggets and copper arrow heads, Bullets mostly 22, and parts of batteries. Steve and Anna took us on an ATV ride to some beautiful back country. From where we parked the busses to the mine is about 6 miles of not the best road, mostly river bottom. On are way in we got to see a black Wolf what a sight.
The wolf is in the center of the picture. I had the wrong lens and he didn't stick around to let me change
DSC_0190.JPG
The floating Screening plant
DSC_0202.JPG
Sorry the connection today is very slow will post more pictures when I get a better one.
rusty
1994 15/45 in progress

Post by rusty »

ATV ride
DSC_0223.JPG
Some Gold that was collected
DSC_0234.JPG
Getting the fine gold out of the fine sand
DSC_0241.JPG
Some gold nuggets in the larger concentrate
DSC_0252.JPG
rusty
1994 15/45 in progress

Post by rusty »

We have been home for a while but I thought I would finish are trip. After the gold mine we parted ways with the rest of the group. Lin and I headed for the rally in Wisconsin, Tony and Gary headed to Haines. We drove down to Edmonton and then across Canada to Sault Ste Marie. We seen a lot of different types of country driving through Canada. A lot of wooded areas, a lot of lakes, a lot of farm land. The farm land stands out in my mind the yellow canola fields next to the blue flax fields and the green wheat fields mixed in. You can’t take the farm out of the kid. The sights around lake Superior are very beautiful, lots of lakes and beautiful forests. Lake Superior itself is worth a few days the explore. Thunder bay is a fun place to spend some time don’t miss Kakabeka falls. Saulte ste Marie has a lot of nice things to see and do. We all made it home in good shape. This trip was at the top of my bucket list and it is not off that list it only got moved down a ways as I hope we can do it again. The trip for us was just over 9500 miles and every mile was memorable.
A few things we learned that we can pass on. The best sights in Alaska are in the southern part of the state. We went to Fairbanks and are glad we did but the next time we will not go there. The only exception is Denali park even though it was cloudy the day we were there is is worth the stop. Visit Telkeetna and take a plane ride to see Mt McKinley. Also next time I will fly up the Barrow and see what is up there. Anchorage is a good place to spend some time. While there take a train ride. We took the one to Grandview and it is. We enjoyed all the southern towns the best. Homer is a fun place spend a little extra and stay out on the spit. This is where we caught a couple of fishing trips. Valdez is a beautiful place to spend some time. Take the Lulu Bell out to see the Glaciers. The Lulubell is the best boat to take. Lin and I did not go to Haines but wish we would have.
There are plenty of places to stay along the way to Alaska. Don’t over look the Provincal parks along the way. Some have hook ups some don’t but all are a fun place to stop. Fuel is not a problem along the route. We ran on the top half of the fuel tank just to be safe. The price was around 1.10 a litre it did cost 1.83 at one stop. The exchange rate was in our favor ( 1.21 ) so that helped a little. I did pay 4,99 a gallon for gas on my trip to the artic circle. Be aware of the frost heaves after the first one it will make a believer out of you, just go slow and you will be fine. Yes your bus will get dirty but there are plenty of places to wash it.
Take along a few spare parts. Belts, filters, bolts, wire and things like that. I used some belts when a bolt came lose and took out some belts. Bolts came in handy a couple of times. And take a good tool set with some battery powered hand tools.
Yes we will do it again in a heart beat.
I will post some pictures when I figure out why the whole picture is not posted.