Announcement Block
As of 12/1/2021, a major update of the forum software was accomplished

Update: 3/7/2024: The Eagles email account at GoDaddy no longer works. I have set up a gmail account as a workaround: eaglesinternational.email at gmail.com

Registration is open to the public (*) and free from any cost or obligation. Please allow up to 36 hours for your application to be processed. If you have problems registering, please email me at: eaglesinternational.email at gmail.com
(*) spambots will be deleted -- only legitimate public applications will be processed.

Reminder: the "quick links" menu offers you the best navigation of this forum -- you need to be registered and logged in to see that menu.

Our First Eagle Camping Experience

This is the place to tell about all the cool places your Eagle takes you. Hopefully there will be lots of great pictures that will help us all plan future trips.
Oilslick
Bus Model: 1987 MCI-9 Sold!
1989 MCI 102A2 Sold!
1982 Eagle Model 10 Sold!
1988 Eagle Model 20 GSA Sold!
1981 Eagle Model 10 Entertainer

Our First Eagle Camping Experience

Post by Oilslick »

We just got back from a 6 night "expedition" in our '81 M10 Entertainer. Everything went great with a few exceptions.

A hot water line going to the galley sink sprang a leak. Unfortunately this line runs into the 110v electrical compartment and then up into the coach. It was spraying water directly into the breaker box which has no cover. YIKES!!! Got that fixed and we were good to go.

The next day the central air began to freeze up. Called out a tech and he came out and serviced the system and put in a pound of R-22. This is a VERY old basement unit so I'm sure the leaks will probably be normal. Saving cash for two new roof tops soon. We were only 45 minutes from home and the tech is a good friend. He didn't charge me a dime. Not even for the R-22. Yay me! The ac almost froze us after the repair. We also have a 15,000 btu roof air mounted in the center of the coach and it kept the central unit from coming on until the hottest part of the day. Even then we almost froze.

About the same time the ac started its drama the old Microflush LF-220 died. The flush timer went out. I priced a timer and at $190 I decided that it was time to upgrade. I headed to Sonny's Camp and Travel in Duncan, SC and Mr. Eddie Adams sold me a new Dometic toilet with a porcelain bowl and the swirl flush. No electronics!!! Always felt uneasy about sitting on a toilet that was hooked up to electricity even if it was just 12 volts. It took all of 15 minutes to install the new throne. With its new positioning I now have room to install a small sink in the restroom.

Upon leaving the camping area I noticed that I was leaving a trail of sewage every time I made a left turn. I got out to inspect and found that the dump valve was not closing all the way. The dump valves are the Dupree Products power valves. Something was keeping it from going down. I made it home without the EPA tailing me and disassembled the valve to find that the actual seal had fallen out of the blade and was lodged under the blade keeping it from closing and therefore allowing the sewage that didn't completely drain out when I dumped it at the site to spill out onto the road. I have now ordered new seal assemblies for BOTH dump valves.

I never thought that my wife would take to camping. She has been sheltered all her life and she is not an outdoors gal. SHE LOVED STAYING IN THE EAGLE!!! She is planning our next "expedition".

I bought this coach (this is my 5th coach, 3rd Eagle) for our family music ministry. I didn't really buy it for camping but I do have to admit, I could get to liking it. In August our family music ministry will be heading out to Lemmon, SD to sing at my brother's church. We will leave on a Thursday afternoon and sing in Mulhall, OK the next night. We will sing in Omaha, NE on that Saturday night and then in Lemmon, SD on Sunday night. We get to spend three days in Lemmon and then head out on the next Thursday to sing in southern Alabama on that Friday night and the next night back in South Carolina singing close to home. What a haul!!!

Gonna be installing at least one new ac unit and four new tires before August. LOL!!!

I'm addicted to RV'ing.
Kevin B. Jones
Busless
beltguy
Site Admin
Site Admin
FMCA #: F246286
Bus Model: 1985 Eagle 10 with Series 60 and Eaton AutoShift 10 speed transmission (SOLD)

Re: Our First Eagle Camping Experience

Post by beltguy »

Kevin, fun story. Glad the issues were not all that significant (albeit not the fun to fix :shock: )

I assume you will be taking the bus on your tour in August. It sounds like a pretty aggressive schedule.

Jim
Jim Shepherd
Evergreen, CO
'85 Eagle 10 with Series 60 & Eaton AutoShift 10 speed transmission SOLD
2005 Dodge 2500 with 5.9 Cummins and 6 speed manual 2022 Sunset 28 foot trailer
Bus Project pages: http://beltguy.com/Bus_Project/busproject.htm
Blog: https://beltguy.com/Travelogue/
Email: eaglesinternational.email at gmail.com   NOTE this email box is only for general correspondence related to the forum and not technical advice.  Technical questions will not receive a response.
Oilslick
Bus Model: 1987 MCI-9 Sold!
1989 MCI 102A2 Sold!
1982 Eagle Model 10 Sold!
1988 Eagle Model 20 GSA Sold!
1981 Eagle Model 10 Entertainer

Re: Our First Eagle Camping Experience

Post by Oilslick »

Hey Jim,

The plan is to take the Eagle on the tour. I'm still trying to sweet talk my wife into helping me drive.

A few years back when we did a week long tour of Oklahoma I convinced her to drive from Little Rock back to Memphis so I could get a little sleep. I was awakened by her yelling at me to get up front and take over. She was pale and white knuckled!!! At the time we traveled in an MCI 102A2 and she made it to Memphis but the cement construction barriers on each side of the east bound lanes made us all uncomfortable. There was no where to switch drivers and I wasn't about to switch while she was driving in heavy traffic. She made it through but vowed to never drive the bus again. My argument is that this is a different bus, not as wide. She still says no. LOL!!!
Kevin B. Jones
Busless