Announcement Block
As of 12/1/2021, a major update of the forum software was accomplished

Update: 3/7/2024: The Eagles email account at GoDaddy no longer works. I have set up a gmail account as a workaround: eaglesinternational.email at gmail.com

Registration is open to the public (*) and free from any cost or obligation. Please allow up to 36 hours for your application to be processed. If you have problems registering, please email me at: eaglesinternational.email at gmail.com
(*) spambots will be deleted -- only legitimate public applications will be processed.

Reminder: the "quick links" menu offers you the best navigation of this forum -- you need to be registered and logged in to see that menu.

Made it.......barely!

This is the place to tell about all the cool places your Eagle takes you. Hopefully there will be lots of great pictures that will help us all plan future trips.
Dreamscape
FMCA #: F391238
Bus Model: 1968 Silver Eagle Model 01

Re: Made it.......barely!

Post by Dreamscape »

Boomer wrote:Paul will you still be in TX in the spring? If so come on over to Blytheville, it's going to be a great time. Going to be a big event. Need some more Eagles there.

We'll still be here in New Braunfels probably through May or June. Not sure about Byltheville yet.
Paul Lawry
Dreamscape
1968 Eagle 01 #7443
Silver 8V92 HT 740

Dreamscape Build Blog: https://dreamscapesilvereagle.wordpress.com/
tomhamrick
Club Member
Club Member
FMCA #: F207535
Bus Model: 1981 Eagle Model 10

Post by tomhamrick »

Hi Mark,

Glad you made it to our next of the woods. Gene was in my wife's shop getting parts yesterday and said we need to get over and check out your bus. We will let you get settled before we come over. Let me know if there is anything we can do while you are in the area.

Tom & Karen Hamrick
Tom Hamrick
1981 Eagle 10
1991 Prevost H3-40
Boomer
Club Member
Club Member
FMCA #: F352905
Bus Model: 1981 Eagle M10. Stretched, widened, raised to M15/45 specs. Cummins ISM 450, Allison World transmission. Mid entry door.

Post by Boomer »

Thanks Tom, look forward to it. Kinda busy right now. I was in your wife's shop today too.
MrBreeze
Club Member
Club Member

Post by MrBreeze »

WOW !!!!!!!!!!!!

I Am Happy To Hear That You And Kathy Are Safe.

I Have Been Thinking About You Both Traveling Across The Country In Your Vintage Bus Almost Every Day Since You Left Your Home 20......... What A Great Adventure !

Thank You For Sharing :D

Take Care Buddy......10-4

MrBreeze
John & Stephanie
1972 Silver Eagle 05 8V71 4 Speed Man.(TRAILWAYS)
1984 Eagle 10 45 Foot... 60 Series / B500
Boomer
Club Member
Club Member
FMCA #: F352905
Bus Model: 1981 Eagle M10. Stretched, widened, raised to M15/45 specs. Cummins ISM 450, Allison World transmission. Mid entry door.

Post by Boomer »

A little update on the progress:

I mentioned earlier that we were going to pull the rear end for examination as I was skeptical about one that probably has around 2 million miles on her. And of course it had the old worn out differential hum to her. Suspicions confirmed, it was completely worn out. So now the hunt was on to find a higher ratio diff to replace the 4.12. The Silverside used two different axle housings during their production run. The old style was used from serial number 1 through 500. My serial number is 438. It became apparant that to update to a 3.55, a complete late style axle housing would have to be found, as well as the 3.55 carrier. Gene Russell to the rescue! This is why I brought the bus clear across country for this job. Gene has 6 spare Silversides on the property. 3 are "nice" and intact, 3 are parts rigs. In the worst of the parts rigs was a late style axle housing, although with the same 4.12 in it. Half the problem solved! Out she came. Next, Gene knew about a GM 4104 close by that had the 3.55 in it, probably in good shape. To get that diff I had to buy the entire bus! But no problem, Gene bought it back from me after the diff was removed. The 4.12 went in it, so it is again a driveable bus.

The 3.55 carrier was in beautful shape. Did not even need rebuilding, it looked fresh. But we went ahead and put new bearings in it anyway and reset it. Meantime, the new axle housing was being built up with a whole lot of new parts and scrounged used ones. Absolutely none of my old parts would cross over to the new housing, not even the axles. Keep in mind that all these parts are near 70 years old and real hard to find. We put new type 30 brake chambers on to replace the old pancake chambers, and added a spring brake on the LH side (no room on the right due to the V drive). I had already installed a new PP-2 valve in the cab before coming here. New cam bearings (yup they have bearing shells, not bushings) new wheel bearings and seals, and finally got to the drums. Mine were in pristine shape, but you guessed it, would not fit on the late style housing set up. So we took a serviceable pair off another Silverside. The drums are very obsolete, not even Luke has a source for them. If anyone out there does, please contact me. Then a new yoke (only 4 left in the country, $502 YIKES) and the job was ready for me to paint.

Meanwhile the new engine and transmission were setting there on the dolly, patiently waiting to be installed. In my spare time I did the final repair on the burned wiring and repainted the engine compartment. I had the exhaust manifold ceramic coated.

New brake valves and hoses and all new fuel lines are installed. The new power steering hoses and stainless pipes are installed from the back to the front. The new rear end goes in tomorrow, with the power pack right behind. While they are installing the front section power steering I will do all the final hook ups in the engine bay. This will more or less be a new modern Silverside when we are done. Am I nuts? You know it!

Will try to get Paul to post some pics of the progress. Thanks, Paul!

PS If anyone is offended that this is not Eagle related, just delete it all!

See you at Blytheville!
Dreamscape

Post by Dreamscape »

I'm just amazed that you were able to find all the necessary parts to fix it all. Sounds like Gene is a gold mine! 8-) Glad it's all working out. Can't wait to hear about the test drive.

Pics, send them to me and I'll post them in this thread.

Delete this amazing project......Never! 8-)
Paul Lawry
Dreamscape
1968 Eagle 01 #7443
Silver 8V92 HT 740

Dreamscape

Post by Dreamscape »

Paul Lawry
Dreamscape
1968 Eagle 01 #7443
Silver 8V92 HT 740

Eagle Andy
Club Member
Club Member
FMCA #: F299044
Bus Model: 1968 SE Model 05

Post by Eagle Andy »

Hey Mark looks great thanks for the update on your adventure 8-)
Andy Wright 68 Silver Eagle Model 5 8V92 #7481
BoxcarOkie

Post by BoxcarOkie »

"There is an old saying “familiarity breeds contempt” this might apply to some bus owners.  We spend an inordinate amount of time in our buses, under our buses, by our buses.  We eat in them, sleep in them, travel and work on them, sometimes under the most difficult of circumstances. There are also creative, very imaginative people in our midst that go the extra mile.

Someone who quickly comes to mind is a friend of mine, Mark Renner, he has a bus he is restoring and although it is some 66 years old, is guaranteed to be a show stopper in a month or so at a bus rally in Blytheville, Arkansas.  You can read about this upcoming event here.  In a way it is pretty amazing, when you stop to consider that this bus sat in the Arizona desert for over 30 years before Mark discovered it."

The rest of the post can be found here: http://boxcarokie.com/2013/02/18/wow-wow-oh-wow/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
No I didn't say that ... Must have been some other guy.
ldsrr91@gmail.com
http://boxcarokie.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://boxcarokie.com/eagle-bus-life/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://boxcarokie.com/eagle-bus-photos/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
rusty
FMCA #: F341087
Bus Model: 1972 05 completed 2003
1994 15/45 in progress

Post by rusty »

Mark, Looking forward to seeing your silversides in Blytheville.

Wayne