Announcement Block
As of 12/1/2021, a major update of the forum software was accomplished

Update: 3/7/2024: The Eagles email account at GoDaddy no longer works. I have set up a gmail account as a workaround: eaglesinternational.email at gmail.com

Registration is open to the public (*) and free from any cost or obligation. Please allow up to 36 hours for your application to be processed. If you have problems registering, please email me at: eaglesinternational.email at gmail.com
(*) spambots will be deleted -- only legitimate public applications will be processed.

Reminder: the "quick links" menu offers you the best navigation of this forum -- you need to be registered and logged in to see that menu.

Doing a DD3 conversion in the Absaroka Bay RV Park

This is the place to tell about all the cool places your Eagle takes you. Hopefully there will be lots of great pictures that will help us all plan future trips.
beltguy
Site Admin
Site Admin
FMCA #: F246286
Bus Model: 1985 Eagle 10 with Series 60 and Eaton AutoShift 10 speed transmission (SOLD)

Doing a DD3 conversion in the Absaroka Bay RV Park

Post by beltguy »

Well, Pam and Tony can add another activity to the great rally :o

Several of us stayed over for a day or two after the rally. Yesterday most of us were leaving. I had the bus started and noticed that Bob Gilbert seemed to be having a problem. I went over and he could not get the brakes to release. Bob, Jack Bernritter, Dave Kellas and I worked as a team to diagnose the problem. We concluded that one of the DD3 cans has blown a diaphragm. We knew that there was no hope of getting parts locally.

Bob had recently purchased 3030 spring cans in hopes of doing the conversion before the trip. He had them with him.

I made some calls to Sonnie and Clifford and confirmed that we had a handle on the problem and that we could do the conversion with the parts on the bus (did not have to purchase any special valves). Thanks for the help guys!!!

Bolting the cans in place was not all that big of a deal. Getting the parking brakes system to work was a real challenge. Bob's bus has a relay valve for the service brakes and a relay valve for the parking brakes (no interconnection like the QR1 on later buses). That probably made the job easier.

I used a manifold I use to charge extinguishers to trouble shoot the system as we began to connect parts. Between Bob and I, we had all the fittings we needed (he had to modify some compression ferrules that he found at a repair shop, but that was the only parts we had to find).

We were able to trace the parking brake relay valve signal line to the front service area in the compartment by the driver. We then played with the parking brake valve lines until we found one that supplied system air when the valve was in the released position. We had to plug a couple of ports where we removed the lines, but after all was said and done, we made it work.

Bob will have some work to do when he gets home, but the system is functional. We kept in contact with him and met up several times today. After about 300 miles, the system was working well.

Only took four people a whole day to do the job :D . If we had to do it again, we could probably do it with two people in a bit over a half day.

Jim
Jim Shepherd
Evergreen, CO
'85 Eagle 10 with Series 60 & Eaton AutoShift 10 speed transmission SOLD
2005 Dodge 2500 with 5.9 Cummins and 6 speed manual 2022 Sunset 28 foot trailer
Bus Project pages: http://beltguy.com/Bus_Project/busproject.htm
Blog: https://beltguy.com/Travelogue/
Email: eaglesinternational.email at gmail.com   NOTE this email box is only for general correspondence related to the forum and not technical advice.  Technical questions will not receive a response.
luvrbus
Club Member
Club Member
FMCA #: F262917
Bus Model: 05

Re: Doing a DD3 conversion in the Absaroka Bay RV Park

Post by luvrbus »

I had faith in you guys it is not that big of a deal now if he just adds inline QR valves not much left to do why people worry with the DD3's is beyond me lol good job fellas

Clifford
beltguy
Site Admin
Site Admin
FMCA #: F246286
Bus Model: 1985 Eagle 10 with Series 60 and Eaton AutoShift 10 speed transmission (SOLD)

Post by beltguy »

Clifford, I was going to call you to thank you for the advice. Too tired last night and anxious to get on the road today.

Like everyone on this and the other boards, we appreciate your wisdom and willingness to share.

Jim
Jim Shepherd
Evergreen, CO
'85 Eagle 10 with Series 60 & Eaton AutoShift 10 speed transmission SOLD
2005 Dodge 2500 with 5.9 Cummins and 6 speed manual 2022 Sunset 28 foot trailer
Bus Project pages: http://beltguy.com/Bus_Project/busproject.htm
Blog: https://beltguy.com/Travelogue/
Email: eaglesinternational.email at gmail.com   NOTE this email box is only for general correspondence related to the forum and not technical advice.  Technical questions will not receive a response.
dukedelmar
FMCA #: 414876
Bus Model: 1974 Silver Eagle 05

Post by dukedelmar »

Jim...altho adding to the list that kept the rally going and going....mechanical problems was not one that we want to brag on..LOL!

Just so thankful that all has worked out and that hopefully one and all will make it safe and sound to their next destination.

Pam
Sunchaser Art
Board Member
Board Member
FMCA #: F351294
Bus Model: 1988 Eagle 15

Post by Sunchaser Art »

So we missed the brake repair--at least we didn't have to tear into my motor! I almost wish it would start blowing oil again so I could figure it out--maybe not. . .I'm happy with no more puddles!

Cindy & I ran with Wayne & Lin, we picked-up LeRoy & Anne along the way and spent the night at a nice little stop. LeRoy & Anne headed east and we were honored to spend the night at Wayne & Lin's house. We took a tour of the shop and their next project. . .and Dave St. John was right--Wayne's probably still mopping-up my drool spots off the floor--what a shop and Wayne is a master craftsman!

We made it to Pueblo and we'll spend a week here before heading south to Santa Fe to catch-up with some old friends. Hope everyone is having a safe trip to wherever you're heading!
Art Wales
1988 Eagle 15
6V92/740
Riverside County, CA
Boomer
Club Member
Club Member
FMCA #: F352905
Bus Model: 1981 Eagle M10. Stretched, widened, raised to M15/45 specs. Cummins ISM 450, Allison World transmission. Mid entry door.

Post by Boomer »

Way to go, Art & Cindy. We made it home yesterday, great trip and great rally. Got the bus cleaned up and in the barn.
Liberty
Board Member
Board Member
FMCA #: F415412
Bus Model: 1967 Silver Eagle 01 #7211

Post by Liberty »

Yes Wayne's shop looks like a bus NASCAR shop. Just makes me fell good standing there.
Anne and I are in SE NE. We had a get together with her 2 sisters, a cousin from Iowa, a niece and family as well as us 2 brothers in laws.
Last eve. we moved to Beatrice,NE to visit friends we met lat winter in SE AZ. They have just purchased a new Cardinal 43' 5er. Sure is pretty. In early March we will do a cruise with this couple and their family to celebrate their 50th wed. anni.
We will pullout tomorrow am and head to Wichita for our family get together. all bu 2 grands will be there. We plan on staying till mid. Nov. then AZ here we come.