Announcement Block
As of 12/1/2021, a major update of the forum software was accomplished

Update: 3/7/2024: The Eagles email account at GoDaddy no longer works. I have set up a gmail account as a workaround: eaglesinternational.email at gmail.com

Registration is open to the public (*) and free from any cost or obligation. Please allow up to 36 hours for your application to be processed. If you have problems registering, please email me at: eaglesinternational.email at gmail.com
(*) spambots will be deleted -- only legitimate public applications will be processed.

Reminder: the "quick links" menu offers you the best navigation of this forum -- you need to be registered and logged in to see that menu.

Trip to Cody WY - Best Route From Texas?

This is the place to tell about all the cool places your Eagle takes you. Hopefully there will be lots of great pictures that will help us all plan future trips.
luvrbus
Club Member
Club Member
FMCA #: F262917
Bus Model: 05

Re: Trip to Cody WY - Best Route From Texas?

Post by luvrbus »

When I was traveling 287 there was a restaurant at Virgina Dale man they had good food everything was home made that may be the reason I went that route lol now I thinking about chicken and dumpling see what you done

good luck and you guys travel safe no matter what route is chosen

Clifford
akroyaleagle
Club Member
Club Member
FMCA #: F180747
Bus Model: 1978 Model 05

Post by akroyaleagle »

OR, you could just come here and we will work our way out I-90 to Sheridan and jump over to Cody.
Get a little tour of SD on the way.
Joe Laird
'78 05
Sioux Falls, SD
dukedelmar
FMCA #: 414876
Bus Model: 1974 Silver Eagle 05

Post by dukedelmar »

O.K....this is amazing.....don't ask the people who live in Cody :roll: ...
(who have the same engine and drive train you have),,,anyway, Wayne has the best route for you.

When we came to your event, we went I -25 to Raton,NM to Amarillo TX. 287 has lots of small towns, and for our 871, Raton pass was a bit tough.

We are small town America people, so we liked the back routes/towns. If you want a quicker, more direct route...listen to Wayne. On the way from Thermopolis to Cody, you will have a hill or two...no big deal, just down shift! I can not encourage you enough to stay away from the Big Horn Mountains. Although these babies are beautiful....they are high and windy, with lots of switch backs. If you are not towing a car, you can use our car to spend the day going through the Big Horns.

If you stop in Thermopolis, the hot springs are fun. Be sure to use the back entrance, as the main entrance has a 12 ft high dipping underpass.
As I have said before, be sure to come from Shoshoni to Thermopolis ( Wind River Canyon) in the day light hours. One of the prettiest sights you will ever see!

One final point to all who are reading this...if you are coming through Cheyenne....watch the wind...it is very tough to deal with. You will have to be on your guard until Wheatland. When we were coming to the T.B.R...we went for 60 plus miles with gusting 40 m.p.h. cross winds.

See you soon,
Tony 8-)
luvrbus
Club Member
Club Member

Post by luvrbus »

Some people like interstate driving some don't if you been on 1 interstate you been on all and what makes you think some of us haven't lived in Cody or Denver before no need for you to get your panties in a wad geez we were just giving him some options I been all over that county with a 4 speed and a 8v71 in a Eagle leaving from Houston Tx
rusty
FMCA #: F341087
Bus Model: 1972 05 completed 2003
1994 15/45 in progress

Post by rusty »

The building is still in Virgina Dale but it is empty. I to have eaten there and yes it was good food. It and the post office are all that there. Last time I was thru there you had to go to the Wyo border to eat but have not eaten there.

Safe travels
Wayne
Eagle Andy
Club Member
Club Member
FMCA #: F299044
Bus Model: 1968 SE Model 05

Post by Eagle Andy »

I lived in cody for 14 years and been in and out of every road there is and pretty much every road in Wyoming FWIW :D
Andy Wright 68 Silver Eagle Model 5 8V92 #7481
luvrbus
Club Member
Club Member

Post by luvrbus »

Only 4 years for me in Cody but the 2 years Tenneco had me in Green River would make 14 years in WY lol see why I live in Az Andy I know every way there is to get to Cody from Houston TX I made that trip 4 times a year for 4 years no way could I fly because I had compressors stations and pipelines to oversee along the different routes took me 3 weeks for each run and get back to Houston,I did do a little fishing lol
Eagle Andy
Club Member
Club Member

Post by Eagle Andy »

Well then Clifford there no reason for you not jump in the little Blue love machine of Sonja's and come to Cody :D
luvrbus
Club Member
Club Member

Post by luvrbus »

I don't know about the rally but we and the Albuquerque bunch are heading out that way some place do you have a place to park 4 RV's at your house and a good fishing hole Jones wants to fish lol fwiw you don't have to feed us we can con Smith into that

good luck
Eagle Andy
Club Member
Club Member

Post by Eagle Andy »

LOL Well I could do two maybe and theres a nice camp ground a few blocks down the road. and there fishing in the Yellowstone 8-)