Announcement Block
As of 12/1/2021, a major update of the forum software was accomplished

Update: 3/7/2024: The Eagles email account at GoDaddy no longer works. I have set up a gmail account as a workaround: eaglesinternational.email at gmail.com

Registration is open to the public (*) and free from any cost or obligation. Please allow up to 36 hours for your application to be processed. If you have problems registering, please email me at: eaglesinternational.email at gmail.com
(*) spambots will be deleted -- only legitimate public applications will be processed.

Reminder: the "quick links" menu offers you the best navigation of this forum -- you need to be registered and logged in to see that menu.

Trip to Cody WY - Best Route From Texas?

This is the place to tell about all the cool places your Eagle takes you. Hopefully there will be lots of great pictures that will help us all plan future trips.
Dreamscape
FMCA #: F391238
Bus Model: 1968 Silver Eagle Model 01

Trip to Cody WY - Best Route From Texas?

Post by Dreamscape »

We are starting to plan our trip to Cody. As I've never driven something this heavy up there what can I expect?

What would be our best route from the Dallas TX area?

Thanks a bunch!

Paul
Paul Lawry
Dreamscape
1968 Eagle 01 #7443
Silver 8V92 HT 740

Dreamscape Build Blog: https://dreamscapesilvereagle.wordpress.com/
Eagle Andy
Club Member
Club Member
FMCA #: F299044
Bus Model: 1968 SE Model 05

Re: Trip to Cody WY - Best Route From Texas?

Post by Eagle Andy »

Hey Paul there are a couple ways to go, I guess it depends on what you want to see,From Dallas I would go right up 35 thur Ok and KS and pick up I 70 to north of Denver pick up I 25 take it up to Casper wy and and turn on to 20/26 take it to Shoshoni turn north on 20 go thur Thermopolis and from there take 120 right on in to cody. It's all good road. If you go up to Buffalo and over your not going to like the big horns lol Going up not bad but coming down ther is a bunch of switch backs. Anyway thats the way I would take all the time when I lived there in Cody
Andy Wright 68 Silver Eagle Model 5 8V92 #7481
glmccon
Club Member
Club Member
FMCA #: 87956
Bus Model: 1966 Eagle 01

Post by glmccon »

If you go through Thermopolus, be sure and stop to enjoy the Mineral Hot Springs, one of the largest in the world if I remember correctly.
Watch out for the Big Horns if you come over them. We blew our Engine coming over. Beautiful trip though! We now know a good mechanic in Warland at the bottom of the hill.
George and Glynda McConaughey
1966 Eagle 01
George cell (813) 966-7513
Glynda cell (619) 248-4080
Dreamscape
FMCA #: F391238
Bus Model: 1968 Silver Eagle Model 01

Post by Dreamscape »

Andy, I checked out that same route last night. Just was wondering if we are going to encounter any high passes? The ole 8v71 is a slow goer sometimes! ;)

Glynda, Thanks..........I think! ;) I'll just set back and enjoy the scenery and hope for the best! The Hot Springs would be pretty neat. I'm hoping we have enough time to see all we want to see.
Paul Lawry
Dreamscape
1968 Eagle 01 #7443
Silver 8V92 HT 740

Dreamscape Build Blog: https://dreamscapesilvereagle.wordpress.com/
luvrbus
Club Member
Club Member
FMCA #: F262917
Bus Model: 05

Post by luvrbus »

Paul, I take highway 287 out of Ft Worth to Wy border nice and flat with better fuel prices and no high priced toll roads plenty of free camping along the way some with electric nice little towns along that route if in a hurry pay the tolls and go through KS I 35 in KS is a toll road

good luck

Clifford
Eagle Andy
Club Member
Club Member
FMCA #: F299044
Bus Model: 1968 SE Model 05

Post by Eagle Andy »

Paul only if you go thru the Big Horns, If you take the southren route and come up from the south, say from New Mexico and up you have to climb Raton pass coming in to Colorado up 25. but for the most park that route is pretty nice. Between Thermop and Cody is a little hilly but really no passes per say . Theres fuel stops in Cheyenne, Casper , and Thermop with Good access.
Andy Wright 68 Silver Eagle Model 5 8V92 #7481
rusty
FMCA #: F341087
Bus Model: 1972 05 completed 2003
1994 15/45 in progress

Post by rusty »

Paul, Go to Amarillo and take 287 all the way to I70 in Colorado. Take I70 to I25 then north to Casper and then the route Andy said. You will hit very few hills. The roads are in good shape the whole route. You may hit some construction between Amarillo and I 70 there is always a section they are working on. If you like you will be within 4 mile of my house you are welcome to stay here if it works out. Also there will probably be some here and we can caravan up. We will take two days from here will stop a Shoshoni or Thermopolis.

Wayne
rusty
1994 15/45 in progress

Post by rusty »

About fuel prices Cheyenne is usually the best price. I have found that Casper is more most of the time. Check fuel prices online before you leave. Also about the route I talked about when you get near Denver you will see signs for E470 around the East side of Denver. Be aware that there are 3 toll booths ( you will not stop they will take a picture of you and send a bill) and each stop with 5 axles will cost you 7.50. ( I could be off a little as we have Etolls in all our trucks and just pay the bill). If you don't want to go through Denver I can send you a route to get around.

Thank You Wayne
luvrbus
Club Member
Club Member
FMCA #: F262917
Bus Model: 05

Post by luvrbus »

Paul needs to pickup 287 at Ft Worth the way Wayne is routing is the way I always went to Denver but I never liked 25 it was so ruff so I would pickup 287 at Ft Collins into Laramie then take the scenic route back in the 80's 287 was better than any interstate in CO I 70 from the Kansas line to Denver was so bad it would shake the bed sheets off the bed lol

good luck
Clifford
rusty
1994 15/45 in progress

Post by rusty »

Yes that is away to go I70 is new from Limon to Denver. 287 between Ft Collins and Laramie is the deadliest road in Colorado. Two lane and a ton of trucks everyone is trying to pass and take chances. We use to take the road all the time but in the end it is faster to use the interstate. True the sites are better on 287. The reason I don't take 287 between Ft Worth and Guyman is there are a thousand small towns you will wear out a clutch.

Thank You Wayne

PS I70 And 287 or the same road between Limon and Denver. If you take 287 to Laramie your best bet is to take I25 north to Ft Collins and then get on 287. If you pick up 287 in Denver you will go through every front range town between Denver and Ft Collins