Announcement Block
As of 12/1/2021, a major update of the forum software was accomplished

Update: 3/7/2024: The Eagles email account at GoDaddy no longer works. I have set up a gmail account as a workaround: eaglesinternational.email at gmail.com

Registration is open to the public (*) and free from any cost or obligation. Please allow up to 36 hours for your application to be processed. If you have problems registering, please email me at: eaglesinternational.email at gmail.com
(*) spambots will be deleted -- only legitimate public applications will be processed.

Reminder: the "quick links" menu offers you the best navigation of this forum -- you need to be registered and logged in to see that menu.

Another great one passes

This is the place to tell about all the cool places your Eagle takes you. Hopefully there will be lots of great pictures that will help us all plan future trips.
Justin Griffith
Bus Model: 72/05. 8V71N/4-speed, added Power steering. RV/Entertainer
85/10 6V92TA/HT740, Entertainer Coach

Another great one passes

Post by Justin Griffith »

Another one of my heros gone. Listening to old ET records with Buddy playing is one of the reasons I play steel guitar today.. Lots of folks thought it was Buddy Emmons who played on most of ET's hits but it was Charleton although Emmons did play on a few.

I really don't know what is going to happen to country music.....
Every time I go to a steel guitar convention there is at least one more of the greats I saw for the last time the previous year.

Sure wish we could get some younger players interested.

I sure hope this topic is ok. If not let me know. I do not intend to break the rules.

Here is a quick bio on Buddy:

Pedal steel great Buddy Charleton dies at 72

Elmer Lee “Buddy” Charleton, the musician and teacher whose pedal steel guitar work was an integral element in Country Music Hall of Famer Ernest Tubb’s famed Texas Troubadours band, died Tuesday night at his home in Locust Grove, Va. He was 72 and was fighting lung cancer.
From the spring of 1962 until the fall of 1973, Mr. Charleton was a featured Troubadour, playing crucial steel licks on Tubb’s classic honky-tonk material and entertaining listeners with imaginative, complex, at times unclassifiable steel guitar flights during Troubadour band sets when Tubb took a break. Tubb’s band endured numerous lineup changes, and Mr. Charleton and electric guitarist Leon Rhodes were the instrumental focus of what Tubb biographer Ronnie Pugh wrote was Tubb’s “greatest band of Texas Troubadours. … For sheer musical ability they were unsurpassed.”
Mr. Charleton is also known for his post-Tubb career as a pedal steel guitar teacher in the Washington, D.C. area. His students became some of contemporary country music’s most accomplished players, including Bruce Bouton (Garth Brooks, Reba McEntire), Pete Finney (Dixie Chicks, Patty Loveless), Bucky Baxter (Bob Dylan), Robin Ruddy (Rod Stewart), Robbie Flint (Alan Jackson), Tommy Detamore (George Strait, Doug Sahm) and Tommy Hannum (Emmylou Harris, Ricky Van Shelton).
“He was one of the all-time greats in terms of tone and attack, and by taking lessons from him you had him as an example to look up to, just three feet away from you,” said Finney, one of the handful of musicians who moved to Nashville and became professional players after studying under Mr. Charleton in the 1970s.

Best,
Justin