Announcement Block
As of 12/1/2021, a major update of the forum software was accomplished

Update: 3/7/2024: The Eagles email account at GoDaddy no longer works. I have set up a gmail account as a workaround: eaglesinternational.email at gmail.com

Registration is open to the public (*) and free from any cost or obligation. Please allow up to 36 hours for your application to be processed. If you have problems registering, please email me at: eaglesinternational.email at gmail.com
(*) spambots will be deleted -- only legitimate public applications will be processed.

Reminder: the "quick links" menu offers you the best navigation of this forum -- you need to be registered and logged in to see that menu.

FIRST TRIP

This is the place to tell about all the cool places your Eagle takes you. Hopefully there will be lots of great pictures that will help us all plan future trips.
sunlovers
Club Member
Club Member
FMCA #: F419288
Bus Model: 1967, SILVER EAGLE, MODEL 01 SE, 4 SPEED MANUEL, VIN # 7080

FIRST TRIP

Post by sunlovers »

Hello all!
Well the wife and I made our first trip this past week. We took out from Bishopville,SC at about 5 am Tuesday headin south to the in-laws. Our first stop was Cracker Barrel about 70 mi south on I-95 to warm up (17 degrees outside).
We then took off again headin south down the big I. By 10:00 am we were coming into Jacksonville. Looking to take a different route than what we normaly do in the four wheeler we took hwy 9A that took us out by the cruise terminals and this VERRRRY TALL bridge, boy was I freekin. Made that bridge with no problems even with the wind blowing around 25 mph. Continued on to Daytona and stopped at the Harley shop for a quick run thru then back on the road for the short run to Orlando and the in-laws for 4 days of visiting.
Sunday morning 7 am it was back on the road but this time rain and wind. First stop was Cracker Barrel in Daytona. Good food and warm coffee. With ourselves fueled up we headed back up I-95 toward home. We stopped again in Pooler, GA at Camping World for a look see and some lunch. Back on the big I we continued on the interstate until we came to our exit. From there it was 25 miles to the truck stop to fuel up before going to the house.
Put 102 gallons of fuel back in the old girl, drove 978 miles for a great fuel milage of 9.588 mpg, and 2 quarts of oil, just couldn't believe it but I guess driving 60-65 mph does help on milage.
For our first trip, it was GREAT! Looking foward to more trips.

Mike & Kathy
67 Model 01
vin # 7080
Bishopville,SC
843-692-4168
Mike & Kathy Mingus
PARADISE
'67 Model 01 SE, 4 speed man.
8V71, Vin # 7080
Bishopville, SC
Songman
Club Member
Club Member
FMCA #: F404262
Bus Model: 1993 Silver Eagle Model 15-45

Re: FIRST TRIP

Post by Songman »

Outstanding! That is the kind of stories we love to hear! Now I hope you will have some pictures for us soon!

Dale
Dale Houston
1993 Eagle 15-45
Nashville, TN
van
Club Member
Club Member

Post by van »

Thanks for sharing Mike, sounded like a nice trip. Cheryl and I had a little get away(Thurs,Fri,Sat) with Art & Cindy and had a great time down here at Lake mead for a couple of nights, I have a bunch of pix I will include of the incredible views out here in the left field ;) in it's own thread (keep an eye out for it :D ). All the best! keep it coming ;) :D
glmccon
Club Member
Club Member
FMCA #: 87956
Bus Model: 1966 Eagle 01

Post by glmccon »

Congratulations for getting the bus on the road for the first time.
Oh, 8-) how I remember those days. Hopefully, this will only be the first trip of many years of traveling ahead of you.
There is honestly NO better way to travel than in a Eagle, especially having Eagle friends all across the country.
I see your Eagle is about the same ventage as our's. We have a 1966 Eagle 01.
We have plenty of room for several buses on the property. If you are ever in Yuma, come stay and visit.
George and Glynda McConaughey
1966 Eagle 01
George cell (813) 966-7513
Glynda cell (619) 248-4080
glmccon
Club Member
Club Member
FMCA #: 87956
Bus Model: 1966 Eagle 01

Post by glmccon »

Whow.............that is wonderful mpg. What motor do you have. Wish we got that kind of mpg. We are no where close to that.
George and Glynda McConaughey
1966 Eagle 01
George cell (813) 966-7513
Glynda cell (619) 248-4080
Dreamscape
FMCA #: F391238
Bus Model: 1968 Silver Eagle Model 01

Post by Dreamscape »

Great report! I'm glad to see you post your experience! It's not often we get to ride along with you on your first outing. May every trip be as spectacular!

We have an 8v71n in our 1968 01, 4 speed standard and feel lucky to touch 8 mpg. Most of the time it's about 7-7.5! :( That was on our last trip to the TBR, Branson andCarthage rallies. About 1300 miles total. 8-)

Now that you've had a taste of it, go for another one! There is nothing better than hitting the road in our Eagles!

Paul
Paul Lawry
Dreamscape
1968 Eagle 01 #7443
Silver 8V92 HT 740

Dreamscape Build Blog: https://dreamscapesilvereagle.wordpress.com/
sunlovers
Club Member
Club Member
FMCA #: F419288
Bus Model: 1967, SILVER EAGLE, MODEL 01 SE, 4 SPEED MANUEL, VIN # 7080

Post by sunlovers »

Thanks for all the comments. :D
Sorry you all, but the camera got left behind. This is a trip that we make several time a year to the in-laws so the picture is always the same for us. Next time I will be sure to have the wife take pics so that those of you that are out west can see what the east coast looks like...LOL.
The motor is a 8v71 with 4 speed manual and manual steering(a pain in the arms). The Eagle was just serviced two weeks ago. I use Delo 15-40 as recemonded by the rebuild mfg. I also use Lucas oil stablizer which helps with dry starts (also use it in my other vehicles one of which is an 87 S-15 Jimmy with 328,000 miles on original motor).. Lucas fuel injector cleaner is also used.
The old girl ran like a new born kitten, not missing a lick at anytime.

As the the saying goes :
"Its about the journey, and not the destinition"

Mike & Kathy Mingus
67 Model 01, 8v71, 4 speed
Bishopville,SC
803-692-4168
Mike & Kathy Mingus
PARADISE
'67 Model 01 SE, 4 speed man.
8V71, Vin # 7080
Bishopville, SC
BoxcarOkie

Post by BoxcarOkie »

sunlovers wrote:Put 102 gallons of fuel back in the old girl, drove 978 miles for a great fuel milage of 9.588 mpg, and 2 quarts of oil, just couldn't believe it but I guess driving 60-65 mph does help on milage.
For our first trip, it was GREAT! Looking foward to more trips.

Mike & Kathy
67 Model 01
vin # 7080
Bishopville,SC
843-692-4168
Incredible Mike, I surely dream of mileage figures like that. Mine is not a big consumer of oil or lubricants, but man that Old Hoopie loves the fuel. Usually we run about 800 miles on a tank and that just about drains it all (150 u.s. gallons). Glad you had a good trip, hope to meet you some day there in South Carolina (I am saving the alum. cans right now for the fuel!).

BCO
No I didn't say that ... Must have been some other guy.
ldsrr91@gmail.com
http://boxcarokie.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://boxcarokie.com/eagle-bus-life/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://boxcarokie.com/eagle-bus-photos/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
beltguy
Site Admin
Site Admin
FMCA #: F246286
Bus Model: 1985 Eagle 10 with Series 60 and Eaton AutoShift 10 speed transmission (SOLD)

Post by beltguy »

Mike and Kathy, as others have said, it is always fun to hear about trips, especially the first trip.

I got a kick out of your Cracker Barrel stops. Several years ago, I had a wonderful assignment where I drove a company van all over the US doing project work. Pat was able to go on most of the trips and we had a Cracker Barrel map in the door pocket next to her that we "navigated" by (before GPS). Wonderful food, but not real good on the long term health issues :o

Jim
Jim Shepherd
Evergreen, CO
'85 Eagle 10 with Series 60 & Eaton AutoShift 10 speed transmission SOLD
2005 Dodge 2500 with 5.9 Cummins and 6 speed manual 2022 Sunset 28 foot trailer
Bus Project pages: http://beltguy.com/Bus_Project/busproject.htm
Blog: https://beltguy.com/Travelogue/
Email: eaglesinternational.email at gmail.com   NOTE this email box is only for general correspondence related to the forum and not technical advice.  Technical questions will not receive a response.
luvrbus
Club Member
Club Member
FMCA #: F262917
Bus Model: 05

Post by luvrbus »

Good trip but you need to get the 15/40 out or you will start having oil leaks go with 40W Delo and don't worry about 100 or 400 they are both the same now

Clifford