Announcement Block
As of 12/1/2021, a major update of the forum software was accomplished

Update: 3/7/2024: The Eagles email account at GoDaddy no longer works. I have set up a gmail account as a workaround: eaglesinternational.email at gmail.com

Registration is open to the public (*) and free from any cost or obligation. Please allow up to 36 hours for your application to be processed. If you have problems registering, please email me at: eaglesinternational.email at gmail.com
(*) spambots will be deleted -- only legitimate public applications will be processed.

Reminder: the "quick links" menu offers you the best navigation of this forum -- you need to be registered and logged in to see that menu.

Country Legend Passes

This is the place to tell about all the cool places your Eagle takes you. Hopefully there will be lots of great pictures that will help us all plan future trips.
Songman
Club Member
Club Member
FMCA #: F404262
Bus Model: 1993 Silver Eagle Model 15-45

Country Legend Passes

Post by Songman »

I guess I can post this here. This man spent a heckuva lot more time on buses than I ever have. He told me plenty of stories of life on the road with Merle, Willie, Vern, Ray, and many others. They all came to him when they needed a song.

Hank Cochran passed away Thursday morning at his home outside of Nashville. He spent his last night doing what he loved best - playing music with his friends. After a phone call from Merle, Hank was visited by Billy Ray Cyrus, Jamey Johnson, and long-time friend Buddy Cannon for a last night of music. They played all of Hank's old songs and even though he was weak he tried to join in when he could. At one point when they thought it was getting late and they should let Hank get his rest, he asked them if they would keep playing. They played into the night. Buddy and Hank's wife, Suzi, were with him the next morning as he left for his journey home.

I've been fortunate in my life to know most of my country music heroes. And I can say without hesitation that Hank was among the best of them. From humble beginnings in an orpahange in Isola, Mississippi to the top of t he country charts, Hank was always the same. He knew the feelings of hard time and pain and he put them all into his songs. And he was always there for his friends to try to help them go through those things. I should know, I am one of those he helped. He was my mentor, he was my producer, and he was my friend.

Some Hank Cochran songs you might have heard of:
I Fall To Pieces - Patsy Cline
Make The World Go Away - Eddy Arnold, Lawrence Welk, Elvis Presley and many more
Don't You Ever Get Tired of Hurting Me - George Jones, Merle Haggard, Ronnie Milsap and many others
A Little Bitty Tear - Burl Ives
Don't Touch Me - Jeannie Seely, Lorrie Morgan, George Jones, and many others
Is It Raining At Your House - Vern Gosdin
Shoes - Patsy Cline
Ocean Front Property - George Strait
It's Not Love, But It's Not Bad - Merle Haggard
She's Got You - Patsy Cline
A-11 - Johnny Paycheck, Buck Owens, Clinton Gregory
The Chair - George Strait
Would These Arms Be In Your Way - Keith Whitley, Vern Gosdin
Miami My Amy - Keith Whitley
You Comb Her Hair - George Jones
Why Can't He Be You - Patsy Cline
Set Em Up, Joe - Vern Gosdin
You're Stronger Than Me - Patsy Cline

This is just a short list of Hank's songs that have become country music standards. A BMI chart says that Hank's songs have been played on the radio more than 36 million times. If played back to back, the music would last over 200 years! Yes, we have lost a legend and a friend.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZOl8RdBLTKc[/youtube]
Dale Houston
1993 Eagle 15-45
Nashville, TN
luvrbus
Club Member
Club Member
FMCA #: F262917
Bus Model: 05

Re: Country Legend Passes

Post by luvrbus »

Sad news Dale I liked his all his music my favorite was "Sally Was A Good Old Girl" still have it on a 8 track" she walked up and down the streets all day selling neckties to the ones that could pay the ones that couldn't she would give them away" or something like that and that is the way I lived my life from that song so he touched me lol

good luck
Clifford
Songman
Club Member
Club Member

Post by Songman »

Good song, Clifford! I didn't expect anyone to know Hank as a singer. That's great! People may not know that he was part of a duet with Eddie Cochran (no relation) called The Cochran Brothers. Eddie went on to fame with hits like Summertime Blues. But Hank loved country so he came back to Nashville. We are glad he did.
Dale Houston
1993 Eagle 15-45
Nashville, TN
Eagle Andy
Club Member
Club Member
FMCA #: F299044
Bus Model: 1968 SE Model 05

Post by Eagle Andy »

Thanks Dale , I grew up listen to those songs
Andy Wright 68 Silver Eagle Model 5 8V92 #7481
Songman
Club Member
Club Member

Post by Songman »

Younger days... (and thinner too!)

Dale Houston
1993 Eagle 15-45
Nashville, TN
akroyaleagle
Club Member
Club Member
FMCA #: F180747
Bus Model: 1978 Model 05

Post by akroyaleagle »

Thanks for posting this Dale.

I guess I remember him more as a singer than a songwriter. I didn't realize he wrote all those songs.

Great video also.

What happened to this kind of country?

Joe
Joe Laird
'78 05
Sioux Falls, SD
Dreamscape
FMCA #: F391238
Bus Model: 1968 Silver Eagle Model 01

Post by Dreamscape »

That kind of Country just can't be found anymore, at least from the new generation anyway.

I'm the Merle, Johnny and Willie kind of fan. Most of those songs were stories from the heart! And what really happened in their lives.
Paul Lawry
Dreamscape
1968 Eagle 01 #7443
Silver 8V92 HT 740

Dreamscape Build Blog: https://dreamscapesilvereagle.wordpress.com/
Songman
Club Member
Club Member

Post by Songman »

There are those of us who try to keep real country music alive. And from my experience, most country fans over about 19 want to keep that kind of country alive. Once shortly after I moved to Nashville I was having lunch with another legendary songwriter who has now left us named Max D. Barnes. We were having that very conversation. He said to me, "people like you, me, Hag, and Hank will always keep real country alive". I thought I was gonna bust! I was just thrilled to be included in that list! There are a lot more of us than people think. We are starting to see independent labels show up with artists on major radio now.

Jamey Johnson nailed it in the video - Hank not only wrote songs that played well on radio. He wrote songs with sustenance. He wrote about real life. People like Hank make singers look good to the fans. Someone was talking to me about Vern Gosdin once and they said that Vern must be a great guy because of all the feeling in songs like Chiseled In Stone and Is It Raining At Your House. Vern was a great guy, but Hank was the heart behind those wonderful songs.

Hank could pull songs from anywhere. As a songwriter myself I always loved the stories. Hank used to have a boat that he sailed around the Caribbean on. He would invite other writers to visit and write songs. One particular trip was with Dean Dillon who has written more George Strait hits than anyone can remember. The story goes that Hank and Dean had gotten up early and were sitting out at the table on the back of the boat. Hank's wife, Suzi, was a little upset with him so when she came out she looked at Dean and said "Excuse me, but I think you've got my chair"... And a song was born. Completely different than the original line but it was enough to form an idea. I always loved that behind the scenes stuff.
Dale Houston
1993 Eagle 15-45
Nashville, TN
Songman
Club Member
Club Member

Post by Songman »

By the way... For you guys who love and miss real country, check out Merle's brand new album called 'I Am What I Am'. In my opinion, it is the best thing he has done in 25 years. Not trying to turn this into a Merle post but he and Hank loved each other so I'm sure Hank won't mind a few nice words about Merle.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-fe-gtnK0cE[/youtube]
Dale Houston
1993 Eagle 15-45
Nashville, TN
blue_goose
Club Member
Club Member
FMCA #: F46002
Bus Model: 1968 Eagle 05 for 26 years #7600 Still love Eagles but now have a
1990 MCI 102C3 converted by Hoffman Coach

Post by blue_goose »

Thanks for the post Dale
I sure like good country, I try to catch Bill Mack on XM radio when ever I can to hear good country.
You could tell us which one you are in the picture.
Jack
Jack Campbell
Polk City, Florida
FMCA F46002
Eagle International Life Member