Announcement Block
As of 12/1/2021, a major update of the forum software was accomplished

Update: 3/7/2024: The Eagles email account at GoDaddy no longer works. I have set up a gmail account as a workaround: eaglesinternational.email at gmail.com

Registration is open to the public (*) and free from any cost or obligation. Please allow up to 36 hours for your application to be processed. If you have problems registering, please email me at: eaglesinternational.email at gmail.com
(*) spambots will be deleted -- only legitimate public applications will be processed.

Reminder: the "quick links" menu offers you the best navigation of this forum -- you need to be registered and logged in to see that menu.

DNS from Directv Operational!

This is the place to discuss all your tricks and tips of bus life. From how to pack everything you need, to the best on the road recipes.
Dreamscape
FMCA #: F391238
Bus Model: 1968 Silver Eagle Model 01

DNS from Directv Operational!

Post by Dreamscape »

Thought I would pass this along.

We subscribed for DNS from Directv two weeks ago, sent in the form along with copies of our TX registration and Wahlah, BAM! We are now able to have either feed, east or west. We are very Happy Campers now! ;)
Paul Lawry
Dreamscape
1968 Eagle 01 #7443
Silver 8V92 HT 740

Dreamscape Build Blog: https://dreamscapesilvereagle.wordpress.com/
MrBreeze
Club Member
Club Member

Re: DNS from Directv Operational!

Post by MrBreeze »

What..?????. I Guess I Dont Understand?

Is This Some Kind Of TV Signal For Your Bus?

We Have Direct TV In The House/Shop But Not In The Bus Yet.I Am Wanting To Learn More About My Options.

Thanks
10-4
JOHN
John & Stephanie
1972 Silver Eagle 05 8V71 4 Speed Man.(TRAILWAYS)
1984 Eagle 10 45 Foot... 60 Series / B500
Dreamscape

Post by Dreamscape »

We live in ours full time and have Directv for satellite service. DNS is Distant Network Service. In other words, the only way you can get it is when you fill out an application, which is available from the Directv site. You have to prove you want it for an RV by sending in a copy of your registration. Then you will be able to receive ABC, CBS, NBC, FOX and ION either West or East coast feed. You can't get local major channels without it. The only way to get local is with an off air antenna such at Winegard Sensar w/Batwing.

My wife wanted to be able to record her shows that come on ABC at night, she works the 3-11 pm shift out of our coach. That way she can watch them anytime.
Paul Lawry
Dreamscape
1968 Eagle 01 #7443
Silver 8V92 HT 740

Songman
Club Member
Club Member
FMCA #: F404262
Bus Model: 1993 Silver Eagle Model 15-45

Post by Songman »

Paul,

You mean I can't just take one of my receivers and my extra dish and put in the bus and they will work? I have always heard that you could. And don't see why that wouldn't work. I think it is true that you would only get your normal feed based on your home location unless you pay the extra money for the other coast feed. My father-in-law pays extra to get the East Coast feed because he likes to get the news early.
Dale Houston
1993 Eagle 15-45
Nashville, TN
Boomer
Club Member
Club Member
FMCA #: F352905
Bus Model: 1981 Eagle M10. Stretched, widened, raised to M15/45 specs. Cummins ISM 450, Allison World transmission. Mid entry door.

Post by Boomer »

We have Directv and when we go on the road we just take 2 of our home recievers with us. We have local Portland channels and have had no problem getting them when out on the road. We are even able to get some, but not all, channels down in San Felipe, Baja. I figure the less Directv knows, the better.
Dreamscape

Post by Dreamscape »

Dale, sure you can, but you can't get the major network feeds unless you tune into a local channel with your air antenna wherever you might be. The only way you can get local major networks is if you are unable to get a signal say for CBS or ABC. They go by your billing zip code.
Paul Lawry
Dreamscape
1968 Eagle 01 #7443
Silver 8V92 HT 740

luvrbus
Club Member
Club Member
FMCA #: F262917
Bus Model: 05

Post by luvrbus »

Paul, we use Dish and like Mark we use the recevier from the house and we have never had a problem getting the local stations we have at home on the road using a standard dish.
It is pain sometime to set up but I don't like those humps on the roof

good luck
Dreamscape

Post by Dreamscape »

First, Directv does not offer local channels for zip 79601, that is where we live. Second, in order for us to watch the major networks through DTV so we can record them was to get a DNS waiver. It's a PIA, but it's the only way it will work in our situation. If the local channels would have been available here, we would not have had to go through it. If MDW had not wanted to record the majors, I wouldn't have had to go through it and pay an additional $14.95 a month! It's all her fault! :lol: Besides, it's coming out of her allowance! :lol:

For those of you who now receive locals through your sat provider just don't tell them you move the receiver to the RV. Like Boomer said, the least they know the better you are.
Paul Lawry
Dreamscape
1968 Eagle 01 #7443
Silver 8V92 HT 740

luvrbus
Club Member
Club Member
FMCA #: F262917
Bus Model: 05

Post by luvrbus »

There is no need for me to tell Dish when I unplug the phone line it's a auto 5 bucks extra LOL

good luck

Clifford
Songman
Club Member
Club Member
FMCA #: F404262
Bus Model: 1993 Silver Eagle Model 15-45

Post by Songman »

I've never heard of that, Clifford. Of course, I unplugged my phone line shortly after the installer left three years ago and haven't had it plugged in since. You don't need the phone line unless you are going to buy PPV movies and we have enough channels that we ain't going to do that anyway. All updates and signals you need come through the satellite. I know I would be raising Cain if they thought they were going to charge me $5 for unhooking my phone line. I have Vonage phone and they would be charging me every time I reset my internet connection or the wife unplugs the phone line to vacuum. I would fight that.
Dale Houston
1993 Eagle 15-45
Nashville, TN