Announcement Block
As of 12/1/2021, a major update of the forum software was accomplished

Update: 3/7/2024: The Eagles email account at GoDaddy no longer works. I have set up a gmail account as a workaround: eaglesinternational.email at gmail.com

Registration is open to the public (*) and free from any cost or obligation. Please allow up to 36 hours for your application to be processed. If you have problems registering, please email me at: eaglesinternational.email at gmail.com
(*) spambots will be deleted -- only legitimate public applications will be processed.

Reminder: the "quick links" menu offers you the best navigation of this forum -- you need to be registered and logged in to see that menu.

MiFi instead of WiFi

This is the place to discuss all your tricks and tips of bus life. From how to pack everything you need, to the best on the road recipes.
Dreamscape
FMCA #: F391238
Bus Model: 1968 Silver Eagle Model 01

MiFi instead of WiFi

Post by Dreamscape »

Thought I would share with you something I found today while doing some techy search. Maybe some of you already know this, but I found it interesting just the same.

This new technology offers up to 5 users connected at the same time on a WiFi ready device such as a laptop or desktop. You do not have to be in any Hotspot, as it's created for you. It works on cell phone 3G service, you can take it anywhere!

Here is a piece I found that describes it.

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/05/07/techn ... pogue.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Maybe we should have a technology corner to keep all the electronic stuff in, updates and what's recommended.

Paul
Paul Lawry
Dreamscape
1968 Eagle 01 #7443
Silver 8V92 HT 740

Dreamscape Build Blog: https://dreamscapesilvereagle.wordpress.com/
Songman
Club Member
Club Member
FMCA #: F404262
Bus Model: 1993 Silver Eagle Model 15-45

Re: MiFi instead of WiFi

Post by Songman »

That's pretty cool. I use the same Verizon 3G network on my LG Voyager that this thing does. There have been times when it would have been cool to use the laptop but for the most part the compact size of the Voyager makes it so much more convenient. The best part for me is that I pay $19 per month for the V-cast data plan and I get unlimited data to surf, e-mail, or anything else.

Still, if someone wanted to use their laptop or even their desktop in the bus, this looks pretty cool.
Dale Houston
1993 Eagle 15-45
Nashville, TN
Dreamscape
FMCA #: F391238
Bus Model: 1968 Silver Eagle Model 01

Post by Dreamscape »

Here is an interesting thread that really explains it in the real world.

http://www.rv.net/forums/index.cfm/fuse ... 797578.cfm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Paul Lawry
Dreamscape
1968 Eagle 01 #7443
Silver 8V92 HT 740

Dreamscape Build Blog: https://dreamscapesilvereagle.wordpress.com/
DeBar
Bus Model: 1969 05 #7857 R44
Picked up 8/7/09
Original toilet,bunk on each side over axle between partition walls
Otherwise just about empty and waiting for me
Alabama

Post by DeBar »

I don't have one, but my father does with Verizon wireless and he loves it. No matter where he goes if he can get cell service he can use his laptop and so can anyone else that he wants to (up to 5). When I got my new Smartphone I let him use my old one and and instead of activating it (he likes his phone) he uses the wifi on the smartphone and the tiny mifi stays in his pocket. I think range is about 20-30 feet. It is about the size of one of the large thin packs of gum.
1969 05
8V71
4 Speed
tomhamrick
Club Member
Club Member
FMCA #: F207535
Bus Model: 1981 Eagle Model 10

Post by tomhamrick »

We have had the MiFi for several months and it is great. I am using it while parked at the Cooling in Carolina rally at this moment. We put in on the dash and my wife can surf the net while we are traveling down the road. It reall is your own hotspot.
Tom Hamrick
Tom Hamrick
1981 Eagle 10
1991 Prevost H3-40