Announcement Block
As of 12/1/2021, a major update of the forum software was accomplished

Update: 3/7/2024: The Eagles email account at GoDaddy no longer works. I have set up a gmail account as a workaround: eaglesinternational.email at gmail.com

Registration is open to the public (*) and free from any cost or obligation. Please allow up to 36 hours for your application to be processed. If you have problems registering, please email me at: eaglesinternational.email at gmail.com
(*) spambots will be deleted -- only legitimate public applications will be processed.

Reminder: the "quick links" menu offers you the best navigation of this forum -- you need to be registered and logged in to see that menu.

Which Off Air Antenna Is Best?

This is the place to discuss all your tricks and tips of bus life. From how to pack everything you need, to the best on the road recipes.
Dreamscape
FMCA #: F391238
Bus Model: 1968 Silver Eagle Model 01

Which Off Air Antenna Is Best?

Post by Dreamscape »

Trying to decide which way to go, Winegard Omni Roadstar, or Winegard Sensor III with Wingman. Any experience on what works best?

I like the idea of the Omni, don't have to worry about cranking it down like the Sensor III.

Becky is having withdrawls, she can't watch local ABC!

Thanks,

~Paul~
Paul Lawry
Dreamscape
1968 Eagle 01 #7443
Silver 8V92 HT 740

Dreamscape Build Blog: https://dreamscapesilvereagle.wordpress.com/
EAGLE78550
Bus Model: 1989 Eagle Model 15-45 Entertainer "Gertrude" from the movie "The Rocker "

Re: Which Off Air Antenna Is Best?

Post by EAGLE78550 »

This is just my opinion but I would choose a style that would work with digital signal and then get the converter box as well to pick up on air channels where ever you are ....it is my understanding that the digital styles are much smaller ...more like a sat radio antenna ....pls correct me if I am wrong
I do the difficult everyday ...the impossible just takes a little longer.
gpzzdrm
Club Member
Club Member
FMCA #: F251204
Bus Model: 1978 - 05 / Cummins ISM 450 / Allison HT740

Post by gpzzdrm »

Dreamscape wrote:Trying to decide which way to go, Winegard Omni Roadstar, or Winegard Sensor III with Wingman. Any experience on what works best?

I like the idea of the Omni, don't have to worry about cranking it down like the Sensor III.

Becky is having withdrawls, she can't watch local ABC!

Thanks,

~Paul~
Paul,
I have had Omni Roadstar, Winegard Sensor and now a Braun Concordia (which is electrically powered). I have had very poor experience with the Roadstar, but extraordinary performance with the Concordia. The Winegard and Concordia are both bat wing and I was told by lots of experts back when I was making the decision, the bat wings were the only way to go. I see on your website that you have the Winegard. I think you will find it very acceptable. My concordia picks up digital tv remarkably well and does not need a converter box. I do have all digital tvs in the coach as well.
Bill
1978 05 Eagle with 450HP Cummins ISM / Allison HT740
Started in 1996 and still an in-progress hobby.
Dreamscape
FMCA #: F391238
Bus Model: 1968 Silver Eagle Model 01

Post by Dreamscape »

Hi Bill,

Yes, just installed the Winegard Sensar Batwing. It's working great! We now can get the local ABC, which my wife will be happy to see again. I'm waiting for the Winegard Wingman, should be here on Monday. It will boost the signal, we'll see after it's mounted.

Thanks for the information.

~Paul

Update - I received the Wingman and installed it, now we get a few more channels than before. It works great!

I installed a splitter so the new HDTV in the bedroom can have access to the same signal, we're happy campers now!
Paul Lawry
Dreamscape
1968 Eagle 01 #7443
Silver 8V92 HT 740

Dreamscape Build Blog: https://dreamscapesilvereagle.wordpress.com/
DeBar
Bus Model: 1969 05 #7857 R44
Picked up 8/7/09
Original toilet,bunk on each side over axle between partition walls
Otherwise just about empty and waiting for me
Alabama

Post by DeBar »

Personally I think omni-directional are great if you are in a good signal area. No getting up and turning for each channel if they come from different directions, no forgetting to lower it and they look cleaner on the roof to me.
On the other hand, the crank up directional ones are almost always going to be able to get you a better signal in the fringe areas. That used to be getting a clearer picture or sometimes if it was really bad some snow and some audio so you could at least listen to the tv. But now that digital is all or nothing reception that becomes even more important.
I have a Wineguard crank that I will be putting on, and at some point (very tight budget) I will probably add omni-directional to it so that I can leave the crank down and hidden if I don't need it and use the omni the rest of the time.
1969 05
8V71
4 Speed