Announcement Block
As of 12/1/2021, a major update of the forum software was accomplished

Update: 3/7/2024: The Eagles email account at GoDaddy no longer works. I have set up a gmail account as a workaround: eaglesinternational.email at gmail.com

Registration is open to the public (*) and free from any cost or obligation. Please allow up to 36 hours for your application to be processed. If you have problems registering, please email me at: eaglesinternational.email at gmail.com
(*) spambots will be deleted -- only legitimate public applications will be processed.

Reminder: the "quick links" menu offers you the best navigation of this forum -- you need to be registered and logged in to see that menu.

Protection and Firearms

This is the place to discuss all your tricks and tips of bus life. From how to pack everything you need, to the best on the road recipes.
sstrucinski
Bus Model: 1966 Silver Eagle '04

Re: Protection and Firearms

Post by sstrucinski »

So what you're saying is that I'm screwed. Looks like this little lady is going to need a bigger gun. A flame thrower would be cool too.
Stephanie

1966 Silver Eagle 04
JimGnitecki
Club Member
Club Member
FMCA #: 407798
Bus Model: 1979 Eagle Model 5

Post by JimGnitecki »

sstrucinski wrote:So what you're saying is that I'm screwed. Looks like this little lady is going to need a bigger gun. A flame thrower would be cool too.
Stephanie: "Bigger" gun does not necessarily mean BIG gun or lots of RECOIL.

Just one example:

My 357 Magnum Lady Smith 5-shot revolver is only 6.5" long, 4.75" high, and 1.25" thick. It weighs 23 ounces. It nevertheless carries 5 rounds of 357 Magnum, and 357 Magnum ammuniton can be purchased in MANY different power levels, ranging from "still stronger than 9mm"(about 400 ft lb of energy) to "strong enough to take down a horse with one shot" (well over 600 ft lb of energy). The strength of ammo I carry is based on my individual recoil tolerance (which happens to be high, for me).

My previous carry firearm was a custom semiauto made by Fred Craig. It was considerable smaller than a "Colt Officer Model" (and smaller than my current revolver), weighed 22 ounces, and carried 7 rounds of 38 Super ammunition. Being a semiauto, it was less tolerant of power level variations than a revolver (in order to ensure reliable semiauto operation). Nevertheless, it relaibly, and accurately, fired loads ranging from 115g at 1100 fps (309 ft lb of energy) to 115g at 1400 fps (500 ft lb of energy). The 1400 fps cartridge approximates the stopping power of a lightly loaded 357 Magnum.

You just need to become EDUCATED on firearms a bit, that's all. I would suggest acquiring an excellent book titled "2008 Gun Digest Book of Concealed Carry" by Massad Ayoob. Massas Ayoob is a VERY respected police officer, gun writer, shooting competitor, and expert court witness, whose opinions mean a LOT to many people.

The mission is FAR from hopeless. Just get armed with KNOWLEDGE before getting armed with an actual firearm.

Jim G

p.s. the 38 Super example was just that - an example of a gun/cartidge combinaiton that was small but extremely effective and customizable. That particular cartridge is NOT one that I would recommend to a novice shooter, because getting GOOD ammuniton for it is too hard, for reasons too lengthy to cover here.
Jim Gnitecki
("Jim G")
JimGnitecki@gmail.com
1979 Eagle Model 05 reborn around 1997
sstrucinski
Bus Model: 1966 Silver Eagle '04

Post by sstrucinski »

I'll be the first to admit that I don't know a lot about guns. I was never a gun nut. I never really paid any mind to guns until I met my husband. Sure, my dad always had guns around when we were growing up, but I was never interested in them. My husband however has quite a few. He's a certified NRA instructor and conceal carry instructor. Our first christmas together he bought me the Keltek. I know that gun, I shoot that gun, I'm comfortable with that gun, but I really LOVE his glocks. Most of the classes he teaches I tag along cause I learn something new every time. It's also a good opportunity to shoot.

I've heard of Massad Ayoob, he really knows his stuff. We probably have one of his books in our library, if not I'll find one.
Stephanie

1966 Silver Eagle 04
DeBar
Bus Model: 1969 05 #7857 R44
Picked up 8/7/09
Original toilet,bunk on each side over axle between partition walls
Otherwise just about empty and waiting for me
Alabama

Post by DeBar »

I skimmed through to see if anyone had added this link and did not see it.

http://www.handgunlaw.us/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I am going to go back and read through all of the posts, but found this site to be very helpful and seeing how long this thread was I wanted to post this for everyone before I read through all of the posts. If it was in there great. If not I thought it might be helpful for someone while I read through the 5 pages of posts. From the states that I have checked the information is very accurate and it has links to the official sites for each state. The map is great, you click on your state of residence and it shows you the states that you can carry in and then goes state by state to let you know what rules you need to know for each of those states. I hope this helps. I found it interesting to see what states have reciprocity for ccw with others.
akroyaleagle
Club Member
Club Member
FMCA #: F180747
Bus Model: 1978 Model 05

Post by akroyaleagle »

Debar,

That is a great post.

I like references instead of I heard.
Joe Laird
'78 05
Sioux Falls, SD
DeBar
Bus Model: 1969 05 #7857 R44
Picked up 8/7/09
Original toilet,bunk on each side over axle between partition walls
Otherwise just about empty and waiting for me
Alabama

Post by DeBar »

I tried to pot this a little while ago and it didn't go so I hope I don't get a double post.

The map is really great, just click on your state of residence and it will show you the states that you are allowed to carry with a CCW permit from that state. I think this would come in handy for those owners who have multiple options for their state of residency. If you "reside" in one state you may be able to carry in 10 other states, but a different state may have reciprocity with 20 states. When weighing the pros and cons of residency this could be important for some in making that decision.
Also if a state is red does not always mean that you can not have your firearm with you. You should read the specific information for that state because it could have more details about additional restrictions For example I am pretty sure that as a resident of Al although NM is red on the map, if you read the details it says that you can keep it in your vehicle but you may not carry it. I read a LOT so some of it blurs together and if I travel that way I will re-read it so I know all of the details.
Of course as an Eagle owner I should say WHEN I travel out to Q I will need to confirm all info. :)
1969 05
8V71
4 Speed