Announcement Block
As of 12/1/2021, a major update of the forum software was accomplished

Update: 3/7/2024: The Eagles email account at GoDaddy no longer works. I have set up a gmail account as a workaround: eaglesinternational.email at gmail.com

Registration is open to the public (*) and free from any cost or obligation. Please allow up to 36 hours for your application to be processed. If you have problems registering, please email me at: eaglesinternational.email at gmail.com
(*) spambots will be deleted -- only legitimate public applications will be processed.

Reminder: the "quick links" menu offers you the best navigation of this forum -- you need to be registered and logged in to see that menu.

Notes to self. . .

This is the place to discuss all your tricks and tips of bus life. From how to pack everything you need, to the best on the road recipes.
Sunchaser Art
Board Member
Board Member
FMCA #: F351294
Bus Model: 1988 Eagle 15

Notes to self. . .

Post by Sunchaser Art »

I don't really have much to contribute other than three notes:

1) Don't put the spitoon on the dashboard while driving;
2) Tobacco juice doesn't make the CB work any better;
3) Don't keep the tank deodorizer near the mouthwash in the bathroom.

Don't ask. . .

Art
Songman
Club Member
Club Member
FMCA #: F404262
Bus Model: 1993 Silver Eagle Model 15-45

Re: Notes to self. . .

Post by Songman »

4) Don't sit your cup down on Art & Cindy's bus unless you are through with it.
Dale Houston
1993 Eagle 15-45
Nashville, TN
van
Club Member
Club Member

Post by van »

5) Never,Never assume that Road Gremlin's won't play with any thing that is not secured. :roll:
Dreamscape
FMCA #: F391238
Bus Model: 1968 Silver Eagle Model 01

Post by Dreamscape »

6) Always have a supply of cool beverages on hand, you never know when I might need one!
Paul Lawry
Dreamscape
1968 Eagle 01 #7443
Silver 8V92 HT 740

Dreamscape Build Blog: https://dreamscapesilvereagle.wordpress.com/
JimGnitecki
Club Member
Club Member
FMCA #: 407798
Bus Model: 1979 Eagle Model 5

Post by JimGnitecki »

7. Never get on a bus without money in your pocket or a credit card with a generous credit line.
Jim Gnitecki
("Jim G")
JimGnitecki@gmail.com
1979 Eagle Model 05 reborn around 1997
Eagle Andy
Club Member
Club Member
FMCA #: F299044
Bus Model: 1968 SE Model 05

Post by Eagle Andy »

In preperation for our upcoming trip to Ennis mt , I put the finishing touches on the carpet in the bedroom made sure the engine compartment hatch was in place . As I always to before I hit the road whether in my otr truck or the bus I do my pretrip, everything was in order . So I fliped the switch for the on board compresser to fill the air and gathered up the wife and the wee one's ( chico & suzie ) jumped in the captians seat and fired up the old gal, purring like a kittin oil pressure , amps, seat belts , released the brakes shifted in to drive and pulled out of the yard and on to the road.
Got to the highway that leads to the interstate all'a well . Get to the interstate and gave her the gas . There we are sailing done the road windows open to let the fresh montana air in , and about three miles into the journey I notice a instent blast of warm air and Iam thinking what's up with this, My wife get's up for a quick check and come running to the front of the bus yelling YOU BETTER PULL OVER. my first thought was my goodness we are on fire the somke detector going off and it's still getting warm in the bus. So I hit the 4ways and pull of reaching for the fire ext my say's the engine lid blew off moved the carpet and the heat coming from the engine. I was a little embaressed but thankful that was the only problem. We got her all settled in and back in place and got back to are shake down cruise . A lession learned , When we got home I went to ace oicked up some new screws and finished what I should have before we left. Anyway I guess the best laid plansLOL all else went well and we our both looking forward to our upcoming trip to Ennis .
Andy Wright 68 Silver Eagle Model 5 8V92 #7481
BoxcarOkie

Re: Best Laid Plans

Post by BoxcarOkie »

The above is a picture of my friend, Larry, his wife Cenda, and my wife Yoko. They are standing beside Larry’s 95 Prevo, his pride and joy. Not long ago, Larry traded off his Eagle and made what he thought was a good call, and stepped up to a Prevost coach manufactured by Liberty. It is a 95 model with a series 60 Detroit.

I call it Larry’s Traveling Cat House, because they travel with four cats, three that they owned, one they found starving at WalMart not too long ago.

This morning, I am reading with some amusement the stories of people getting on the road with their Eagles (surely my problems have been well documented here too) and I think about Larry’s recent trip back home to Ohio to see his family and spend Father’s Day.

When they come thru our city, we meet and have dinner and visit with each other, trade stories, catch up on the news.

Larry recently made a trip from his home in Arizona to Columbus Ohio. What you might describe as an annual pilgrimage home to see the family. Before leaving Arizona it was discovered that the Prevo had a problem in the air conditioning system, and it was put in the shop, of course the parts were not handy (had to be ordered) so it sat there for about two weeks, and when retrieved the bill was for $4,800 and some change.

Ahhhhhhhhh, the joys of bus ownership.

Packing up and everything in good working order, or at least assuming that everything was in good working order? They hit the road east and make about 225 miles, when something goes amiss in the air system, and the bus lowers itself to a “kneeling position” and becomes un-drivable. A shop is called, and room is made, the air leak is found and the check is written, $280.00. I thank my lucky stars that I have a torsion bar suspension system, even tho it is archaic and outdated, it is still better than this.

Next day finds them in Tucumcari, New Mexico just down the big hill from Amarillo, the series 60 Detroit is starving for fuel and barely has enough energy in it to make the top of the hill. Not any particular hill mind you, just about any hill. Another diesel shop, Q&A, the whole nine yards, new fuel filters, carefully putting up the check book, here we go again.

Next stop Okie City, home of the Brickyard Canal and Toby Keith Steakhouse. (Maybe)

After a nice short visit, our friends depart for St. Louie and points east, at least that is the plan. They make it up to Missouri, barely inside The Show Me State, and are once again, put in the “foot patrol.”
This time it is a clutch fan, and it is on Sunday.

Pulling into a truck stop and assuming a spot, they call road service, and a local guy comes out after church, and removes the errant clutch fan and assures them a new one will be on the next day. Now Prevo’s have two types of clutch fans, the $800 model and the $1,400 model, which one do you suppose Larry needed?

After replacement, installation, service and labor, they head onto to Columbus, Ohio. They make it all the way there, well almost, they are shut down 150 miles from their destination, clogged fuel filters again.

You know the drill.

I call him three days later and all is well (of course it is, the bus hasn’t been running and has been parked all this time) and he says “I still have one problem.” So I say “What is that?” He replies, “Well, I came out this morning and the thing is kneeling again, and down on all fours. I just cannot figure it out?” He then tells me that he is going to check on it at the Diesel Shop later on in the week. He is in the market for a six pack and I am not talking Bud Lite (fuel filters).

A few days go by, so I pick up the telephone and I give him a jingle, kind of wanting to touch base with him and see what he is up to. We talk for awhile and then he offers, “I got the air problem solved.”

Curious I respond, “Yeah? What was it?”

So here is the setup, for the uneducated or curious. Prevost coaches are loaded usually with all the bells and whistles, they have miles of wiring, electrical relays out the kazoo, they are also generously equipped with a host of switches and dials. He has a bank of switches up near the driver and on this bank there are two push button switches that “dump air” out of the system, in case you wanted to level the coach or for some other reason.

Intently I listen and then he says to me …….. “Dog-gone cat did it, don’t know which one, but one of them suckers, has been walking around up there by the dash, stepped on the switch, and let all the air out of the coach.” So I said, “You sure?” His reply was, “Yup. I aired it back up on Tuesday and then I covered up the switches and it has been up for three days now!”

Which brings me to this …. “The owner of a second hand bus knows how hard it is to drive a bargain” … I cannot wait for the back-haul to Arizona.

Life is short … Enjoy the ride.
No I didn't say that ... Must have been some other guy.
ldsrr91@gmail.com
http://boxcarokie.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://boxcarokie.com/eagle-bus-life/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://boxcarokie.com/eagle-bus-photos/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;