Announcement Block
As of 12/1/2021, a major update of the forum software was accomplished

Update: 3/7/2024: The Eagles email account at GoDaddy no longer works. I have set up a gmail account as a workaround: eaglesinternational.email at gmail.com

Registration is open to the public (*) and free from any cost or obligation. Please allow up to 36 hours for your application to be processed. If you have problems registering, please email me at: eaglesinternational.email at gmail.com
(*) spambots will be deleted -- only legitimate public applications will be processed.

Reminder: the "quick links" menu offers you the best navigation of this forum -- you need to be registered and logged in to see that menu.

Does Anyone Use CB Radio Anymore

This is the place to discuss all your tricks and tips of bus life. From how to pack everything you need, to the best on the road recipes.
Dreamscape
FMCA #: F391238
Bus Model: 1968 Silver Eagle Model 01

Does Anyone Use CB Radio Anymore

Post by Dreamscape »

I have a Cobra CB radio that is almost brand new. Was wondering if anyone uses them anymore? I don't want to install it unless it's one of those necessary things that you use once in a while. If so, what channel do RV'ers use?
Paul Lawry
Dreamscape
1968 Eagle 01 #7443
Silver 8V92 HT 740

Dreamscape Build Blog: https://dreamscapesilvereagle.wordpress.com/
van
Club Member
Club Member

Re: Does Anyone Use CB Radio Anymore

Post by van »

I still do, I know that most coverage would normally be on ch 19 and channel 10 up certain corridors in the U.S. I need to get a new one as the power supply I had it hooked up to here in the home 20 took a dump and took the radio with it, but yes, we still use it.
Also adds to the feeling good factor, as you travel down the hiways and by ways, in allowing those traveling around you to have a chance to compliment the bus as you zoom by in style :D . The new er models have dedicated weather band freq's available so's you can avoid bad weather. Although considered primitive by today s standards, will be most usefull when, if the com grid ever failed ( Lord help us :cry: )

On the side...
Songman
Club Member
Club Member
FMCA #: F404262
Bus Model: 1993 Silver Eagle Model 15-45

Post by Songman »

I've used CBs for 30+ years. I have a Cobra 29 in the garage that will eventually be in whatever bus I have. I use it in the Jeep when I go off in the woods too. (We end up in places with no cell service.)

My CB has saved me many times in the past. No so much because of needing it to call for help, but just being able to talk to people on long night drives to help stay awake. I figure I will always have one.
Dale Houston
1993 Eagle 15-45
Nashville, TN
beltguy
Site Admin
Site Admin
FMCA #: F246286
Bus Model: 1985 Eagle 10 with Series 60 and Eaton AutoShift 10 speed transmission (SOLD)

Post by beltguy »

We continue to use our CB when driving. Truckers don't talk as much as they used to (maybe that is a good thing :shock: ).

I find that the truckers still have their radios on (mostly 19) and still warn each other when a traffic issue comes up. Whenever I hear the word "break check", I turn the volume up and slow down. I can't say that it has saved my bacon, but it sure helps to know that there is an issue on the road.

We ran into some black ice a couple of years ago in Texas and I did not have the radio on. Saw truckers going the other way with flashers on and when I turned the CB on, it was "alive" with talks about the road conditions. Since then, I try to double check to make sure it is on.

It is on a switch that I leave on most of the time and I tend to turn the radio off when we are parked. Then I forget to turn it on when we leave. It has become one of the check list items when we start out.

I have never had the Cobra CB weather option warn me of an issue. Not sure why. We have a weather radio that I rely on for that.

Jim
Jim Shepherd
Evergreen, CO
'85 Eagle 10 with Series 60 & Eaton AutoShift 10 speed transmission SOLD
2005 Dodge 2500 with 5.9 Cummins and 6 speed manual 2022 Sunset 28 foot trailer
Bus Project pages: http://beltguy.com/Bus_Project/busproject.htm
Blog: https://beltguy.com/Travelogue/
Email: eaglesinternational.email at gmail.com   NOTE this email box is only for general correspondence related to the forum and not technical advice.  Technical questions will not receive a response.
Eagle Andy
Club Member
Club Member
FMCA #: F299044
Bus Model: 1968 SE Model 05

Post by Eagle Andy »

Hey Paul , I use mine everyday. I have one in the bus and like Jim and the others said they are nice to have ,You may not use it very much but the time will come that you wish you had it. You wil know along time before the 4 wheelers do if something went to shit ahead of you . FWIW Andy
Andy Wright 68 Silver Eagle Model 5 8V92 #7481
luvrbus
Club Member
Club Member
FMCA #: F262917
Bus Model: 05

Post by luvrbus »

I still use mine not much on channel 19 because of the language traveling with the grandkids sometimes.
Most RVers and buses use 13,15 and channel 22 you get to hear some good jokes or lies whatever about 10 o'clock at night at the WalMart campgrounds on the cb's.
If you ever see Sean on the road in his Neo he is always on channel 19 me I am on 15 most of the time.
Anyone up for a Eagle channel only LOL you know we are a different bunch

good luck
Clifford
Last edited by luvrbus on Sat Dec 26, 2009 4:12 pm, edited 2 times in total.
MrBreeze
Club Member
Club Member

Post by MrBreeze »

WOW, CB Radios.... One Of My Many Loves.

My Father Was Heavy Into CB Radios His Whole Life. I Grew Up In Front Of A Lafeyete Base Radio And Then Onto A Cobra 2000 With (Funny Channels) Aw.... The Memories.....(Still Own Both)+ 100 Others :roll: :oops: :o 8-)

I Have Spent Many Days With No Sleep Talking And Listening. It Is A Very Addicting Hobbie.!!!!! Kinda Like Going To The BAR. You Dont Want To Leave Because Your Afraid You Will Miss Something :lol: :lol:

I Have Met Many Good People On The CB. One Guy (High Flyer)Has Been My Close Friend For About 25 Years.

I Have A Small Warehouse Of CB Radio Equipment.(Mine & My Fathers)
(I Miss You DAD :cry: )
Everything A CB Nut Would Ever Want. Base Radios Of All Makes And Power Outputs,Mod Mics And Many High Power Lineirs.I Am Building Myself A System Now That I Should Be Able To Talk To Mars.

How About A SILVER EAGLE MIC ??? Have You Ever Seen One.??? There Very Cool... They Are Called A Lollypop.(D-104)(I Can Take A Picture Of Mine).If You Want To See One. Something ALL Eagle CB Nuts Should Have.!!!

KPH-5491 Mr Breeze 10-10 And On The Side.
Keep The Sunnyside Up And The Rubber Side Down
Wees Bees And Im Back Out...10-4

JOHN
John & Stephanie
1972 Silver Eagle 05 8V71 4 Speed Man.(TRAILWAYS)
1984 Eagle 10 45 Foot... 60 Series / B500
Dreamscape
FMCA #: F391238
Bus Model: 1968 Silver Eagle Model 01

Post by Dreamscape »

Wow, great replies guys! OK it's settled, now I just have to buy an antenna and find a good spot to mount it.

Eagle channel, that would be cool, one all to ourselves until they find it! Woo Hoo! :lol:
Paul Lawry
Dreamscape
1968 Eagle 01 #7443
Silver 8V92 HT 740

Dreamscape Build Blog: https://dreamscapesilvereagle.wordpress.com/
luvrbus
Club Member
Club Member
FMCA #: F262917
Bus Model: 05

Post by luvrbus »

John, thats funny hearing call letters for the CB mine was KEE 1367 catch you on the fip flop

good luck

Clifford
MrBreeze
Club Member
Club Member

Post by MrBreeze »

Rodger Good Buddy 3s Back At Cha,,,,,
" Pop The Whip And Do The Trip"
Double 703 Wees Bees kph-5491 (MR BREEZE)
And Im Back OUT..............
WOW...The Memories.
I Can Remember Having My Coax Cut Early One Morning !! I Was Running A Lot Of Power And Must Have Pist Off A Neighbor ?? :oops:

Paul..Antennas Are Another Thing. As Long As You Can Get Your SWR's Down Low You Should Be Good For A Few Miles With Stock Stuff. But, Then There Are Those Days When You Can Talk To Florida Or Where Ever SKIP LAND Wants To Take You.......

Before Cell Phones There Were CB Radio's

10-4 Goodbuddy. (Means Something Different Today) :lol: :lol: :lol: :o :oops:

How About It SKIP LAND, SKIP LAND. SKIP LAND Double 703 Denver Colorado Looking For Ya Come-On.. BREAK !! BREAK !!
Mr Breeze Standing 10-10- And On The Side... Im BACK OUT !!!!!

What An Addiction..... (Modulation Junkie) BEEP.!!

JOHN (Got A Take A 10-100) :? :lol: :lol:
John & Stephanie
1972 Silver Eagle 05 8V71 4 Speed Man.(TRAILWAYS)
1984 Eagle 10 45 Foot... 60 Series / B500