Announcement Block
As of 12/1/2021, a major update of the forum software was accomplished

Update: 3/7/2024: The Eagles email account at GoDaddy no longer works. I have set up a gmail account as a workaround: eaglesinternational.email at gmail.com

Registration is open to the public (*) and free from any cost or obligation. Please allow up to 36 hours for your application to be processed. If you have problems registering, please email me at: eaglesinternational.email at gmail.com
(*) spambots will be deleted -- only legitimate public applications will be processed.

Reminder: the "quick links" menu offers you the best navigation of this forum -- you need to be registered and logged in to see that menu.

On Top (The Roof)

This is the place to discuss all your tricks and tips of bus life. From how to pack everything you need, to the best on the road recipes.
History

On Top (The Roof)

Post by History »

I've wondered while looking at these clean buses with straight lines how strong the roof/top is. It looks like none of the eagles I've seen use any type of roof rack or even a ladder to go up. What is the best way to wash or wax the top? Does anyone use the top for storage of any kind? I know there are ac units, satellite dishes, cameras and lights. What other uses have been found if any?

This may belong in the general section and feel free to move or edit this post.

Barry
rusty
FMCA #: F341087
Bus Model: 1972 05 completed 2003
1994 15/45 in progress

Re: On Top (The Roof)

Post by rusty »

Barry The roof is strong enough to walk on I tend to stay on the ribs. If it was foamed then it is safe to walk anywhere. I am getting old and use the forklift to get on the top. I use to use a movable catwalk but required standing on the rail to get on top. I for one do not like to but to much stuff on the roof, but I have seen all kinds of stuff up there. ( stand up solar panels, Observation decks with access thru the roof)

Wayne
beltguy
Site Admin
Site Admin
FMCA #: F246286
Bus Model: 1985 Eagle 10 with Series 60 and Eaton AutoShift 10 speed transmission (SOLD)

Post by beltguy »

Interesting question.

I would guess that Eagle did not design the roof with extra loads/stuff in mind. Aside from some very infrequent maintenance on passenger buses, there would be no need to be on the roof.

However, I suspect they put a lot of thought and design effort into crash worthiness and the roof would have to withstand a lot of loading in a roll over situation. We benefit from that design.

As Wayne said, you can walk on the roof all day and not cause damage. I, too, try to walk/stand on the cross member (can see with the rivets).

With the curved surface, special care must be taken to prevent falling off - especially if the roof is wet from washing. I try to work on mine in the shop with my fall protection, if possible.

Jim
Jim Shepherd
Evergreen, CO
'85 Eagle 10 with Series 60 & Eaton AutoShift 10 speed transmission SOLD
2005 Dodge 2500 with 5.9 Cummins and 6 speed manual 2022 Sunset 28 foot trailer
Bus Project pages: http://beltguy.com/Bus_Project/busproject.htm
Blog: https://beltguy.com/Travelogue/
Email: eaglesinternational.email at gmail.com   NOTE this email box is only for general correspondence related to the forum and not technical advice.  Technical questions will not receive a response.
luvrbus
Club Member
Club Member
FMCA #: F262917
Bus Model: 05

Post by luvrbus »

Ladders are not good lol I used a ladder to climb on the top to power wash the top of my bus some how when I pulled for more hose I knocked the ladder down and was stranded on the top of the bus for a couple of hours before a person driving down the road noticed me flagging for help :D true story now I carry a cell phone in my pocket the AZ heat sucks on a roof top
beltguy
Site Admin
Site Admin
FMCA #: F246286
Bus Model: 1985 Eagle 10 with Series 60 and Eaton AutoShift 10 speed transmission (SOLD)

Post by beltguy »

Clifford, I had to laugh. I did the same thing with an air hose when putting the shingles on the shop. In my case I was able to flag a neighbor across the road and it was not in the heat conditions you experience.

Jim
Jim Shepherd
Evergreen, CO
'85 Eagle 10 with Series 60 & Eaton AutoShift 10 speed transmission SOLD
2005 Dodge 2500 with 5.9 Cummins and 6 speed manual 2022 Sunset 28 foot trailer
Bus Project pages: http://beltguy.com/Bus_Project/busproject.htm
Blog: https://beltguy.com/Travelogue/
Email: eaglesinternational.email at gmail.com   NOTE this email box is only for general correspondence related to the forum and not technical advice.  Technical questions will not receive a response.
AQUALAUGE
Bus Model: 45' Model 15 Factory Raised Roof

Post by AQUALAUGE »

The roof is plenty strong to do as you please within reason and if weight is properly distributed. I have toyed with the idea of a rooftop deck but to make it safe it would require significant time and effort. the 2 main things with an Eagle roof is 1) anytime walking up there be cautious of the seams to avoid leaks. If you put foot pressure just before or aft of a seam it could pop the factory adhesive. 2) if you plan on a roof top deck, engineer it with little to no holes if possible, again to avoid leaks. Mine would utilize 3M VHB Double Sided Foam Adhesive Tape 5952 (100% coverage) and a large fillet of siaflex on each side of square tubing. I would run about 4 rows of square aluminum tube rails the length of the coach at four parallel uniformly spaced locations keeping the weight evenly distributed. I would only recommend doing a rooftop deck if it is clear of anything other than the tank vent or maybe a satellite dish (meaning basement air over rooftop). Again, weight distribution is key.

Regardless of the use, Before you do anything, I would scrub it clean, wire brush the seams, fillet seal the seams with sikaflex, repaint (I used KM Industrial paint from Kelly Moore). Remove and replace every light if possible, again resealing them with a fillet of sika. When we had gutted our '93, EVERY roof hole had leaked at one time or another (southern run coach) and I would imagine as good of shape as ours was in, this would be true with most all Eagles. Also check out amesresearch.com. I used their 6" tape over every seam on ours after the sika application. Just my opinion for what its worth...Hope this helps.