In 2004 I wrote and article for Bus Conversions Magazine that discussed various aspects of Bus and Motor Home fires.
The two main elements of the article are:
- The presentation of studies of causes of bus fires (conducted in Finland in 2000 and 2001)
- Discussion of how fire extinguishing system work and what types of fire suppression materials are available.
Included in the article is a discussion of the four classes of fires and how various fire suppression agents fight the fire.
Here is the link to the article
Bus_Motorhome fire article 100
Several years ago I wrote an article for our Eagles International Chapter Newsletter on the subject of doing a pre-trip inspection with an emphasis on the air brake system. Here is a link to that article:
Eagles International article on air brake
This article was published in the April 2009 issue Bus Conversion Magazine. It is published on this site with their permission.
This article is presented for the use of Eagles International forum members and is not to be republished without written permission of the author or Bus Conversion Magazine
Here is the link to the article: BCM Wheel Bearing Article
This article details a conversion from a 5 wire taillight system (like that found on an Eagle Bus) to a 4 wire system (most trailers and toad vehicles. while there are commercial converters available, many are not reliable. This article details a very reliable circuit made with standard automotive relays.
Trailer and Toad Wiring Conversion
Published in May 2011 issue of Bus Conversions Magazine
By Jim Shepherd
This is an article that discusses why relays are so prevalent in many of our Eagles. It discusses various kinds and uses of relays with an emphasis on the mini-ISO relays.
Link: May 2011 BCM Relay Article
This article is published with permission from Bus Conversions Magazine
Three part article published in the Oct./Nov./Dec. issues of Bus Conversions magazine
Articles written by Jim Shepherd
Part One of this article appeared in the October, 2009 issue of Bus Conversions Magazine.
Link: BCM Engine Conversion Article Part 1
Part Two appeared in the November 2009 issue of Bus Conversions Magazine.
- Should I modify my two-stroke engine for more power?
- If I do a conversion, should I stay with a two-stroke and use a bigger engine or go to a four-stroke engine?
- If I do a conversion, should I use a mechanical or electronic engine?
Link: BCM Engine Conversion Article Part 2
Part Three of appeared in the December 2009 issue of Bus Conversions Magazine.
- Will a conversion increase my mileage? Is there a
- reasonable payback with increased mileage?
- What are the costs involved in an engine conversion/power upgrade?
- Should I think about doing the conversion myself?
- What systems will have to be fabricated?
Link: BCM Engine Conversion Article Part 3
- Why will I need to change my gearing for a four-stroke conversion?
- What about cooling problems?
- Will I have to do any special structural modifications?
These articles are published with permission of Bus Conversions Magazine
by Jim Shepherd
Published May 2011 issue of Bus Conversions Magazine
In this article we discuss modification to our headlight wiring circuit and explore headlight technology available for our buses that will allow us to drive safely at night.
- Headlight Size/Shape
- Headlight Technology History
- Upgrade your Bus Wiring
- Upgrade Headlight Technology
Emphasis in the article includes using relays to assure full voltage at the headlights. Included is a schematic for the relay wiring.
Note: this article was written in 2011 and does not discuss developing technology (HID and LED)
The article mentions an article on relays that will help the reader understand their function. That article is also posted on this website.
Article Link: Improve Bus Headlights
This article is published with permission from Bus Conversions Magazine.